On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

In fastpitch softball, the Jugs machine is routinely brought in for parent/kid scrimmages at the end of practice.  We have to make hitting either the machine or the bucket of balls an automatic ground rule double and stipulate that nobody is to bunt so the person feeding the machine doesn't try to make plays in front of the machine which if you do, you are likely to get burned by the wheel.   The result is that the kids do try to hit it up the middle and the parent fielding that machine has to have cat like reflexes.  

I know there's been a lot of notice on the glut of high schoolers drafted this year, but one thing that is striking is comparing it to 2022, which was an all-college draft for the Detroit Tigers system.

They really kinda needed to get a little younger to prop up the lower levels of the farm system, it stands to reason.

Connors State must have a robust NIL program....

Guys like this used to go to the NY Penn League or a similar short season circuit.  He's probably too far along to be in the FCL...may not be room for him in Lakeland.  The Connecticut Tigers were a great place to park college draftees and UDFA's. I think they erred in eliminating that short season A tier

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I know there's been a lot of notice on the glut of high schoolers drafted this year, but one thing that is striking is comparing it to 2022, which was an all-college draft for the Detroit Tigers system.

They really kinda needed to get a little younger to prop up the lower levels of the farm system, it stands to reason.

I've been bitching about this for years. That has been going on for a while.

I believe the Tigers were underfunding the development staff and drafting guys after a few years in college. Not singling out a specific pick or draft, just overall for the last several years. I think their inept development shows up in the lack of international success stories too. The few they have originally signed that have acheived success have done so after moving on to other organizations.

32 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Connors State must have a robust NIL program....

Guys like this used to go to the NY Penn League or a similar short season circuit.  He's probably too far along to be in the FCL...may not be room for him in Lakeland.  The Connecticut Tigers were a great place to park college draftees and UDFA's. I think they erred in eliminating that short season A tier

I'm thinking Baseball simply didn't want to fund those lowest leagues anymore, probably because the hit rate on players who would end up going there was so low. I'm guessing that now, players like you mention, who used to go in the 20- or 30- or 40-somethingth round, now go undrafted and if they want to pursue a pro career, they can develop in independent leagues on someone else's dime.

So that Torkmoil account is not very reliable, but I did see a tweet from a Canadian former Blue Jays/Expos writer with a couple thousand followers before the Torkmoil tweet that reported that, and that catcher is Canadian so it is possible that is well sourced. Anyways, if you believe Clark signed at #4 money, that is 640k saved there, and you have about 750k to play with in the 5% buffer. Throw in any savings in the back half of the Top 10 and that is what we have to throw around.

It would be just like that Torkmoil account to lift that info and pass it off as his own though.

Edited by Edman85

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

So that Torkmoil account is not very reliable, but I did see a tweet from a Canadian former Blue Jays/Expos writer with a couple thousand followers before the Torkmoil tweet that reported that, and that catcher is Canadian so it is possible that is well sourced. Anyways, if you believe Clark signed at #4 money, that is 640k saved there, and you have about 750k to play with in the 5% buffer. Throw in any savings in the back half of the Top 10 and that is what we have to throw around.

It would be just like that Torkmoil account to lift that info and pass it off as his own though.

If they valued Cerkownyk that highly (5th round money) I doubt they would have waited until the 15th round to draft him, and I can't see they committing that amount until the pool draftees are resolved, and lastly, he just isnt that type of prospect.

25 minutes ago, Longgone said:

If they valued Cerkownyk that highly (5th round money) I doubt they would have waited until the 15th round to draft him, and I can't see they committing that amount until the pool draftees are resolved, and lastly, he just isnt that type of prospect.

Teams would be wise to hold off on overshot signings until finalizing the deals that guarantee your denominator for the 5% rule.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

The tweet Edman is referencing.