2022-2023 NCAAMBB Thread

casimir

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Some school named Bellarmine just beat Louisville.  

Bellarmine won the Atlantic Sun postseason tournament last season, but was ineligible for the NCAA tournament.  As part of its transition from Division II to Division I (last season being its 2nd in D-I), it is ineligible for the NCAA tourney for 2 more seasons.

What a load of crap.  They've gone 10-3 (2nd) and 11-5 (3rd) in its two seasons in the A-Sun and they're ineligible for the field of 68?  That's the quintessential traveshamockery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

most of belein's giys are gone so this is howard's team now.  and its not looking so hot.

in his defense (there is no defense for losing to cmu at home), college basketball is a guard run game, and michigan lost both its point guards to the portal and injury.  starting a tiny true freshman who can shoot is killing them.

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

most of belein's giys are gone so this is howard's team now.  and its not looking so hot.

in his defense (there is no defense for losing to cmu at home), college basketball is a guard run game, and michigan lost both its point guards to the portal and injury.  starting a tiny true freshman who can shoot is killing them.

guards who can't shoot seems to be a southeastern MI epidemic.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea what is happening in this sport anymore.  I don't follow it at all.  The last time I followed college BB was when Juwan swung his fist at another coach (he should have been fired instantly).       Just not that interested in the whole One-And-Done world of college hoops anymore.    I don't even follow the two local  Big Ten teams anymore.    I just looked at the Big Ten standing for the first time this year and yikes, nothing much there.   I was shocked to find out there is only ONE Big Ten team in the Top 25.    The Big Ten used to have at least 6 or 7 in the rankings just a few years ago.   Is it because of NIL? 

I watched a few games recently and I am definitely a bit worried for the future of college basketball.  They have a big problem as the style of play in the NBA continues to evolve.

The two leagues are almost at polar opposites.  The coaches are still the headlining stars of CBB and they all have the same defense first system.  Coaches are figureheads in the NBA these days and defense is a thing of the past.  I don’t see how playing for an Izzo, Few, or Cronin is going to prepare someone for the pro game right now.

These other options that include G-League and Overtime Elite are going to pass the college game very soon when it comes to getting the top high school talent.  Shockingly, it won’t be because of money.  It will be that CBB style of play is stuck in the past and players find better places to develop their game for the next level.  Why go somewhere where a coach determines your playing by how well you commit to playing defense when that has no bearing on your future NBA draft status.

It reminds me a little of where Boxing was at in the early 2000’s as MMA was starting to come on the scene.  The big boxing promoters of the day thought the sport was too entrenched in popularity and never gave any credence to an obvious threat until it was too late.  Not sure how CBB fights this one but I expect they won’t even try as the fat cat coaches will do nothing and continue to collect the checks until the golden goose is dead.  

Edited by Hongbit

college basketball is boring right now.  imo, its been boring for a while.

but it still has the ncaa tournament that people enjoy.  the ratings for games on the major networks are still pretty solid.

i'll be interested to see what the elimination of one and done, combined with the expansion of the g league/nba minor leagues will do to the product.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...