This thread is for Comedy Skits (Probably NSFW)

It's flat out not letting me reply with some of my Carnac jokes.

This is fall 2021 in Jacksonville, if you want to know why there are Urban Meyer jokes. Also people knew who Drew Smyly was form the World Series that was going on that night.

60 Minutes: How much time has Urban Meyer spent game planning this year?

Donald Trump: How does Donald win at euchre?

Kanye West: What is the opposite of Kanye East?

Drew Smyly: How does Drew act when he's happy?

Uber Driver: What will Urban Meyer be doing next year?

Dune, No Time to Die, and Taps: Name two hit movies and the Jaguars Fight Song.

I still have my Carnac hat... May use this one for a different group again.

Edited by Edman85
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

RIP Sam Kinison. He was before my time but I love listening to his standup.

His first appearance on Letterman, especially the final 2 minutes, rocked me. It’s still one of the most talked about comedy routines ever, I hear comedians referencing it all the time. Joe Rogan recently, for example, was going on about its impact. Similar to the content of the clip you posted, but I think the big thing about the Letterman appearance is that we were all hearing it for the first time. I do think Kinison wore out his welcome though and his shtick got old after a couple of years. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

RIP Sam Kinison. He was before my time but I love listening to his standup.

A radio friend of mine who tried stand up comedy down in Houston was friends with him and said he was the nicest guy who would do anything for anyone.   Saw him backstage once after he got really big and Sam just wanted him to stick around because he just wanted a real friend to hang out with for while.   Someone he could trust.  

The whole screaming thing about his wife...........that did not start out as a bit.  He was a bouncer at a comedy club in LA and would work on material on open mic nights.   One night he arrived late after getting in huge argument with his wife and he was still seething.  He got up on stage and started doing his normal (Carlin-esque) routine and saw a couple in front of the stage holding hands.  He asked if they were married and they said they were engaged and he just went on a REAL tirade about marriage and it absolutely killed - and that's where he found his niche.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/11/2023 at 7:31 AM, oblong said:

That sketch must have been brutal to perform, having to look at both the cards and remembering the motions. 

Speaking of Jost, on that same episode Che played a trick on him during update where he told the audience not to laugh.

I think this season is starting to find it's groove.  It takes a newish cast a while.  I like that they seem to be going back to ensemble.  The last few years you'd forget someone was even in the cast.  too many people.  I record them every week and we watch on Sunday or Monday.  

We haven’t talked about this for exactly one year now, but it occurred to me recently that SNL has transformed itself from a performer’s show back to a writer’s show, in that the scripts are the main thing (writers) and not the recurring characters (performers) which, really, I don’t think this cast has any at all, and I much prefer that.

Speaking of SNL, I think Jost and Che are in the conversation for best Weekend Update hosts ever, and this from this past Christmas was arguably their best-ever joke swap segment.

Edited by chasfh

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

We haven’t talked about this for exactly one year now, but it occurred to me recently that SNL has transformed itself from a performer’s show back to a writer’s show, in that the scripts are the main thing (writers) and not the recurring characters (performers) which, really, I don’t think this cast has any at all, and I much prefer that.

So do I. One disadvantage the cast has now is name recognition.  And that’s not their fault. Blame The DVR. I record them and fast forward the opening credits.   That’s how we learn who they are.  I know the faces but not the names, especially the white dudes… Boern Yang isn’t hard to pick out.

i bet Lorne stops after 50 years and hands it off. 

On 4/11/2024 at 10:24 PM, oblong said:

So do I. One disadvantage the cast has now is name recognition.  And that’s not their fault. Blame The DVR. I record them and fast forward the opening credits.   That’s how we learn who they are.  I know the faces but not the names, especially the white dudes… Boern Yang isn’t hard to pick out.

i bet Lorne stops after 50 years and hands it off. 

He's basically anointed Tina Fey as his replacement

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lorne-michaels-tina-fey-replace-him-saturday-night-live-snl/#

13 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Lost my damn mind (along with Heidi Gardner) watching this.

I didn’t love how they all gave in to breaking up during literally all the sketches, but maybe it was more or less a Ryan Gosling support thing. It’s not as though it’s an ongoing issue with this cast.

I was wondering how did the other people in the audience in this sketch not break up? Maybe they don’t speak English so they don’t know what’s being said? Otherwise they ever really good at maintaining stone faces.

Bill Hader broke the mold.  You really see it during the "Californian" sketches.  Lorne addressed it in the big book written about the show by the WaPo guy.  If it's funny and natural then that's what you get with a live show.

I don't mind the breaking if it is indeed natural.

I might reply that it's a fine line between giving in to a natural impulse to break character in an extraordinary situation, and allowing yourself to break on purpose because you think the audience likes being in on the joke.

It's one of the reasons Frank Zappa was never allowed back on the show back after he'd hosted. He constantly broke character in a bid to convey to the audience how stupid he thought it all was.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/frank-zappa-saturday-night-live-banned/

I recall hearing about Zappa's situation.  One problem with what he did is that on a live broadcast you have to trust each other and know when it's your turn to read the cards.  Once you break from that then the sketch can die.  Your cues are shot.  It's not improv.  The blocking and cameras are set up a certain way for a reason.

Regarding the Beavis and Butt Head sketch, Heidi Gardner addressed it in an interview

https://www.vulture.com/article/snl-heidi-gardner-beavis-and-butthead-sketch-interview.html

Basically she lost it during the dress rehearsal and tried to coach herself for the live show but it didn't work.