2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

On 11/23/2023 at 6:33 PM, Tiger337 said:

Given the absurdity of his opponent, I still think he could win if inflation makes a dramatic turn for the better in time for people to notice it.  He is a weak candidate though regardless given his age and his poor communication skills.  People here have pointed out that he has done some good things in terms of policy, but 90% of the country is never going to notice that stuff. It's all about perception.  

Today, at thankgiving a dinner, a relative was saying that Biden was terrible because of inflation and needs to go.  He said that Trump was stupid but surrounds himself with really smart people and was great for the economy.  I asked him to name a smart person around Trump.  He admitted that he didn't know and just made that assumption based on how good the economy was.  That's just an example of how perception is everything.  

The curse of a social system that neither teaches nor values critical thinking skills.

• Like 1

I think Trump earned his second term loss.

The only way I can see Trump winning is that reasonable people stay home and/or Republicans fix election results in swing states. I see no way a reasonable person abandons Biden for Trump, and despite all the fashionable dark-joke cynicism we see about the American people as a class, there are more reasonable people than irrational people. Remember, Trumpism has lost hm three straight election cycles, and he and that party are doubling down on the very thing that lost those elections for them.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The only way I can see Trump winning is that reasonable people stay home and/or Republicans fix election results in swing states. I see no way a reasonable person abandons Biden for Trump, and despite all the fashionable dark-joke cynicism we see about the American people as a class, there are more reasonable people than irrational people. Remember, Trumpism has lost hm three straight election cycles, and he and that party are doubling down on the very thing that lost those elections for them.

You may be making a mistake in assuming we have enough reasonable voters.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I also am of the belief that, at some point, Trump is actually going to have to go out and make an affirmative case for why people should vote for him. And as someone who has watched more clips of him at the moment than most, I don't actually think he's capable of it, particularly with the voters he needs to win in these swing states (ie. in the suburbs).... if anything, as much as people fret about Biden and even with the issues that Biden and his administration have on their plate, Trump is without a doubt less capable of doing it at the moment than Biden.

The issue at the moment is that the general election has not actually started, people are not thinking seriously about the campaign, and Trump is largely out of the picture. I know people still who do not think that either of these guys will actually be the nominee (spoiler alert: they both will be). Of course, even stating these things means "you aren't taking the threat seriously", which is about as far from the truth as can be in my case as I am very concerned that he can win. But it's just the reality at the moment.

As for the polling, this far out, again, I hope that the main takeaway is to use the data in these polls to help formulate a message to shore up support with various groups needed to beat Trump... treating it like an exercise in problem solving and putting in the hard work that campaigns require to win.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I also am of the belief that, at some point, Trump is actually going to have to go out and make an affirmative case for why people should vote for him. And as someone who has watched more clips of him at the moment than most, I don't actually think he's capable of it, particularly with the voters he needs to win in these swing states (ie. in the suburbs).... if anything, as much as people fret about Biden and even with the issues that Biden and his administration have on their plate, Trump is without a doubt less capable of doing it at the moment than Biden.

I admire your dedication and enthusiasm to politics, but Trump has been a high profile idiot and douche for 50 years.  If poeople haven't figured that out by now, they never will.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I admire your dedication and enthusiasm to politics, but Trump has been a high profile idiot and douche for 50 years.  If poeople haven't figured that out by now, they never will.  

I never said that anything about voters not understanding who Trump is or isn't. I am saying that, at some point, he will be asked, probably frequently, to make an affirmative case as to why he should be elected. What are his plans for when he returns to office... ie. the issues.

But I know, it doesn't matter lol

I never said that anything about voters not understanding who Trump is or isn't. I am saying that, at some point, he will be asked, probably frequently, to make an affirmative case as to why he should be elected. What are his plans for when he returns to office... ie. the issues.

He has had plenty of chances to state his case and all he does is insult people, say incredibly stupid stuff and make goofy faces.  Why are you pretending that he's a normal candidate who's going to suddenly talk seriously about issues?  He's not.  The only way to beat him is to have record numbers of people vote like in 2020.  The onus is on Democrats to make that happen.  

Edited by Tiger337

Well, Trump has already affirmatively stated what his plans are for when he returns to office, and it's going to be nothing but revenge and retribution for all his enemies, which is basically anyone with a different color hat. It's actually the only thing he's said that he is gonna do, as far as I can tell. Unless you're waiting for him to make the affirmative case to the American people about what he's going to do about the federal budget and tax negotiations and all that, in which case, lol. 😉

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

He has had plenty of chances to state his case and all he does is insult people, say incredibly stupid stuff and make goofy faces.  Why are you pretending that he's a normal candidate who's going to suddenly talk seriously about issues?  He's not.  The only way to beat him is to have record numbers of people vote like in 2020.  The onus is on Democrats to make that happen.  

I think Trump himself is going to make a lot of that happen. Just like last time.

At some point, after he secures the nomination and before the general, Trump will go through a 2-3 week stint where people will say 'he looks presidential' and he'll focus on some serious issues talk.  He will go right back off of the rails, but he'll take some folks on the fence that get worried it's all about retribution and are hesitant to vote for him with him though.

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

person, woman , man , camera, tv. 

I do think he may have mixed them up on purpose, but that doesn't make him look any better.  Probably worse.   

It’s probably not unlike how some people botch pronouncing other people’s names on purpose as a sign of disrespect. How many different pronunciations have we heard of the vice president’s first name?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It’s probably not unlike how some people botch pronouncing other people’s names on purpose as a sign of disrespect. How many different pronunciations have we heard of the vice president’s first name?

as a wrestling fan growing up I still fall into the "kuh-mah-la" pronounciation instead of "kah-muh-luh".  Seems more natural to me.  But

NOtice that Christie has fallen back to referring to Trump as "Donald".

Just now, chasfh said:

What do you think that's about? I'm not aware of any implication attached to it.

He's dropping him back to his NYC days as tabloid fodder and reality show star.  A person at a B/C celebrity level.

Typically, before norms and decorum went into the wastebasket, a former President would be given some kind of deference.  We don't have a modern precedent really of a former President running again to know for sure but I suspect if Jimmy Carter or George HW Bush ran again, they'd be called Mr. Carter or Mr. Bush, if not "The former President" by their primary opponents.  Maybe not.

I feel badly for Jen Psaki, she is really going to miss out.  I was going to date her, but then I thought "No. You guys are going to elect Trump again...well not exactly, the Electoral College will elect him again...and 6 months later Jen will be in prison".  So, I'm not proud of it, I said I would call her but I didn't.  I just feel like I should be honest with everyone, I am not the perfect boyfriend for someone who is in prison.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1