2022-2023 NCAAMBB Thread

casimir

How the hell is Brandon Miller still allowed on the basketball court and not suspended indefinitely pending investigation? He allegedly brought a gun to someone who then used it to commit a murder. At best, he's Ray Lewis, in the wrong place at the wrong time. At worst he is an accessory to a murder. RIP to Darius Miles whose life was taken.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How the hell is Brandon Miller still allowed on the basketball court and not suspended indefinitely pending investigation? He allegedly brought a gun to someone who then used it to commit a murder. At best, he's Ray Lewis, in the wrong place at the wrong time. At worst he is an accessory to a murder. RIP to Darius Miles whose life was taken.

This is being discussed in the NBA draft thread. 

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

he wasnt even charged with a crime.

should everyone the internet thinks is guilty of something not be allowee to enter public society again until they meet some tater standard of accountability?

I got an email at work at the radio station with the warning of what we are not allowed to say on the air.    Not the 7 dirty words, but words trademarked by the NCAA.     Unlike the NFL, where you can say Super Bowl or team names as long as you aren't promoting anything, the NCAA will go after stations that even mention the following words in passing............

• “NCAA” or any NCAA logo

• “Final Four,” “Sweet Sixteen,” “Elite Eight,” etc.

• “The Road to the Final Four”, “The Road to Atlanta”

• “March Madness”, “March Mayhem”, “Midnight Madness”

• Any team name or nickname (such as “Badgers”)

• Any university logo

We have to get APPROVAL to say the following.........

. 68 TEAMS, ONE   DREAM®

And Then There Were Four®

Beyond the Baseline®

Champions Play Here®

Champions Win Here™

College Cup®

1College World Series®

CWS™

Dribble™

Eight at the Plate™

Elite 8®

Elite Eight®

Elite 90™

Experience It Live™

F4™

Final 4®

Final Four®

Final Four Friday®

First Four®

Four It All™

Frozen Four®

History Happens Here®

It's More Than Three Games®

Make it Yours®

March Madness®

March to the Madness™

March Mayhem™

Midnight Madness®

Men’s College Cup®

Men’s Elite Eight®

Men’s Frozen Four®

National Collegiate Athletic Association®

National Collegiate Championships®

NCAA®

NCAA After The Game®

NCAA Basketball®

NCAA Championships®

NCAA Fast Break®

NCAA Hall of Champions®

NCAA Photos®

NCAA Sweet 16®

NCAA Sweet Sixteen®

NCAA Team Works®

NCAA Ticket Exchange®

Next Generation Sunday®

Pinnacle of Fitness®

Protect the Game®

Read to the Final Four®

Road to the Final Four®

Selection Sunday®

Share The Experience™

Stagg Bowl®

The Big Dance®

The Final Four®

The Greatest Show on Dirt®

The NCAA Experience®

The Pinnacle Awaits®

The Road Ends Here®

The Road Starts Here®

The Road to Atlanta™

The Road to Frisco™

The Road to Indianapolis®

The Road to Minneapolis™

The Road to New Orleans™

The Road to Omaha®

The Road to Tampa Bay™

The Road to the Final Four®

Women’s College Cup®

1Women’s College World Series®

Women’s Elite Eight®

Women’s Final 4®

Women’s Final Four®

Women’s Frozen Four®

Are you fucking kidding me?   I can't say DRIBBLE ?     Our company BROADCASTS THEIR FUCKING GAMES !.  The station next to mine down the hall is the FLAGSHIP for Michigan basketball and other sports, but one room over if we say Wolverines, we can get sued?  

A team can play a guy who helped his friend murder a single mother but I can't say DRIBBLE? 

I don't give a shit anymore.   I don't care if Michigan goes to the Final Four,  I will not talk about it EVER. 

Oooh, I posted Final Four in a conversation,  maybe they'll sue me. 

• Haha 1

NCAA is not going to successfully sue anybody for saying dribble - or probably several others of those because they fail the 'alternative' test. You can't sustain a trademark for a term for something if it already has become  the generic term for it - for instance "NCAA Basketball". For example, take 'Kleenex brand tissue."  Without 'tissue' being available, they could not trademark 'Kleenex',  The NCAA tournament is the thing itself - I don't see how that could pass muster. Obvious the same for dribble. OTOH, "Elite 8" is   a particular term for a particular tournament quarter final. Since I can say what I just typed, 'Elite 8' is probably trademark able.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

NCAA is not going to successfully sue anybody for saying dribble.

But the fact that they even have the balls to say it.   Fuck them.    Bigger cesspool than FIFA anyway.   

I just don't get how our company can broadcast their games and we can't talk about them.    So stupid.   The whole sport is run by degenerates anyway.  

Looking at those they also have pretty bad lawyers and marketing people, because if you hold a trademark, the quickest way to lose it is to talk about your own product incorrectly. So for instance, if the NCAA is going to avoid losing the right to the trademark "NCAA Basketball", then every time they referred to it in their own literature, they need to say, "NCAA Basketball brand Naismith game competition" or some such. (see - already impossible). IOW, if you don't use your own trademark to properly refer to your own product as a particular case of a generic thing, you lose it. If you look at Dupont literature about Teflon - it always says "Teflon brand non-stick coating" etc.

As one of our alums would say - loonspuderry.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

ESPN said they zero perfect brackets left. 

I'm sure FDU took care of that.

I think the brackets seem a little on the chalky side after round one, although I could be wrong on that.  But even if that is the case that more higher seeds advanced than the odds would suggest, it seemed like there were a lot of close games that came down to the final minutes.

Purdue played scared down the stretch.  Nobody wanted to shoot the ball.  They struggled getting the ball into Edey where he could be effective.  Essentially FDU constantly covered Edey to take away the entry pass with the man guarding him and had someone floating close by to stop him from the backside.  FDU played themselves into position to win and one of their better players had to maneuver the last 8(ish) minutes of the game with 4 fouls.  It was quite a game to watch.

41 minutes ago, casimir said:

Purdue played scared down the stretch.  Nobody wanted to shoot the ball.  They struggled getting the ball into Edey where he could be effective.  Essentially FDU constantly covered Edey to take away the entry pass with the man guarding him and had someone floating close by to stop him from the backside.  FDU played themselves into position to win and one of their better players had to maneuver the last 8(ish) minutes of the game with 4 fouls.  It was quite a game to watch.

Wasn't the whole pattern of last year's NBA playoffs "how to take the big man out of the game"? I guess FDU had been watching.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wasn't the whole pattern of last year's NBA playoffs "how to take the big man out of the game"? I guess FDU had been watching.

OSU put a short guy on Edey during the B10 tourney.  They had no choice.  They tried to keep Edey away from the basket when he got the pass, but they didn’t really make the entry pass & catch tougher.

Didn't like St. John's anyway.  Now they are the evil empire.   Pitino is an A #1 scumbag.   Sure, he can coach well, but just this whole pious thing he does - it just irks me so much.     He was a HORRIBLE GM in the NBA.  One of the worst ever. 

So, now that Alabama is out, it will be interesting to see if Brandon Miller suddenly gets more serious charges     What he did was unforgivable.    He doesn't bring that gun, that woman doesn't die that night.   That's gotta be more than a slap on the wrist, doesn't it?     I still want to know how the MSU shooter got his guns - because he wasn't legally allowed to buy one.