2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

The tunnel has always been a problem.  There was an issue just the other week against Penn St.   James Franklin called it out as a something the league should address.  Harbaugh proceeded to mock him and say it was nothing.  Warde agreed and did nothing.    The MSU players are thugs and probably should be charged but this is a known problem that was ignored by UM.   

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, sabretooth said:

They didnt ignore it, they made some changes in the short period of time they had.

But the changes weren't enough to overcome some peoples' desire to gang up and stomp on a lone player.

So now maybe more changes will be coming.

The "changes" should be condign punishment of people who can't behave themselves

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The "changes" should be condign punishment of people who can't behave themselves

That's a key part of any system.  People who want to blame the system forget that no system can withstand the desire of a group of guys who really really want to find and beat some lone guy up....other than post-facto punishment.

Edited by sabretooth

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The tunnel has always been a problem.  There was an issue just the other week against Penn St.   James Franklin called it out as a something the league should address.  Harbaugh proceeded to mock him and say it was nothing.  Warde agreed and did nothing.    The MSU players are thugs and probably should be charged but this is a known problem that was ignored by UM.   

the tunnel has been there for 60 years and there has been "trouble" in two games.

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

That's a key part of any system.  People who want to blame the system forget that no system can withstand the desire of a group of guys who really really want to find and beat some lone guy up....other than post-facto punishment.

I agree and this applies to #1 and #22.  Their failure to follow the system was the impetus to the entire situation.   They do what they are supposed to and none of this happens.  

So, back to the football.  Donovan Edwards runs to contact too much.  Cornelius Johnson had a bad game.  Roman Wilson went from being a huge factor to being a not so much.  Concussions suck. 

M misses Erick All for sure.  

M is better with JJ as QB but the WRs didn't do enough in their opportunities.  They need to get Andrel Anthony going.  His speed would be a nice weapon. 

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not even close.  

They created rules to protect players from a potential dangerous situation.  They chose not to follow them.  This is more like ignoring the crossing gates trying to beat a train.   

I agree with this 100%.  If 1 and 22 broke the rules and instigated, then shame on them.  They clearly broke the rules.  Maybe we will find out if/how they instigated anything, and if so, hopefully they will be punished.

And of course those who beat on people, even if they were provoked, should also be punished.

Enough of this crap.

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s now happened in back to back weeks.   

You are right, because this is now a very public "thing", it will predictably attract those who tend to copycat transgressive behavior, and will likely repeat itself unless those who acted badly are punished severely....on both sides.

14 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It’s now happened in back to back weeks.   

i was wrong before, it isnt 60 years, its almost 100.

and its happened twice that we know about.

players take shit to each other all game and after the game.  i guess in your mind that means the other side is ok to beat the shit out of them.

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So, back to the football.  Donovan Edwards runs to contact too much.  Cornelius Johnson had a bad game.  Roman Wilson went from being a huge factor to being a not so much.  Concussions suck. 

M misses Erick All for sure.  

M is better with JJ as QB but the WRs didn't do enough in their opportunities.  They need to get Andrel Anthony going.  His speed would be a nice weapon. 

Yeah, the lack of playmaking WRs is going to doom them against OSU.  We have always had guys who can go over the top...its a shame that for such a good team we dont have the explosive or tall or game changing WRs.  Schoonmaker is about the best we have, all due respect to Ronnie Bell.

38 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree and this applies to #1 and #22.  Their failure to follow the system was the impetus to the entire situation.   They do what they are supposed to and none of this happens.  

but officer, look at the way she's dressed!  she was asking for it.  i had no choice!

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i was wrong before, it isnt 60 years, its almost 100.

and its happened twice that we know about.

players take shit to each other all game and after the game.  i guess in your mind that means the other side is ok to beat the shit out of them.

I dont think thats what he meant.

32 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Right,  you had a person (or people) who wanted to do some damage and they broke a bunch of rules to do it.    When the melee broke out on the field I thought  what would happen was all the Michigan players would go to the student section to celebrate (like they always do) and MSU would already be through the tunnel, but we need to know was did McBurrows not go with the rest of the team to the student section and just happen to be the only guy?     Or did MSU players wait for him.  If they waited for him, they need to be suspended for a year (and arrested).   A couple need to be banned from the Big 10. 

And I know the narrative without even reading about it yet "he said something", right?   Well, even if he did there is no excuse for 7 guys to be throwing punches and kicking him when he's down........7 guys still in full pad and helmets while this kid was not.   Even if he threw the first punch or first shove, this was out of hand.     As stated by several before me - tunnel's been there for decades with no problems (I am sure there have been a few but cameras weren't around).    

Blaming the tunnel for this is like blaming Budweiser for drunk fans starting fights at Lions games.  

Last night is an example of what our country is devolving into.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

You are right, because this is now a very public "thing", it will predictably attract those who tend to copycat transgressive behavior, and will likely repeat itself unless those who acted badly are punished severely....on both sides.

if you throw punches you should be disciplined.  if not, there should be no discipline.

we can have a larger discussion about how sportsmanship is no longer a virtue extolled by society, and how its now ok to talk shit as a matter of "individual expression", but leaving those issues aside the fact remains that players talk shit to each other.

it doesnt give you the right to beat someone up.  even if you lost the game.  if you lose, you take it and move on.

Sorry guys........but that trick play and long pass attempt probably made things boil over.    yeah yeah, I get football strategy and all that, but when you do shit like that, you set this up.    Still not Michigan's fault that MSU players can't control themselves, but I was worried about a player getting a cheap shot after M did that. 

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I dont think Hongbit was trying to excuse anything....my take is that hes saying that discipline needs to occur on both sides in the future to avoid this kind of thing.

hongbit was trying to say michigan players instigated it and asked for it.

we all love bonghit, but he is a long time michigan "antagonist" and likes nothing better than to rile us up.  lol.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Right,  you had a person (or people) who wanted to do some damage and they broke a bunch of rules to do it.    When the melee broke out on the field I thought  what would happen was all the Michigan players would go to the student section to celebrate (like they always do) and MSU would already be through the tunnel, but we need to know was did McBurrows not go with the rest of the team to the student section and just happen to be the only guy?     Or did MSU players wait for him.  If they waited for him, they need to be suspended for a year (and arrested).   A couple need to be banned from the Big 10. 

And I know the narrative without even reading about it yet "he said something", right?   Well, even if he did there is no excuse for 7 guys to be throwing punches and kicking him when he's down........7 guys still in full pad and helmets while this kid was not.   Even if he threw the first punch or first shove, this was out of hand.     As stated by several before me - tunnel's been there for decades with no problems (I am sure there have been a few but cameras weren't around).    

Blaming the tunnel for this is like blaming Budweiser for drunk fans starting fights at Lions games.  

Last night is an example of what our country is devolving into.  

Agreed.  Its the kind of thing that is breaking out in HS games.  Its always happened to some extent, but cellphones everywhere and social media make us hyper aware of these incidents and then make them seem more commonplace than they actually are....and thanks in part to norms being worn down by viral nonsense, people who would otherwise not engage in this type of behavior suddenly feel like, hey this is something that people do now.

It happens even without social media (re: school shootings), but social media makes it much worse.

Hell we may not have even ever heard of this incident if people hadn't been standing around filming it and posting it with cell phones and social media.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

The team needs to use Donovan Edwards at WR and focus on Stokes as the second RB.    I think Edwards would be unstoppable as a WR.  

edwards is a good rb and a threat out of the backfield.  why would you limit him by making him a wr?