08/26/2022 8:05 EDT Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers

casimir

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

still irritated they didn't give Norris the opportunity to keep starting and slide Tyler back to the pen. That scheme might have failed, but this one was guaranteed  to. Tyler's OPS against 565 as reliever, 791 as starter

How much of that is luck? 

He's getting better results as a reliever this year, but that seems to be driven by a lucky/low HR/FB% as a reliever.

If you normalize his HR/FB ratio as a reliever this year, his SP/RP peripheral/splits look pretty similar to previous years, which didn't show a lot of separation either way.

Also, last year, he had a very nice run as an SP.

Doesn't seem as cut/dry to me.

6 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

How much of that is luck? 

He's getting better results as a reliever this year, but that seems to be driven by a lucky/low HR/FB% as a reliever.

If you normalize his HR/FB ratio as a reliever this year, his SP/RP peripheral/splits look pretty similar to previous years, which didn't show a lot of separation either way.

Also, last year, he had a very nice run as an SP.

Doesn't seem as cut/dry to me.

the other half of the equation is that Norris has already failed repeatedly working in relief. It just seems to me if you are going to bother bringing in a guy who you think might be able to turn it around a little based on starting, then you should start him. Norris' problem has always been repeatability. It seems to me extended outings are far more likely to help a guy maintain body discipline than putting him back into relief. Granted Norris was a low probability play from the get go, but if you make the play, and he has two decent starts, why do you pull the plug on it? It's just more indication to me that the people running this team are just ad hoc'ing everything. I just see no sense of commitment to any kind of planning/strategy.

Edited by gehringer_2

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the other half of the equation is that Norris has already failed repeatedly working in relief. It just seems to me if you are going to bother bringing in a guy who you think might be able to turn it around a little based on starting, then you should start him. Norris' problem has always been repeatability. It seems to me extended outings are far more likely to help a guy maintain body discipline than putting him back into relief. Granted Norris was a low probability play from the get go, but if you make the play, and he has two decent starts, why do you pull the plug on it? It's just more indication to me that the people running this team are just ad hoc'ing everything. I just see no sense of commitment to any kind of planning/strategy.

Yes, 2 good starts should mean a 3rd start, and not a trip to the scene of previous failures.  

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Very interesting points about repeatability.....seems like the advantage of being in the 'pen is pitch focus/mastery, and that never materialized with Norris, so maybe his best fit is being a starter.