Week Thirteen: Jacksonville Jaguars (4-7) @ Detroit Lions (4-7)

MichiganCardinal

Honestly looking bad from a scoring perspective perhaps we were too harsh on them early in the year. No they weren't good or even average for that matter but outside of the Seattle debacle they didnt have any real egregious performances.

At the time we weren't happy about 38 to the Eagles but now while still not being good doesn't look like an abomination like it did at the time.

Giving up 30 to the Commanders wasnt good but we were up 22-0, if the scores were reversed and we did that people would just say it was because Washington got to conservative on defense and let us have easy scores so maybe that is what happened with the defense that game..

42 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Done some reading on the Jaguars forums. They want to fire Baalke and I don't blame them. This quote though caught my attention; "same ole Jags" 

What a strange ride.    They were 2:48 away from making the Super Bowl in the 2017 season and then just fell off a cliff immediately.   They are 19-58 since then.     

Urban Meyer set them backwards about 2 years.  Pederson's a good coach, but they are still at least one good draft away from being good again.    They are like the Lions,  they can beat anyone if it all clicks, but they can't seem to do it consistently.     Can't fire the GM now.    He's had some decent drafts recently.  

As bad and incompetent ownership goes, Shahid Khan is a whole 'nother level. He has truly no idea what he is doing.

His background is in engineering and he owns the Jaguars for fun and money. Which is great and all, but he also operates the football side to the nth degree without knowing what he's doing (WCF anyone?)... Hiring Urban was a disaster that I'm sure quite a few teams could have seen coming (including the Lions and Falcons). Baalke was a terrible GM in San Francisco who drove everyone he worked with away (including a pretty good coach named Jim Harbaugh). Jim Caldwell was going to take the job in Jacksonville, but wouldn't do it with Baalke there. Same with Byron Leftwich. Rather than look at the man driving his top candidates away, Khan looked elsewhere for a coach.

I'm not sold that Pederson is a great coach. There is a reason Philadelphia canned him, and I don't think he is the next Andy Reid. If Lawrence turns into the franchise altering QB he was projected to be, Pederson will probably look pretty good for it. Baalke is unlikely to help that cause though and neither will Khan. If they ever repeat the magical run they did in 2017, it will be despite their owner.