2022 Michigan Football

Deleterious

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Karsch & Jansen are much much better than Brandy & Dierdorf, and it's only Game #1

Yeah - Karch is probably the most professional of the guys on the local scene, In fact, if they were going to pick someone from the Ticket to do the Tigers, it should have been Karch. Then again, maybe with kids still at home he didn't pursue it......

Jansen is fine. To be fair to Dierdorf, in his day he was as good as any, but he had stayed on well past his 'sell by' date.

welcome to the league will johnson, burned for a td.

the d line looked really good.  the oline wasnt impressive given their preseason billing and the quality of opponent.

as far as the qb, its hard to tell because mccarthy was playing against a csu defense that was really worn down.  and he really never had to make a read and throw.  that said, he opens up the run game in a way macnamera never will because mccarthy has wheels.  macnamera NEVER pulls the ball and runs.

but even with that, macnamera was not impressive today.  he looked pretty average. 

we figured the dtackles would be great and they were, but i thought they got some decent pass rush from various ends today.  that's a positive.  if they can get anything out of one of their ends the dline could be pretty good again.

now, the linebackers?  colson looked good.  really hope he doesnt get hurt.

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

as far as the qb, its hard to tell

Could be my memory is poor (well, no 'could be' about it 😢) but it seemed to me McNamara was throwing the ball harder than I'd ever seen before, in fact maybe too hard on at least a couple of occasions when his receiver seemed to have been expecting less mustard. Obviously if he has worked on his arm strength that's a theoretical virtue for him, but only if he is able to use it to some advantage.

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Could be my memory is poor (well, no 'could be' about it 😢) but it seemed to me McNamara was throwing the ball harder than I'd ever seen before, in fact maybe too hard on at least a couple of occasions when his receiver seemed to have been expecting less mustard. Obviously if he has worked on his arm strength that's a theoretical virtue for him, but only if he is able to use it to some advantage.

but he was still the same guy: check down check down short pass, safe pass. 

part of that is a harbaugh offense is going to favor the run, but part of it is macnamera's risk aversion.  rgiii said at least once he missed an open guy for a td because he locked in on a guy.

statistically he was really good last year when he threw deep.  he just didnt do it that often.

a fully optimized jj who can run and chuck it deep puts michigan's offense - dare i say it? - in the elite category.  macnamera means they make less mistakes but have a much lower ceiling.

if theyre gonna compete against osu, they need to be elite.  they need fully optimized jj.

14 hours ago, buddha said:

they need fully optimized jj

JJ has to prove he can play mistake free (or at least mistake free enough) under pressure - i.e. against a good 'D' and I'm not sure this audition theater Harbaugh has set up in the cupcake schedule is enough to sort it all out. OTOH, McNamara's cockiness is beginning to reach pathological range. A kid going public to more or less complain he's a better judge of his performance than his coaches has also got 'problems' to sort out!

Michigan moves all the way up to 4 in latest AP rankings. You knew they were going to pass Utah and ND but a little surprising they passed A&M and Clemson too since they both won.

Neither was dominant but they weren't exactly close games either which is what you usually need to get passed by a team that didn't play a great team themselves. 

56 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Michigan moves all the way up to 4 in latest AP rankings. You knew they were going to pass Utah and ND but a little surprising they passed A&M and Clemson too since they both won.

Neither was dominant but they weren't exactly close games either which is what you usually need to get passed by a team that didn't play a great team themselves. 

yeah, i dont really understand why michigan moved up to 4.