This thread is for Comedy Skits (Probably NSFW)

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, if we're doing sitcoms now, this has got to be near the top of anyone's list.

I guess I'm in the minority but I never found AITF very funny. Maybe because my father was a big fan who liked it because he never saw it as satire at all. I suppose that guaranteed a negative response from my youthful oppositional self. Jean Stapleton was brilliant though. Her ability to stay in that character through any and everything was epic. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think All In The Family is in the conversation for greatest, most influential sitcom ever.

Really? Whose mind do you think it changed about anything? I tend to think that is was the at the cutting edge of the American system of media confirmation bias - but Lear was clever enough that it confirmed everyone's biases both ways. I think Liberals who think it was some kind of landmark at pushing cultural boundaries completely misunderstand how all the real Archies watching the show understood it. And I think Lear knew that perfectly well, basking in the glow of liberal affirmation while trotting to the bank with the proceeds of the conservative viewership's simultaneous self-satisfaction.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 1/23/2023 at 10:01 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

And now I'm standing on the edge of a rabbit hole....

The entire episode is just brilliant.    What a great show.  So many brilliant scenes, especially centering around Reverend Jim and Louie DePalma  (both were in Cuckoo's Nest, by the way).   One of the few shows to get cancelled and picked up by another network and then win the Emmy for Best Comedy Series after it was cancelled for a second time.  ABC and NBC kept moving the show around the schedule and I think the humor was too smart and required too much attention for viewers and advertisers.   The producers recovered quickly and gave us Cheers a year later.  

Cheers was near the bottom in the ratings it’s first year and in danger of cancelling but someone, not sure if it was Tartikoff or someone else was smart enough to recognize the summer rerun ratings were climbing. 

but yes Taxi might be underrated even. It was one of my favorites.  

• 1 month later...

If you stick around to the end of the credits, you will see that Shazzang is written not only by Smigel, but also Louis CK and Dino Stamatopoulos, one of the greatest and most prolific writers in TV late night and sketch comedy history and the guy who played Star-burns on Community.

Smigel is such a genius.  One of my favorite SNL sketches, which doesn't get much airplay is Sabra Price is Right.  It's not available anywhere proper, like youtube or the SNL stuff on streaming.  I had it recorded on a VHS from when it aired and it is on the Best of Tom Hanks DVD.  A lot of the jokes made its way into "Don't mess with the Zohan".  So many catch phrases from this were part of my lexicon.  "Like Sony", "Toshiba Guts", "When did you drop it?", "Go talk to my wife",.... I don't know if people think its racist..... I live in Dearborn and I can tell you it's accurate as hell.  Just a culture thing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We watched that the next day.  As people who use ASL, it was tough to watch because we kept thinking of ways to sign what they were trying to convey.  But it was fantastic.  I love when the daughter was 'using two hands' to express the word 'suck'.

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

We watched that the next day.  As people who use ASL, it was tough to watch because we kept thinking of ways to sign what they were trying to convey.  But it was fantastic.  I love when the daughter was 'using two hands' to express the word 'suck'.

“First of all, I don’t love that you use two hands …”

It was such an instant classic that Colin Jost had a callback to it during Update.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

That sketch must have been brutal to perform, having to look at both the cards and remembering the motions. 

Speaking of Jost, on that same episode Che played a trick on him during update where he told the audience not to laugh.

I think this season is starting to find it's groove.  It takes a newish cast a while.  I like that they seem to be going back to ensemble.  The last few years you'd forget someone was even in the cast.  too many people.  I record them every week and we watch on Sunday or Monday.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I've enjoyed it but haven't watched a whole lot of it.  Just random episodes and clips here and there. The fast paced nature requires my full attention so I get "tired" so to speak.

But it's really good and deserving of the credit.

That's exactly why I crapped out of it.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Edman85 said:

I dressed as Carnac for Halloween 2021. Recycled about 50 of his jokes, 20 of my own. Stuffed them in envelope and did the routine at the party. Zipideedoodah was the biggest hit.

Super!

In high school I was the only one who stayed up to watch Carson and Letterman. I’d shamelessly lift jokes from them and use them in homeroom the next day without attribution.