2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They still haven't shown a lot of talent going over the safeties' heads, but it was also not a very good day to be throwing the ball long in A^2. And interestingly enough, Harbaugh saying Monday that JJ had to run more was not a just a media feint, he did run it more to good effect.

Last year it felt like they didn't really open up the playbook until very late in the season. It feels similar here. Why show your best plays if running it up the middle 40 times wins you games by 24?

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Last year it felt like they didn't really open up the playbook until very late in the season. It feels similar here. Why show your best plays if running it up the middle 40 times wins you games by 24?

This year feels the same.   Still, Its hard to know how much changed when Gattis left.  Was he the mad scientist behind the Donovan Edwards pass in the B1G championship game?

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Start to finish, a dominating performance by Michigan and Harbaugh. If they can keep running the football and controlling the line of scrimmage like they are now, they'll give themselves a real shot at beating Ohio State again and getting back into the playoffs. I finally feel confident about the overall direction of this program.

I hope your confidence can withstand getting pasted by OSU in their building, 'cause their speed will probably kill our power, especially with our weak pass rush and lack of elite DB play.

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

I hope your confidence can withstand getting pasted by OSU in their building, 'cause their speed will probably kill our power, especially with our weak pass rush and lack of elite DB play.

the hope is it plays out like last year: michigan's oline just bullies a weaker osu d line.  plus jj has more potential than mccaffery.

in all honesty, the dbs have been pretty good this year.  the defense's problem is the same as last year: linebacker.  

you saw georgia pick michigan's linebackers apart last year.  one would think osu with their amazing running backs will be able to do the same.  the hope is that michigan's power can keep osu off the field and wear them down.  and that somehow hill-greene plays football again.

im not optimistic.  in fact, i think its likely osu wins by double digits; however, michigan still has that puncher's chance because their oline is arguably better than last year.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

the hope is it plays out like last year: michigan's oline just bullies a weaker osu d line.  plus jj has more potential than mccaffery.

in all honesty, the dbs have been pretty good this year.  the defense's problem is the same as last year: linebacker.  

you saw georgia pick michigan's linebackers apart last year.  one would think osu with their amazing running backs will be able to do the same.  the hope is that michigan's power can keep osu off the field and wear them down.  and that somehow hill-greene plays football again.

im not optimistic.  in fact, i think its likely osu wins by double digits; however, michigan still has that puncher's chance because their oline is arguably better than last year.

I think between the all the conference shuffling and the portal, it's getting harder to get a read on how good teams are anymore. That said, Stroud does seem to be awfully good.

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

Hey, get the scots-irish name of our McQB correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I actually feel good about this year's Michigan team with JJ at QB and the wrinkle he adds to our offense. I think Michigan is going to surprise people and actually be competitive in the toilet bowl. Even I surprise myself having that much faith in Harbaugh.

Valenti on now saying he believes the National Championship winner will come from the Big Ten, either OSU or Michigan. What say you all? Do you feel that Michigan has a shot to win it all, which means likely beating both Ohio State and an SEC team (Georgia, Tennessee, Bama)?

I can't believe I am saying this, after years of clowning on the program that Jim Harbaugh was developing here at Michigan, but yes, I do think we can win. We're number two in the country in running and have a top 3 offensive line. We control the line of scrimmage and play bully ball, buying time and creating openings for this offense to operate. We are number 8 in the country in time of possession as a result of our great running game. On top of that, we have a complete defense, that looks well rounded talent wise and well coached.

I am giving Jim Harbaugh credit, where credit is do. I think he's built a team capable of beating Ohio State, an SEC team, and ultimately winning a National Championship.

i think michigan will struggle against ohio state and any sec offense.  their linebackers are bad and will get abused by sec speed from running backs.

i think it would be similar to last year's against georgia, but probably a little closer.  and i still think ohio state beats them this year.

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Valenti on now saying he believes the National Championship winner will come from the Big Ten, either OSU or Michigan. What say you all? Do you feel that Michigan has a shot to win it all, which means likely beating both Ohio State and an SEC team (Georgia, Tennessee, Bama)?

I can't believe I am saying this, after years of clowning on the program that Jim Harbaugh was developing here at Michigan, but yes, I do think we can win. We're number two in the country in running and have a top 3 offensive line. We control the line of scrimmage and play bully ball, buying time and creating openings for this offense to operate. We are number 8 in the country in time of possession as a result of our great running game. On top of that, we have a complete defense, that looks well rounded talent wise and well coached.

I am giving Jim Harbaugh credit, where credit is do. I think he's built a team capable of beating Ohio State, an SEC team, and ultimately winning a National Championship.

I think it's more likely than it was last year, when Alabama had an NFL-ready offense and Georgia had an NFL-ready defense. None of the SEC teams this year seem quite as good as either of those teams were last year.

Michigan or Ohio State playing Alabama, Georgia, or Tennessee on a neutral field in 2022? B1G has a puncher's chance.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think michigan will struggle against ohio state and any sec offense.  their linebackers are bad and will get abused by sec speed from running backs.

i think it would be similar to last year's against georgia, but probably a little closer.  and i still think ohio state beats them this year.

I think on offense we have a two-headed monster at RB with Coram and Edwards that matches theirs with Henderson and Williams. I think our offensive line has played as well theirs has and we can control the line as they do. So I don't think they are bullying us around up front as they have in years past.

The one area where I think they get the clear win is their playmaking ability out wide and over the middle of the field with their Wide Receivers with Smith-Nijgba and Harrison. I do believe we have a total team defense that is close to theirs. However, covering the middle of the field is probably where I share the most concern, given our linebacking play. I do worry about getting torched over the middle with the combo of wideouts they have and our LB corps inability to stop the dreaded crossing patterns.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

Yup, for a number of years through mulitple DCs, M has decided that defending the middle against the pass was not going to be the highest priority. There is no shame in that per se, every team has to decide what they are going to be willing to do less well, but that is where you attack M and if you are good enough, may beat them.

The other thing is that when it finally happens that M runs into an offense that can run up time of possession against them, we have no idea if that D has the legs to play 35+ minutes if they have to - you may see them get behind and then start have it snowball, losing the battles up front on D. Not saying it will happen, saying we don't know because they haven't been tested in that way yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

According to Football Outsiders Michigan has a higher overall defensing ranking that Ohio State this season.  Albeit a marginal advantage with Michigan at #10 and Ohio State at #12. We have a better, what they call Defensive Drive Efficiency (DDE) as well, ranked #3 in the country. Looks like DDE stats measure the scoring value gained or lost per your opponent's offensive drive. Ohio State was ranked 9th in the stat. The other stat they have called DTD which measures weather or not the offensive drive ended up with a TD scored also gives Michigan the edge over Ohio State.

All these stats could be meaningless when lining up against a team with the talent level of Ohio State. They beat being behind though and thinking Michigan has no chance whatsoever, that's for sure. It's been nice to be positive about a team's direction for an entire season for once.

I agree that M's LBs are the weak link in the D, but my hope is they can put one out there that just spies Stroud.  The interior of the D-line has been good a getting pressure on its own, & if our coverage holds up & Stroud can't get loose running the ball, I like our chances better.  OSU's WRs were better last year & we neutralized them, but Stroud is better.  I think the big key is going to be McCarthy. If he can hit some of the intermediate/long passes early, it should open things even more for that run game.

39 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

According to Football Outsiders Michigan has a higher overall defensing ranking that Ohio State this season.  Albeit a marginal advantage with Michigan at #10 and Ohio State at #12. We have a better, what they call Defensive Drive Efficiency (DDE) as well, ranked #3 in the country. Looks like DDE stats measure the scoring value gained or lost per your opponent's offensive drive. Ohio State was ranked 9th in the stat. The other stat they have called DTD which measures weather or not the offensive drive ended up with a TD scored also gives Michigan the edge over Ohio State.

All these stats could be meaningless when lining up against a team with the talent level of Ohio State. They beat being behind though and thinking Michigan has no chance whatsoever, that's for sure. It's been nice to be positive about a team's direction for an entire season for once.

its hard to measure that stuff in college football when you play very different schedules and there is such a difference in talent from team to team.  iirc, penn state supposedly had a great run defense...until they ran into a good running team.  michigan's defense will look good too until they run into an offense like a motivated ohio state in columbus.

last year's michigan defense was good, but ohio state still moved the ball against them.  and georgia eviscerated them.  i think the same will be true this year.  michigan's linebackers are still bad and they dont have hutch and ojabo on the outside.

now, i think theyre better in the middle and better overall at db, but a good offense will kill their linebackers.

otoh, i think michigan's offense is better than last year.  jj gives them the ability to do so much more.  that's your hope for ohio state: that one offseason is not enough for the buckeyes to adjust to michigan's power running game that's even harder to defend now that they have a qb who can move.

they've got a shot, for sure.  but i still think a motivated osu will beat them.

• 2 weeks later...