THE GAME #118: #3 Michigan Wolverines (11-0) @ #2 Ohio State Buckeyes (11-0)

MichiganCardinal

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Were they down in Michigan due to Corum and Edwards not being fully healthy?

This was not tonight’s pod…have yet to listen to that yet.  

The gist was just the home team having the advantage and M not showing enough in the passing game.  

13 hours ago, romad1 said:

This was not tonight’s pod…have yet to listen to that yet.  

The gist was just the home team having the advantage and M not showing enough in the passing game.  

They were more optimistic in the pod from last night.  Last year's UFR of the offense was "The Longest Day" themed and it made sense: we were climbing a historic precipice but our will and our material capabilities (Hassan Haskins and a stout OL and a good passing defense) were up to the challenge.   Not sure if this year the theme should be the glorious but lethal storming of Fort Wagner by the 54th Mass or the stout defense of Little Round Top (including the 16th Michigan) at Gettysburg. 

Basically...I just don't know and I wish I felt better about it all.

We’ve talked a lot about Michigan’s schedule masking how good they really are.  The same is true for the Bucks.   This is not a typical physical Ohio St. OL.   They’ve been pushed around in long stretches against some bad teams.  Michigan can dominate these guys.   I’d pick UM if Corum and Edwards were healthy.   Interested in how JJ does if he has to be the man.  He has been good this year but not quite the star level that was expected.  Will today be the day where he puts it together and makes people go wow for a full game instead of just a couple plays here and there.    

Corum looks 85% or better:

UM 38

OSU 35

Corum limited:

OSU 45

UM 23

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

We’ve talked a lot about Michigan’s schedule masking how good they really are.  The same is true for the Bucks.   This is not a typical physical Ohio St. OL.   They’ve been pushed around in long stretches against some bad teams.  Michigan can dominate these guys.   I’d pick UM if Corum and Edwards were healthy.   Interested in how JJ does if he has to be the man.  He has been good this year but not quite the star level that was expected.  Will today be the day where he puts it together and makes people go wow for a full game instead of just a couple plays here and there.    

Corum looks 85% or better:

UM 38

OSU 35

Corum limited:

OSU 45

UM 23

I think this is a very fair and realistic assessment. I don't expect JJ to be able to carry this team on his back and he'll need as healthy a Corum and Edwards combo as he can get. If they are both healthy enough to be effective we can win this thing for sure. It was also reported that TE Luke Schoonmaker and T Trevor Keegan are both expected to play.

I feel things are remarkably similar to how they were last year. Michigan remains better on both lines and Ohio State remains better at all skill positions outside of Running Back… if two similar teams play in one week at site A and team A wins 42-27, I don’t think a rematch the next week at site B in slightly better weather would have a drastically different outcome. B might win some number of games out of 10, but they shouldn’t be blowing A out… Expand that out 364 days, and so long as it holds true (which admittedly requires that Corum and/or Edwards is playing and that JJ can play at least on par with Cade), I don’t see why it’s not still true. 

I understand the inclination to say Ohio State will win because they’re Ohio State and they always win. That’s where I was at last year. There were reasons to expect a tight game last year that were largely ignored, because there was no point. It was just like every other UM/OSU matchup in the last 20 years where OSU had something meaningful to play for. OSU was going to kill Michigan. Again. Until they didn’t.

Will Ohio State “care more” than Michigan? Who knows. I am pretty confident that Michigan cares too. And as much is made out of emotions and the rivalry, if you look back at history, the better team has won far more often than there is an emotional upset. At the end of the day it’s a college football game.

I expect a really close game that leaves the national media wanting them both in the playoff.

"corum is going to try to play" headlines are a bad omen.

i'd rather see "corum will be ready to play."

its too hard to judge michigan because the only team on the schedule the respected enough to open the playbook against was penn state.  they were about to lose to illinois and they still just ran the ball up the middle.  with third and fourth string backs!

this is the only game theyve cared about all year.  lets see what the offense does.

I don't have a good feeling about today - mostly because the Michigan downfield passing game is terrible, and that was against second-rate opponents.   Maybe they have a handful of plays they have been sitting on all season, but I don't think JJ is very accurate, even in the rare case his receivers get open.   The Tight Ends for Michigan need to have a big game today.    Just keep it close.   Lose a close game coupled with a USC loss and Georgia beating LSU and we're probably still in the playoffs.........A TCU loss would be nice too.     Alabama is sitting there waiting for the dominoes to fall, but would Clemson leap-frog them because of only 1 loss?   Maybe UNC beats them in the title game.