The Jared Goff Discussion Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

15 hours ago, buddha said:

a lot of those receivers are open for bryce young because he bought enough time with his legs to get them open.

bryce young has been a magician this year.  bama probably has 3 losses if not for him.

Young does more than just extend drives by scrambling, which he does. He also steps up in the pocket to get by the pass rush and deliver the ball to an open receiver on a developing play. One of the continuing narratives on Goff, as shared earlier from the tweet by MB, is that Goff takes the sack or misses the downfield shot because he drops back so far in the pocket. If Bryce Young were 2-3 inches taller he'd be the consensus #1 pick and #1 QB I think.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

kind of fun to go back and reread this interview with Goff's OC at Cal on the eve of his draft. Obviously he was a huge Goff fan, but looking back 8 yrs later what he said about Goff is right on the money. I especially liked this nugget though:

My advice to him was to get a really good coach to prepare for the NFL draft process and listen to all the advice you can get. Ultimately, be who you are and what got you to this point while developing his own style.

If you watch the great ones, they all have something that's their own.

During his career, he'll likely have eight to 10 quarterback coaches. If he listens to every one of them, he'll be completely screwed up.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2606877-former-cal-offensive-coordinator-dispels-myths-regarding-qb-jared-goff

Edited by gehringer_2