The Jared Goff Discussion Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

PS: Just my opinion... but I think this should be the "Who does Goff get replaced by?" thread. That's the real conversation... with more than one option/ opinion that will be floating around...

But I do think it will be the earliest/ best 1st round pick QB that we can get our hands on next year... 

Just my opinion...

Jared Goff could be one of the best passers in the league but in typical Lion fashion they use him all wrong.  

He needs a clean pocket, 8 seconds to throw the ball, and a wide open receiver.  If the stupid coaches would just do this every time then things would be so different for him.  

• Like 1

Goff is making the decision to draft a QB easier by the game. I realize that he's down a lot of offensive weapons but you just can't turn the ball over as much as he has. IT's a big reason why McVay moved on from him, because he had the propensity to make poor decisions with the ball but without the dynamic arm to make up for it like in the case of Stafford who also is turnover prone but is much more dynamic to make up for it.

I was a backer of him earlier in the season but a veteran NFL QB simply can't turn the ball over as much as he has in games that were vital to get the team back on track. It's pretty much what he was advertised as. He's effective when things are going well around him and collapses like a deck of cards when adversity hits.

Edited by NYLion

I'm not going to pass judgement on Goff until this season is complete. At some point this year, Swift, ASB, and Jaymo should be on the field together. If he's still dinking and dunking, and looking like the NFL version of Wilton Speight, I'm going to be more apt to say we need to find a replacement sooner rather than later.

I'm also not going to say "because we are drafting at X, we should take a QB" either. I think that's stupid and how you end up with Zach Wilson as your quarterback.

Be careful what you wish for as it pertains to the next QB though. It's easy to say "we should draft a top ten QB" and a lot harder to identify that guy... You have a league average QB right now, who makes frustrating mistakes at times and is frustratingly conservative at times, but also doesn't tend to lose you games. If you say you want to move on, and you move on to the wrong QB, you're ultimately clearing house of Holmes, Campbell, and likely most of the offensive progress they've made, like ASB and parts of the line. It's a chips-all-in move.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm not going to pass judgement on Goff until this season is complete. At some point this year, Swift, ASB, and Jaymo should be on the field together. If he's still dinking and dunking, and looking like the NFL version of Wilton Speight, I'm going to be more apt to say we need to find a replacement sooner rather than later.

I'm also not going to say "because we are drafting at X, we should take a QB" either. I think that's stupid and how you end up with Zach Wilson as your quarterback.

Be careful what you wish for as it pertains to the next QB though. It's easy to say "we should draft a top ten QB" and a lot harder to identify that guy... You have a league average QB right now, who makes frustrating mistakes at times and is frustratingly conservative at times, but also doesn't tend to lose you games. If you say you want to move on, and you move on to the wrong QB, you're ultimately clearing house of Holmes, Campbell, and likely most of the offensive progress they've made, like ASB and parts of the line. It's a chips-all-in move.

It wasn't that long ago the Rams put all their chips on the table for Goff. I feel like if they are in position to draft a top QB without trading up to do it, they need to do it. Then if Goff plays well, you could trade him for a late to mid round pick. 

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

His contract isn't massive anymore and a team would only be committed for a year. Wentz has an equally massive contract and has been traded twice. Matt Ryan has an even more massive contract and was traded for a 3rd round pick.

he makes $30 million this year.  that's pretty massive.

he also sucks.

but you never know.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It wasn't that long ago the Rams put all their chips on the table for Goff. I feel like if they are in position to draft a top QB without trading up to do it, they need to do it. Then if Goff plays well, you could trade him for a late to mid round pick. 

Stop

Nobody is going to trade for Goff. He was a dump in for Stafford. Nobody else wanted him. Not to mention he's just not good. 

And who cares what the Rams did to get him. Looks like a mistake. Why does that have any impact on today?

Edited by KL2

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

he also sucks.

but you never know.

Even if they could work out a deal (they can't) it might be the better move to just cut him. Take the $20 million in cap saving use it elsewhere instead of just taking on a contract or some conditional pick that will just be a practice squad player/guy who doesn't make the team. Just keep it simple. 

Edited by KL2

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yes. But, I know Goff isn't the answer. 

The might guy could be JaMarcus, but he could also be Stafford. What it does it at least give me a chance to find a franchise guy. If I keep Goff in place, that chance is zero. 

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

he also sucks.

but you never know.

$30 million is average QB money nowadays. His dead cap declines significantly after this season so I firmly believe that the Lions can get a 3rd or 4th for him unless his play really craters this season. If there's no market for him, you cut him and save $20m in cap to fill other areas of need.

Of course, you'd rather not throw a rookie into the fire right away but the Lions actually have a good situation for a young QB to come into assuming that they aren't ravaged with injuries again next season which, being the Lions and all, is never a safe assumption.

Edited by NYLion

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

$30 million is average QB money nowadays. His dead cap declines significantly after this season so I firmly believe that the Lions can get a 3rd or 4th for him unless his play really craters this season. If there's no market for him, you cut him and save $20m in cap to fill other areas of need.

Of course, you'd rather not throw a rookie into the fire right away but the Lions actually have a good situation for a young QB to come into assuming that they aren't ravaged with injuries again next season which, being the Lions and all, is never a safe assumption.

i dont think they can get that much for jared goff and would rather have them keep goff to act as a stopgap for the qb they draft this year.

i think that was always the plan and they should stick to it.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think they can get that much for jared goff and would rather have them keep goff to act as a stopgap for the qb they draft this year.

i think that was always the plan and they should stick to it.

This.

Goff will be kept, not traded. Drafted QB can be developed behind Goff for a year or so, rather than tossed directly into the fire. When drafted QB is ready (hopefully at some point in his draft year) and Goff lays a stinker... in comes drafted QB.

15 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

This.

Goff will be kept, not traded. Drafted QB can be developed behind Goff for a year or so, rather than tossed directly into the fire. When drafted QB is ready (hopefully at some point in his draft year) and Goff lays a stinker... in comes drafted QB.

Outside of some team giving you a stupid crazy offer, I agree with this plan.