9/30 @ 7:40 Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

Tigeraholic1

43 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Revenge is best served cold. I understand it’s really cold in the waters beneath the ambassador bridge.

And there is some history of Mayhem in the those waters. I well recall the day my father, one and a half decades removed from the US Navy, deciding we had to walk 1/2 way across the Ambassador bridge just to stop and lean over the edge and look down at this ship (and take a few snaps with the Argus C3)  which managed to get itself sunk smack dab under the span 59 yrs ago. They say she lost a load of European wine as she went down, though a guess would be some of the wine had already found its way to the lake pilot that rammed her into the barge.

image.thumb.png.0a08639cf6d5024844a592b496ddfe97.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

And as we leave Minnesota for the last time this year, may we pause again for a moment, as we do every year, in silent reflection.  To reflect upon the reason why Calvin Griffith, who owned the Washington Senators in 1961, where they had been for 60 years, decided to move the team to Minneapolis/St.Paul.  His reason was simple, there were just too many Negroes living in Washington.  Way too many.  And so he sought out the whitest large city in the United States that did not yet have a major league baseball team, and found it in Minneapolis/St.Paul.  And that is the eternal legacy of the Minnesota Twins, that they exist solely because of the clarity of the world view of Calvin Griffith.

Lots of people probably don't know that about the Twins by now, and don't still hate them for it.  But I do.  

The Briggs era Tigers were not much better.  That legacy has taken a bit of time to clean up under Mr. I who genuinely seemed to be "racially, pretty cool" to quote The dude.

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

And as we leave Minnesota for the last time this year, may we pause again for a moment, as we do every year, in silent reflection.  To reflect upon the reason why Calvin Griffith, who owned the Washington Senators in 1961, where they had been for 60 years, decided to move the team to Minneapolis/St.Paul.  His reason was simple, there were just too many Negroes living in Washington.  Way too many.  And so he sought out the whitest large city in the United States that did not yet have a major league baseball team, and found it in Minneapolis/St.Paul.  And that is the eternal legacy of the Minnesota Twins, that they exist solely because of the clarity of the world view of Calvin Griffith.

Lots of people probably don't know that about the Twins by now, and don't still hate them for it.  But I do.  

True, and there is nothing speculative about it.  He actually said it.  

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Twins owner Calvin Griffith was a few drinks in at a 1978 Lions Club function in Waseca when he started talking about why he chose Minnesota as a home for his ballclub. Minneapolis Tribune reporter Nick Coleman was in the room, and here’s what he scribbled in his notebook: 

“It was when I found out you only had 15,000 black people here. Black people don’t go to ball games, but they’ll fill up a rassling ring and put up such a chant it’ll scare you to death. It’s unbelievable. We came here because you’ve got good, hardworking white people here.”

https://www.minnpost.com/intelligencer/2010/09/racial-justice-minnesota-twins-forgotten-battle/

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I did not know that. I’d never heard it but it doesn’t surprise me. I guess it made Calvin Griffith shudder to know that Prince grew up in Minneapolis. Although he was probably dead by then. When Niko was being interviewed last night he said it was cool that it was Prince Night at Target Field. 

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Twins owner Calvin Griffith was a few drinks in at a 1978 Lions Club function in Waseca when he started talking about why he chose Minnesota as a home for his ballclub. Minneapolis Tribune reporter Nick Coleman was in the room, and here’s what he scribbled in his notebook: 

“It was when I found out you only had 15,000 black people here. Black people don’t go to ball games, but they’ll fill up a rassling ring and put up such a chant it’ll scare you to death. It’s unbelievable. We came here because you’ve got good, hardworking white people here.”

https://www.minnpost.com/intelligencer/2010/09/racial-justice-minnesota-twins-forgotten-battle/

Thanks for sharing this. 

12 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Tigers are up against a rookie they’ve never seen before. Usually this is a recipe for disaster. In four games the guy is even pretty good. The Tigers are also doing poorly against teams in their own division. So I’m going to wager that the Tigers can’t suck forever (a rational mathematical assertion) and they will rebound against this guy and hit him hard (an emotional assertion).

I am sort of a genius. I am Nostradamus. I am the seventh son of the seventh son. You’re all welcome.