Michigan vs. Wisconsin - 10/2/21

djhutch

Well, I must apologize to Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines for my earlier criticism.   The way that first half ended it looked like they were driving off a cliff.   They landed the jump instead.    Even though Wisconsin is unranked, this is a huge win for Harbaugh.   Depending on how the rest of the CFB goes today, they could find themselves in the top 10 tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, I must apologize to Jim Harbaugh and the Wolverines for my earlier criticism.   The way that first half ended it looked like they were driving off a cliff.   They landed the jump instead.    Even though Wisconsin is unranked, this is a huge win for Harbaugh.   Depending on how the rest of the CFB goes today, they could find themselves in the top 10 tomorrow. 

If Wisconsin finishes the season with a losing record is it really a marquee win at that point? I mean, sure, there a big name opponent, but if they finish the season with a losing record I would argue it deflates the importance of that win versus if they were their usual, competitive, ranked selves. Harbaugh is still 0-11 in games where he is the underdog, still 7-12 vs. ranked Big 10 teams, still 11-16 vs. ranked teams, still can't beat Ohio State, and has yet to prove he's anything but pedestrian against Sparty. If Wisconsin is a dud this year then the win isn't worth as much and it hurts our strength of schedule too.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Wisconsin finishes the season with a losing record is it really a marquee win at that point? I mean, sure, there a big name opponent, but if they finish the season with a losing record I would argue it deflates the importance of that win versus if they were their usual, competitive, ranked selves. Harbaugh is still 0-11 in games where he is the underdog, still 7-12 vs. ranked Big 10 teams, still 11-16 vs. ranked teams, still can't beat Ohio State, and has yet to prove he's anything but pedestrian against Sparty. If Wisconsin is a dud this year then the win isn't worth as much and it hurts our strength of schedule too.

I am not saying all is forgiven, and it doesn't matter where Wisconsin finishes right now.  Right now Michigan did something they hadn't done since 2001, win at Madison - and that's huge.    And by the way, Wisconsin was the favorite today, not an overwhelming one, but they were the favorite. 

..and I don't think Wisconsin will finish with a losing record.   3 losses to 3 Top 15 teams very early.   Their schedule strength drops off a cliff now.  Minnesota, Purdue, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Rutgers and Army the rest of the way, only Iowa looks like a really tough game for them.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

That was too easy. And TBF, physically these teams were a lot closer than the score; it was turnovers that took Wisconsin out of the game. And that's fair enough - you are not a good team if you turn the ball over a lot. But M shouldn't get to pleased with itself either just because Wisconsin didn't take care of the football.

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Down goes Oregon!

And Notre Dame.........And Arkansas (BIG)...........and Ole Miss (BIG).    Penn State and Florida still playing.  Florida struggling vs. Kentucky.  Even though Wisconsin is not ranked, this win on the road could vault Michigan into the Top 10.    Michigan always gets more love because they are Michigan.  

Tomorrow could be........

1- Alabama   -
2 - Georgia - (inching closer)
3 - Iowa  +2
4 - Penn State  -
5 - Cincinnati  +2
6 - Oklahoma  - 
7 - Ohio State +4
8 - Oregon  -5
9 - BYU  +4
10 - Michigan  +4
11 - Arkansas  -3
12 - Michigan State +5 
13 - Coastal Carolina +3
14 - Notre Dame  -5
15 - Fresno State +3
16 - Florida  -6
17 - UCLA  +3

(the rest later)

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Tomorrow could be........

1- Alabama   -
2 - Georgia - (inching closer)
3 - Iowa  +2
4 - Penn State  -
5 - Cincinnati  +2
6 - Oklahoma  - 
7 - Ohio State +4
8 - Oregon  -5
9 - BYU  +4
10 - Michigan  +4
11 - Arkansas  -3
12 - Michigan State +5 
13 - Coastal Carolina +3
14 - Notre Dame  -5
15 - Fresno State +3
16 - Florida  -6
17 - UCLA  +3

(the rest later)

Michigan has to move ahead of BYU. BYU is 5-0 with no big names win, largest margin of victory has been 14, and four have been by 10:points or less 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Maybe.  I think Kentucky is going to jump into the Top 25, maybe debut in the Top 20. 

Four Big Ten East teams in top dozen or so. 
If Georgia stumbles, maybe BIG has as good of a chance of getting two teams into the playoff as SEC. if merit was the deciding factor, I mean. 

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Nebraska may not be a pushover. Avoid the letdown. Has played Oklahoma and MSU close the past 2 weeks and is annihilating Northwestern tonight. 

nebraska isnt bad.  theyre better than msu.  sparty got lucky in that game.  northwestern is awful.  worst team in the big ten.

I want to get excited about the team but it's hard to overlook just how bad the teams they have played have been, particularly offensively so its really hard to tell if the defense is legit or not. Nebraska's offense and team as a whole will definitely be the best we have faced thus far, if we handle them in a likely hostile environment I will start to think that maybe we do have something here. 

In terms of college football as a whole, Georgia and Alabama just look like they are on a whole different level than everybody else, its hard to see a scenario where any team competes with them.  

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That was too easy. And TBF, physically these teams were a lot closer than the score; it was turnovers that took Wisconsin out of the game. And that's fair enough - you are not a good team if you turn the ball over a lot. But M shouldn't get to pleased with itself either just because Wisconsin didn't take care of the football.

you just wont be happy unless they are beating teams 60-0.

they're 5-0 and beat wisconsin on the road.  after the last few years, just enjoy it for a week or so.

MICHIGAN went for it on 4th down FIVE TIMES!!!!  in their own end of the field!!!  MICHIGAN!  Look, you and i are both old and we both know what an amazing shift of mentality that is for the schembechler coaching tree.  they look much more organized this year, on offense and defense.  no more rushing to the line, no more huddling, no more wasting possession time.

theyre playing a pro style defense that can actually beat the spread offenses they face.  no more 4-3 with a thumper covering slot receivers.  no more insisting on press coverage with slow cornerbacks.  

are they good enough to beat ohio state?  nope.  but neither is anyone else in the big ten unless ohio state makes a ton of mistakes and turns the ball over.

are they good enough to beat anyone else on their schedule?  yes.  did you watch penn state luck into beating wisconsin?  wisconsin out gained them, had an almost 30 minute top advantage, and only lost because they couldnt score a td and turned the ball over 3 times.  michigan outplayed wisconsin and looked much better than penn state.

now watch them go out and lose to nebraska...