THE GAME #118: #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0) @ #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

logo.png.54d8570fb80cccfb838f7bd7eec89369.png          vs.          osu.png.a739135e2d6f196a1d008f34d23189af.png

Setting: 11/26/2022 12:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Ohio Stadium in Columbus, OH

Weather: 41° High, 32° Low, 44% chance of rain/snow mix, 14mph Wind

Opening Spread: Ohio State -6.5

All-Time Series Record: Michigan leads, 59-51-6

Last Meeting: 11/27/2021, Michigan won 42-27

#2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0)

Head Coach: Ryan Day (4th Season: 42-4)

Projected Starting QB: CJ Stroud (RS Sophomore: 21-2)

Last Week: 43-30 W @ Maryland Terrapins (6-5)

ezgif-5-ff980672cf.jpeg.a67d1b52c8b1ada6357c820ddb67c136.jpeg

#3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0)

Head Coach: Jim Harbaugh (15th Season: 72-24)

Projected Starting QB: JJ McCarthy (Sophomore: 10-0)

Last Week: 19-17 W v. Illinois Fighting Illini (7-4)

7350aea0-683b-11ed-a6f7-3ac75ab66382.jpeg.f7dfd95f400869f5df48120b465fed94.jpeg

"THE TEAM, THE TEAM, THE TEAM" -Bo Schembechler 

773146459_download(2).thumb.jpeg.0065b938da62b10910008efb79af1b2e.jpeg

"The only thing fun about being here is winning the game." -Woody Hayes

ezgif-5-2ae1ea6642.jpeg.a0be45e3e07c5c9cd85fbefc4dc5a8b5.jpeg

"Michigan better hope for a mercy rule... we are going to hang 100 on them." -Ryan Day

27osu-mich-web3-superJumbo.thumb.jpeg.7fa15c964fd5a119e4322a59e05f117b.jpeg

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." -Jim Harbaugh

mmh.FBC_.vsOhioState_11_27_21_1427.thumb.jpg.b98addd76b0eaa804123249115dfa007.jpg

"I don't care about any of that. I just want to beat Ohio State." -Dan Dierdorf

hi-res-cd616029570df7dcbe3f25a27012d6e1_crop_exact.thumb.jpeg.fdbfb652d5e61e54f063f20f2ddbbcb3.jpeg

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think you can bet this game until we know who is healthy for michigan.  some of their key players have been out for weeks now and their best player got hurt last week.

Ohio State had some injuries too. Stroud was limping for much of the 4th quarter, and their starting RG left with a lower body injury and didn't return. Henderson returned today after being out the last two games, and promptly exited after re-injuring himself.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not.  But there's a 2 hour documentary that's been on Bally Sports lately about The Game.  I found it pretty entertaining.  Sure, there's some rehash of certain tales, and how many times can certain stories be told?  But I thought it was good nonetheless.

image.jpeg.077b2c55e7bdcea3a9eeee7426b1c007.jpeg

I expect a very good, very close game reminiscent of 2006 and 2016. Hopefully with a different result.

Michigan's game plan will be the same as it was last year. Dominate the trenches, play your style of game, and don't turn the ball over on offense... Dominate the trenches and don't give up the big play on defense. 

Michigan remains the superior team physically, but Ohio State is head-and-shoulders above them athletically. JJ will need to step up, and at least one of Corum and Edwards will need to be on their game, preferably both. The weather may be on Michigan's side as well.

Ohio struggled almost as much against Maryland in the first half and 4th quarter as we did against Illinois. They sort of pulled away in the 3rd quarter, but let Maryland back in a little in the 4th. So I'm not as worried about the performance against Illinois as maybe I should be given how Ohio looked against Maryland.

I really think if Corum and Edwards are healthy that we can play bully ball and run right at them. Their run defense didn't look good against Indiana and Northwestern. If the run game is working early I expect that to be a big problem for them as it was last year.

41 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I expect a very good, very close game reminiscent of 2006 and 2016. Hopefully with a different result.

Michigan's game plan will be the same as it was last year. Dominate the trenches, play your style of game, and don't turn the ball over on offense... Dominate the trenches and don't give up the big play on defense. 

Michigan remains the superior team physically, but Ohio State is head-and-shoulders above them athletically. JJ will need to step up, and at least one of Corum and Edwards will need to be on their game, preferably both. The weather may be on Michigan's side as well.

50 degrees and 53% chance of rain is what I see now. If it turns into a wet, rainy, sloppy game, I would presume that favors our style of play offensively.

I'm praying for a strong wind out of the north to bring some of those colder temps in.  My biggest concern in the game is JJ McCarthy.  Even if we have our 2 top RBs back, if JJ has to throw the ball for us to win, my confidence is waning.  This WR group was so highly touted, & I don't know if there's inability to get separation or JJ's lack of ability to hit them, but it's not been good for a while now.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I'm praying for a strong wind out of the north to bring some of those colder temps in.  My biggest concern in the game is JJ McCarthy.  Even if we have our 2 top RBs back, if JJ has to throw the ball for us to win, my confidence is waning.  This WR group was so highly touted, & I don't know if there's inability to get separation or JJ's lack of ability to hit them, but it's not been good for a while now.

they definitely got separation a few times against Ilinios, but it was also a tough throwing day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

they definitely got separation a few times against Ilinios, but it was also a tough throwing day. 

wilson had separation but he never looked for wilson.  he just locked in on bell who was covered by illinois' cb who is a first day nfl draft pick, the tight end, or a dink to a third string running back.  and andrel anthony needs to catch some of those balls.

i agree with the internet consensus that michigan didnt take illinois seriously and almost paid for it.  rested a bunch of guys, ran very conservative plays for the most part, and almost lost because of it.

as to michigan's receivers, they have a group coming up who are very highly touted.  i expect them to start to break through next year and jj to look a lot better when they do.  bell is a nice player, but he isnt beating potential nfl corners.

• Like 1