The Jared Goff Discussion Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Or maybe it's a lot of ammo for the Lions to trade back. It would be tempting given the amount of holes on the team. 

Not surprised you're a trade back guy. The team that moves back almost always loses the deal as picks after 30 rarely amount to anything

56 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Washington seems traumatized from the RGIII debacle. They went all in and it failed and instead they recycle QBs like Alex Smith and Carson Wentz. 

It cause they keep trying to win now and win meaningless games instead of rebuilding with a qb

Basically your plan

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Not surprised you're a trade back guy. The team that moves back almost always loses the deal as picks after 30 rarely amount to anything

So liar, where is the post did I say trade back after 30? Multiple teams have multiple 1st round picks higher than. Not surprised you're the guy that infers something that was never said. Do better an apologize for being a liar.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

As of 10/25/2022, I would rather the Lions draft Will Anderson than ... CJ Stroud ...

I would NOT rather the Lions draft Will Anderson than CJ Stroud.

However...

I'm going to guess that we are just not going to be in a position to get Stroud. So...

I think by default, we're going to be hoping that Will Anderson or Jalen Carter falls to us for our first pick. 

The second 1st rounder from the Rams could be open to all sorts of possibilities... athletic sideline-to-sideline LB'er, another CB to pair with Okudah, any QB that might be available here that the team believes can take over as starter... Maybe RB but I'd rather they wait until the 2/3/4th before trying to find some RB depth. I think the other 4 spots rank higher in need: QB, DL, LB, CB.

9 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Is CJ Stroud the answer? I do not know...people tend to think OSU QB's are trash...but the thought that about Oreon QB's until Justin Herbert came along.

Didn't there used to be a thing about Jeff Tedford QBs which caused Aaron Rodgers to slide in the draft? Is there even a school known for producing NFL QBs?

• Like 1

There was a point where Scott Mitchell was really clicking.  We thought we had our guy.    It certainly helped to have Barry, Hermann, Brett and Johnnie..........he was great, 32 TDs to 12 ints.    Then something happened and it was like a switch got turned off and he was horrible.  Didn't he take a really hard hit and then played scared? 

Seems like something might have happened in the New England game because it is night and day with his play now compared to the first 4 weeks.  Did he get popped?  

Even if there was no critical "pop" or "hit"....

He still can't go deep with accuracy, won't go deep often enough, is not pocket-aware, takes unnecessary sacks, throws too many INT's and has too many fumbles.

He cracks under pressure. And has no ability to "improvise" or "create something"...

He's proven to me, Detroit, and the Lions coaches and FO I believe, what his weaknesses are.

He can QB a team. He can "game manage" an offense. But he is Carson Wentz/ Ryan Tannehill/ Andy Dalton... Decent enough guys but not the QB that will just put a team on his back and drive the team to wins... I think his QBR is telling... roughly about 50 for his career. On a par with the 3 guys I mentioned above. These guys can win games.. but the team has to carry them, not the other way around.

Stafford has a career QBR of 55-60 (I don't see a career #, that's a WAG...). He carried teams. But didn't have good enough teams around him to get anywhere. He did need some manner of support... Rams proved that out last year.

I want to build the absolute best team out there, and put the best QB we can find in the lead... might be hard to do but... IMO we have to find better than Goff... he's proven that to me.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Even if there was no critical "pop" or "hit"....

He still can't go deep with accuracy, won't go deep often enough, is not pocket-aware, takes unnecessary sacks, throws too many INT's and has too many fumbles.

He cracks under pressure. And has no ability to "improvise" or "create something"...

He's proven to me, Detroit, and the Lions coaches and FO I believe, what his weaknesses are.

He can QB a team. He can "game manage" an offense. But he is Carson Wentz/ Ryan Tannehill/ Andy Dalton... Decent enough guys but not the QB that will just put a team on his back and drive the team to wins... I think his QBR is telling... roughly about 50 for his career. On a par with the 3 guys I mentioned above. These guys can win games.. but the team has to carry them, not the other way around.

Stafford has a career QBR of 55-60 (I don't see a career #, that's a WAG...). He carried teams. But didn't have good enough teams around him to get anywhere. He did need some manner of support... Rams proved that out last year.

I want to build the absolute best team out there, and put the best QB we can find in the lead... might be hard to do but... IMO we have to find better than Goff... he's proven that to me.

Mac Jones might be available...........

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

anderson and levis may go 3-4.

A lot can and will change before April, which is why I’m hesitant to discuss draft before even half the season is over. With all the talk that an 8-9 NFC team could make the playoffs, what if the Lions go 7-4, and… ok I’ll stop. (This was a joke please no one come after my family).

If we are entertaining draft talk though, I think anything reasonable could be considered. I won’t tell you we should pick up Stroud in the 2nd round. I think it’s reasonable though that Anderson could be there at the top of the draft for the Lions pick and Levis still there around Mahomes/Fields territory (10ish), at which point I would strongly consider moving up with the Rams pick.

Which I’m sure would trigger all sorts of talk about how we must not be confident he’s QB1 if he wasn’t even our first pick…. But I think Anderson may be the closest you’ll get to a sure-fire All Pro in any draft.

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

A lot can and will change before April, which is why I’m hesitant to discuss draft before even half the season is over. With all the talk that an 8-9 NFC team could make the playoffs, what if the Lions go 7-4, and… ok I’ll stop. (This was a joke please no one come after my family).

If we are entertaining draft talk though, I think anything reasonable could be considered. I won’t tell you we should pick up Stroud in the 2nd round. I think it’s reasonable though that Anderson could be there at the top of the draft for the Lions pick and Levis still there around Mahomes/Fields territory (10ish), at which point I would strongly consider moving up with the Rams pick.

Which I’m sure would trigger all sorts of talk about how we must not be confident he’s QB1 if he wasn’t even our first pick…. But I think Anderson may be the closest you’ll get to a sure-fire All Pro in any draft.

i still think a very likely scenario has the lions picking in the 5-7 range and using that pick, the rams pick, and future first round picks to move up a few spots to take a qb.

20 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I have watched Will Anderson all year, and he's not doing much this year. He's not showing his usual explosion. Last year he had 57 solo tackles, and 17.5 sacks; this year he has 16 solo, and 6 sacks.

Was thinking the same thing even though it hasn’t been talked about quite as much.   He’s not playing poorly but just not up to expectations. 

11 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Was thinking the same thing even though it hasn’t been talked about quite as much.   He’s not playing poorly but just not up to expectations. 

When I have watched him, especially against Tennessee, he's been handled by one guy each time.

Hendon Hooker is going to be 25 next year..that's pretty old for a rookie QB.  Might lead to him being available with the Rams pick.  Go  defense with top pick ( or trade back into5-10 range) take Hooker with the Rams pick and BPA at the top of round 2.

I would love to see Blake Corum in a Lions uni...

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Hendon Hooker is going to be 25 next year..that's pretty old for a rookie QB.  Might lead to him being available with the Rams pick.  Go  defense with top pick ( or trade back into5-10 range) take Hooker with the Rams pick and BPA at the top of round 2.

I’m cool with this just because I want a Lions Hooker jersey.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

After ragging on Stafford for the last 3-4 years he was here, only to have him prove me wrong the first year he left Detroit, I really wanted to give Goff a chance. But Goff looks lost and completely out of it in game. He played like the bum the last two weeks in a row and showed all of his worst traits from fumbling to throwing the ball in coverage and getting picked to refusing to step up in the pocket and taking a sack as a result.

Goff has showed us enough that I think it is becoming safe to feel like he isn't the answer for us long term at QB. I don't think we can afford to pass up on a potential franchise QB in a league dominated by offensive production. If we do, and draft Will Anderson instead, then I worry we'll be the Washington Commanders 2.0. That is a team with a stacked defensive line and a bum at QB, always searching for his replacement.

It's been pretty much what he was before - He looks good when the Lions are running the ball well & his first-string RB is in the game.  When they're not running the ball well, the defenses change & he's deer-in-the-headlights.

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I think Levis will be the #1 rated QB, he does have the most tools imo.

6 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I've been thinking Corum too.  I love what Swift brings, but this is the 2nd year in a row he's missed significant time.  I believe Corum has the body type & strength to succeed & stay healthy in the league.