The Jared Goff Discussion Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

19 hours ago, buddha said:

i dont think they can get that much for jared goff and would rather have them keep goff to act as a stopgap for the qb they draft this year.

i think that was always the plan and they should stick to it.

But then you're clogging up the cap with a $30m backup/1 year stopgap when there are so many needs elsewhere and not much cap opened up next season to address them although I expect Okwara to be cut to free up some cap.

The Lions have the pieces on offense to shelter a young QB so I don't think they need to keep Goff around just for the sake of vet presence and redshirt the rook. If you really want to get a quality stopgap, spend on the best backup on the market which would cost Chase Daniels money roughly then spend the $20m+ cap freed up from cutting Goff or the full $30m if they can move him to fill other areas of need. Hint - The defense needs a lot of help.

Edited by NYLion

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Outside of some team giving you a stupid crazy offer, I agree with this plan.

If it's a deal we can't refuse... sure, don't refuse it.

But I think his track record will now limit any offers we may have received for him... down to... fire-sale value. The league now definitely sees what he is/ isn't; and all his warts have been exposed by two different teams that had him set up for some measure of success. So most likely we'll end up holding onto him until the end as a new-QB tutor and then backup. Until his contract ends and he moves on...

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But I think his track record will now limit any offers we may have received for him... down to... fire-sale value. The league now definitely sees what he is/ isn't; and all his warts have been exposed by two different teams that had him set up for some measure of success. So most likely we'll end up holding onto him until the end as a new-QB tutor and then backup. Until his contract ends and he moves on...

I thought the same about Wentz but there was Washington to give a 3rd round pick. You could cut Goff and sign a Dalton or Flacco type to start the season. Goff has two more years on his contract. He can be cut and you can save $20 million. 

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

You can get a QB tutor for a lot cheaper than $30m especially considering that the Lions have a lot of other needs to fill. Kansas City could have afforded to do that with Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes because they had a really good team already. The Lions don't have the luxury of employing a $30m stopgap/tutor.

If they decide that Goff isn't the guy and they have an eye on their franchise guy in the draft, cutting bait after this season is the right move/

Edited by NYLion

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I thought the same about Wentz but there was Washington to give a 3rd round pick. You could cut Goff and sign a Dalton or Flacco type to start the season. Goff has two more years on his contract. He can be cut and you can save $20 million. 

They might do that at some point. But my guess is the Lions won't do that to start the 2023 season. 

I would be grateful for a 3rd rounder for Goff, when the time comes...

He has two more years? I thought it was only this year and next year... but I guess that's two years, right? If so... then they could easily hold on until the end of the 2023 season, if that's the same as his contract ending...

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

They might do that at some point. But my guess is the Lions won't do that to start the 2023 season. 

I would be grateful for a 3rd rounder for Goff, when the time comes...

He has two more years? I thought it was only this year and next year... but I guess that's two years, right? If so... then they could easily hold on until the end of the 2023 season, if that's the same as his contract ending...

He appears to be under contract for 2023 and 2024. Jared Goff Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

I think Goff will be the starter at the beginning of next season. Maybe Goff doesn't want to be a mentor and requests to be released. I don't think he is in a position to dictate that but it's possible. 

If i understand that correctly he only has 10M in guaranteed money after this year. But 20M plus in base salary for 2 years which is not guaranteed. So the odds of him having a 30M cap hit next year are low. Somehow they will restructure. Either to keep him around as a backup/stopgap or to trade him.

so who needs to draft a qb next year?

indy

washington

atlanta

carolina

giants (most likely)

houston

new orleans

seattle

outside chances:

tampa bay

san francisco

las vegas

that's a lot of teams that will be looking to potentially move up and take a qb.  it might actually be better for the lions long term to keep on losing.

currently seattle has its pick and denver's pick (and denver's picks for a few years).  houston has its pick and cleveland's pick (cleveland's picks for a few years).

that's a lot of ammo if they want to move up and jump the lions. 

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

so who needs to draft a qb next year?

indy

washington

atlanta

carolina

giants (most likely)

houston

new orleans

seattle

outside chances:

tampa bay

san francisco

las vegas

that's a lot of teams that will be looking to potentially move up and take a qb.  it might actually be better for the lions long term to keep on losing.

currently seattle has its pick and denver's pick (and denver's picks for a few years).  houston has its pick and cleveland's pick (cleveland's picks for a few years).

that's a lot of ammo if they want to move up and jump the lions. 

The Giants and Seattle are playing themselves out of position to even trade up for a QB (possibly Atlanta too and they just drafted Ridder), Philly has the New Orleans pick so that takes them out of it. Maybe if Tampa tanks (doubtful), Vegas doesn't have the draft capital I believe. Niners? No chance, they have no draft picks and believe in Lance I'm sure.

The only real threats are Houston, Carolina and Washington.

Edited by NYLion

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Giants and Seattle are playing themselves out of position to even trade up for a QB (possibly Atlanta too and they just drafted Ridder), Philly has the New Orleans pick so that takes them out of it. Maybe if Tampa tanks (doubtful), Vegas doesn't have the draft capital I believe. Niners? No chance, they have no draft picks and believe in Lance I'm sure.

The only real threats are Houston, Carolina and Washington.

i forgot about atlanta taking ridder.  seattle has denver's pick this year and a number of future picks from denver.  i wouldnt count them out.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

As of 10/25/2022, I would rather the Lions draft Will Anderson than either CJ Stroud or Bryce Young.

After ragging on Stafford for the last 3-4 years he was here, only to have him prove me wrong the first year he left Detroit, I really wanted to give Goff a chance. But Goff looks lost and completely out of it in game. He played like the bum the last two weeks in a row and showed all of his worst traits from fumbling to throwing the ball in coverage and getting picked to refusing to step up in the pocket and taking a sack as a result.

Goff has showed us enough that I think it is becoming safe to feel like he isn't the answer for us long term at QB. I don't think we can afford to pass up on a potential franchise QB in a league dominated by offensive production. If we do, and draft Will Anderson instead, then I worry we'll be the Washington Commanders 2.0. That is a team with a stacked defensive line and a bum at QB, always searching for his replacement.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

After ragging on Stafford for the last 3-4 years he was here, only to have him prove me wrong the first year he left Detroit, I really wanted to give Goff a chance. But Goff looks lost and completely out of it in game. He played like the bum the last two weeks in a row and showed all of his worst traits from fumbling to throwing the ball in coverage and getting picked to refusing to step up in the pocket and taking a sack as a result.

Goff has showed us enough that I think it is becoming safe to feel like he isn't the answer for us long term at QB. I don't think we can afford to pass up on a potential franchise QB in a league dominated by offensive production. If we do, and draft Will Anderson instead, then I worry we'll be the Washington Commanders 2.0. That is a team with a stacked defensive line and a bum at QB, always searching for his replacement.

i dont think they have a choice but to pick a qb this year.  or trade for one.  next year should be the year of the first real progress and it is less likely to happen if the qb sucks.

luckily for the lions there appear to be a number of big time options at qb this year.

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

To be clear, I'm also not opposed to taking a QB... as of 10/25/2022

I think the team has multiple needs, especially on defense, and I think a playmaking linebacker may be the largest. A healthy Lions team with a league average defense could be 4-2 right now (Eagles and Patriots notwithstanding)... I think Will Anderson is as close to a sure-thing as you can get in an NFL draft. His potential is greater than that of Micah Parsons, and I have seen multiple comparisons to Von Miller... With Hutch, Anderson, and Okudah as your three leaders of the layers to the defense, I think you're finally building a defense that, with a few more pieces, could even be better than average.

That doesn't mean that I'm excluding QB from the list of needs. I'm not convinced on either Stroud or Young though as NFL talents. I like Will Levis a little more, but not more than I like Will Anderson.

We also have a second pick. If we took Anderson with the first and a QB (Levis) with the second, I would be fine with that (as of today), even if we trade up to get that QB.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We're the Commanders at that point if we draft Will Anderson. A loaded defensive line and an overpaid guy at QB with a few nice weapons around him. In the Commanders case they have Wentz and we'd be stuck with Goff.

exactly.  look, the lions need another pass rusher, i get it.  but they need a qb more than anything.  

nfl football is such a funny sport.  who would have predicted rhe bears would have a better record than the broncos?  the giants would have a better record than the packers?

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We're the Commanders at that point if we draft Will Anderson. A loaded defensive line and an overpaid guy at QB with a few nice weapons around him. In the Commanders case they have Wentz and we'd be stuck with Goff.

I don't think Washington has anywhere near the level of offensive talent that the Lions do.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i forgot about atlanta taking ridder.  seattle has denver's pick this year and a number of future picks from denver.  i wouldnt count them out.

Yeah, it's hard to count them out but if they win the division with Geno, maybe they don't press as hard for a QB (keep in mind that they passed on QB many times in this last draft) but I forgot about Denver's pick, that certainly gives them an advantage to trade up if need be or just take a QB if Denver tanks.

Edited by NYLion

37 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A few nice weapons? It depends on Jamo of course and Swift remaining relatively healthy but few teams boast the talent the Lions have at the skill positions when they're whole, which is never but still... Plus they supposedly have a good offensive line as well which isn't something the Commanders can boast about.

The Lions are actually a pretty good situation for a young QB to walk into believe it or not, this was the #1 offense for the first 4 weeks without Jamo, Swift in and out of the lineup and a beat up offensive line. Not to mention, an average QB in Goff.

Essentially, I agree that they should take a QB if they finish in the bottom 3 or so but it would be hard to pass up on a talent like Anderson, he's truly special.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1