2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Santa Ono changes the game

1 minute ago, buddha said:

wishcasting.

IDK. The timing has just been off. The time to have changed the game was for a new Pres to have declined to extend Harbaugh - but the deed was done before he had a shot at the decision. Seems unlikely to see any new game at MI until it gets to where Manuel/Ono or whoever drag Harbaugh into it by the scruff of his neck.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK. The timing has just been off. The time to have changed the game was for a new Pres to have declined to extend Harbaugh - but the deed was done before he had a shot at the decision. Seems unlikely to see any new game at MI until it gets to where Manuel/Ono or whoever drag Harbaugh into it by the scruff of his neck.

one more crappy recruiting class should move harbaugh.  and if it doesnt, it will be time to move on from harbaugh.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

analysts beginning to wake up to the fact that McCarthy can't stay at UM if he doesn't take the starting job from Cade.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-jj-mccarthy-cade-mcnamara-big-ten-ncaa-nil

calling braylon edwards an "analyst" is a real stretch.

here's your accurate headline: "bomb throwers looking for clicks waking up to the fact that michigan's qb situation generates tons of interest."

31 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It’s a smart move by Harbaugh. College ball isn’t specialized enough that you need only one starting QB. JJ and Cade will both see the field plenty, and oftentimes together. Naming a starter would just be bad politics.

we can rag on Edwards but he's spot on. Cade is not going to be a guy the NFL ever loves enough to go early and JJ is not going to sit behind Cade for 2 more years - and I sure wouldn't advise him to. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

we can rag on Edwards but he's spot on. Cade is not going to be a guy the NFL ever loves enough to go early and JJ is not going to sit behind Cade for 2 more years - and I sure wouldn't advise him to. 

I agree, but I also think that with the hand Harbaugh is dealt, he is wise to keep both for as long as possible. If you can get them both snaps and NFL recognition without either transferring, why wouldn't you do so? Having two guys like that probably wouldn't work in an NFL playbook, but who cares?

If he goes out there and tells the media "JJ is our starter", Cade transfers. If he goes out there and says "Cade is our starter", JJ transfers. If he just keeps punting it while playing both of them fairly equally, both of them get seen and both of them make the team better. They compliment each other well, and having both of them is hard for opposing defenses to plan against.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree, but I also think that with the hand Harbaugh is dealt, he is wise to keep both for as long as possible. If you can get them both snaps and NFL recognition without either transferring, why wouldn't you do so? Having two guys like that probably wouldn't work in an NFL playbook, but who cares?

If he goes out there and tells the media "JJ is our starter", Cade transfers. If he goes out there and says "Cade is our starter", JJ transfers. If he just keeps punting it while playing both of them fairly equally, both of them get seen and both of them make the team better. They compliment each other well, and having both of them is hard for opposing defenses to plan against.

i dont think jj will transfer this year or next year.

i think jj wins the starting job by the end of the year and cade transfers.

either way, the problem (if there is one) is that they missed on carr and moore.  so now they have nothing behind jj and cade.

46 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's his job to try, but I don't think in the end Harbaugh can do much that makes a difference, all that is going to (or should) matter to JJ is whether he starts games or at least gets half the in game reps. Maybe if Urban Meyer were coaching M I could see him keeping two guys conned for a whole season, but I don't see that as Harbaugh's strong skillset. :classic_laugh:

This is just the reality of college football today. The system gives guys the opportunity to go find a place to be a starter, and there is no reason they shouldn't use it. There is no reason to spend your life prepping to do something, finding yourself in a situation you can't do it, and not taking an open door out. It's no moral victory for anyone's life experience for JJ to miss the chance of being a multi-year NCAA starter somewhere if he has the talent. JJ doesn't owe Michigan being Cade's injury safety valve if Harbaugh decides he's going to start Cade. And I actually would give credit to Harbaugh as being a coach who in the past has been willing to let guys go seek a better situation without hard feelings.

He gets paid a lot of money to make difficult decisions.  If Cade won the job then so be it.  If he didn’t or was tied, then you have to go with JJ.  He’s more dynamic and has a higher ceiling.   Cade is also probably easier to convince to not transfer although it has been known for 9 months that the loser of this battle could very well transfer regardless of what the coaches do.

Edited by Hongbit

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He gets paid a lot of money to make difficult decisions.  If Cade won the job then so be it.  If he didn’t or was tied, then you have to go with JJ.  He’s more dynamic and has a higher ceiling.   Cade is also probably easier to convince to not transfer although it has been known for 9 months that the loser of this battle could very well transfer regardless of what the coaches do.

IDK if it even matters if JJ has the higher ceiling. Cade is a pretty good game manager and in the NCAA as  many game are won with steady competence and decision making as off the chart talent. It goes both ways, M is under no obligation to give JJ the chance to turn into the QB he could be but isn't yet if that isn't what gives them the best chance to win. The very fact that a kid can go somewhere else now reduces the obligation on BOTH sides.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK if it even matters if JJ has the higher ceiling. Cade is a pretty good game manager and in the NCAA as  many game are won with steady competence and decision making as off the chart talent. It goes both ways, M is under no obligation to give JJ the chance to turn into the QB he could be but isn't yet if that isn't what gives them the best chance to win. The very fact that a kid can go somewhere else now reduces the obligation on BOTH sides.

This is the challenge of recruiting 5 star players.  You have to play them as soon as they are good enough or they will transfer and you may not be getting many more of them in the near future.