Michigan vs. Wisconsin - 10/2/21

djhutch

41 minutes ago, buddha said:

you just wont be happy

I'm not unhappy, I'm just not getting on any "Michigan is back as a B10 power" bandwagons and on that point you appear to agree. The new staff has clearly cleaned up a lot of the sloppiness and they've proved aren't going to be missing Don Brown. They look  a lot more like a 3 loss team than the 5 loss team Harbaugh would have been expected to field with the old staff.

Among areas that hold them back I'd pick that I'm a little mystified that a team that wants to run the ball so badly has ( or at least is using) such a short playbook for their run game, that while McNamara's turnover discipline remains impressive he does waste too many opportunities with inaccurate throws. The secondary has cleaned up the PI calls against but still needs to keep improving.

I was also very glad to see them get away from the 'come to the line, set, then step back and bring in a new play' routine. Not only is it irritating to watch as a spectator, but you let a D that you have back on its heals off the hook with more breathing time.

one thing is for certain - the transfer portal is generating a lot more parity in the BCS.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Don't know that yet.  They all have to play 2 or 3 good opponents and most of them have had 1 tough game so far.   You can usually start to really tell about Week 

well no shit mcs.  that's my opinion.  penn state got lucky to beat wiscy and auburn, they are not the 3rd best team in the country and are only ranked so highly because they are penn state.

The overrated/underrated argument can easily be settled

8 team playoffs.   -  One rep from the Power 5, however they decide their champion and 3 more based on overall rankings.    

The Group of Five schools should have their own playoffs since they'll never really be allowed to the party.    If a Group of 5 team gets in the major playoff (like that would ever be allowed), they can't have a shot at those playoffs.       The Group of Five could certainly make as much or more money doing this.   Just call the playoff game bowl games and make everyone happy. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

i'm not at the point where i think michigan is actually good, or cant lose to an (on paper) inferior opponent, but i am enjoying this season so far.  which is a lot better than the previous seasons.

the only definite win left on the schedule is northwestern.  every other game - including maryland and indiana - is a game i could see them losing.  

i could definitely see them losing on the road next week.  in fact, i could easily see both michigan schools losing next week.  there just arent that many good teams this year.  only bama and georgia.

39 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'm not at the point where i think michigan is actually good, or cant lose to an (on paper) inferior opponent, but i am enjoying this season so far.  which is a lot better than the previous seasons.

the only definite win left on the schedule is northwestern.  every other game - including maryland and indiana - is a game i could see them losing.  

i could definitely see them losing on the road next week.  in fact, i could easily see both michigan schools losing next week.  there just arent that many good teams this year.  only bama and georgia.

The ranking should be this

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Everyone Else.   

But Iowa does look good and they have the advantage of playing in a sh*t division.    Maybe Maryland is actually good and they are that much better.   I don't know, it just impossible to tell. 

I can tell you this, however, the college football mafia is not going to be happy to see Cincinnati undefeated before they join the Big 12 because they want absolutely no part of putting a non-power five team in the 4 team playoff.   Watch that committee find ways to smack them down.  Watch for "Strength Of Schedule" to be brought more and more, the longer they go unbeaten.  They're gonna screw them any way they can.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

The ranking should be this

1. Georgia

2. Alabama

3. Everyone Else.   

But Iowa does look good and they have the advantage of playing in a sh*t division.    Maybe Maryland is actually good and they are that much better.   I don't know, it just impossible to tell. 

I can tell you this, however, the college football mafia is not going to be happy to see Cincinnati undefeated before they join the Big 12 because they want absolutely no part of putting a non-power five team in the 4 team playoff.   Watch that committee find ways to smack them down.  Watch for "Strength Of Schedule" to be brought more and more, the longer they go unbeaten.  They're gonna screw them any way they can.  

Saturday at Iowa with Penn State is the biggest game of the week.  

10 hours ago, buddha said:

penn state, iowa, michigan state, byu, coastal carolina.

all more overrated than michigan.

Harbaugh constantly needs the EMS called when he plays Michigan State. Until he stops choking against MSU, I wouldn't call Michigan better than Michigan State or say Sparty is more overrated than us. We can't throw the football downfield and eventually someone with a good defense is going to key in on our running game and force Cade to try and win a football game by passing the football and I worry he won't be able to do it.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not unhappy, I'm just not getting on any "Michigan is back as a B10 power" bandwagons and on that point you appear to agree. The new staff has clearly cleaned up a lot of the sloppiness and they've proved aren't going to be missing Don Brown. They look  a lot more like a 3 loss team than the 5 loss team Harbaugh would have been expected to field with the old staff.

Among areas that hold them back I'd pick that I'm a little mystified that a team that wants to run the ball so badly has ( or at least is using) such a short playbook for their run game, that while McNamara's turnover discipline remains impressive he does waste too many opportunities with inaccurate throws. The secondary has cleaned up the PI calls against but still needs to keep improving.

I was also very glad to see them get away from the 'come to the line, set, then step back and bring in a new play' routine. Not only is it irritating to watch as a spectator, but you let a D that you have back on its heals off the hook with more breathing time.

one thing is for certain - the transfer portal is generating a lot more parity in the BCS.

Ranked 9th.

• MotownWebGuy changed the title to Michigan vs. Wisconsin - 10/2/21