Week Thirteen: Jacksonville Jaguars (4-7) @ Detroit Lions (4-7)

MichiganCardinal

1163906338_LionsLogo.png.b1cbb63b40be64d45231d4ae9971617e.png          vs.          jaguars.png.bc72a79efd0f4309e27b096556c19d3a.png

Setting: 12/04/2022 1:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -1

All-Time Series Record: Lions lead, 4-3

Last Meeting: 10/18/2020, Lions won 34-16

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-7)

Head Coach: Doug Pederson (6th Season: 46-44)

Projected Starting QB: Trevor Lawrence (2nd Season: 7-21)

Last Week: 28-27 W v. Baltimore Ravens (7-4)

Looking Ahead to Week #14: Sunday @ Tennessee Titans (7-4)

ezgif-2-f9edb9f7df.thumb.jpeg.5c73b03ac20bd79bb84c5d0c5d84f9af.jpeg

Your Detroit Lions (4-7)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (2nd Season: 7-20-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (7th Season: 49-44-1)

Last Week: 28-25 L v. Buffalo Bills (8-3)

Looking Ahead to Week #14: Sunday v. Minnesota Vikings (9-2)

3000.thumb.jpeg.d265046f0b75a21dbbe86c3d081e1ef1.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Bills @ Patriots (TNF), Colts @ Cowboys (SNF), Saints @ Buccaneers (MNF)

1:00pm: Steelers @ Falcons, Broncos @ Ravens, Packers @ Bears, Browns @ Texans, Jets @ Vikings, Commanders @ Giants, Titans @ Eagles

4:05/4:25pm: Seahawks @ Rams, Dolphins @ 49ers, Chiefs @ Bengals, Chargers @ Raiders

BYE: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers

I know Jacksonville's fan base is lacking in volume, but I wonder what their thoughts on Lawrence are. Most QBs don't get to go 7-21+ to start their career and still have a very lengthy rope entering their 3rd year. I know he was touted as a "generational prospect", but his stats haven't been all that, even if you consider the Urban year a wash.

Then again, look at Tua -  seems to have suddenly blossomed into the guy there was no sign of in his 1st couple of years. It's funny, the position is probably more demanding and complex than ever, but the conventional wisdom about how long it takes a QB to get fully up to league speed has gone pretty much the other way. 

I read something yesterday that said that Mike McDaniel ripped up hundreds of plays for Tua and completely simplified and tailored everything he could to maximize his abilities. Between that and having two speedsters that can create seperation and are major YAC guys in Hill and Waddle and it's easy to see how he is having the success he has had this year. 

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I know Jacksonville's fan base is lacking in volume, but I wonder what their thoughts on Lawrence are. Most QBs don't get to go 7-21+ to start their career and still have a very lengthy rope entering their 3rd year. I know he was touted as a "generational prospect", but his stats haven't been all that, even if you consider the Urban year a wash.

Outside of a rough patch in the middle of the season, he's had a really good year actually surprisingly under the radar considering how much hype he had coming in to the NFL. He just has the look of a QB ready to turn the corner, similar to Peyton Manning in his 2nd year. I'm still buying full stock on him.

One of the biggest reasons of them all that Tua is successful is because he is on a rookie contract and they are able to go out and get a Tyreek Hill. That rookie contract is what allowed them to restructure and resign Hill and will allow the Dolphins to absorb the coming $31 million cap hit from Tyreek Hill next season. If the Dolphins have to pay Tua a big money contract, which they likely will, their cap flexibility is likely going to go down.

Tua is the benefactor of good offensive coaching/playcalling with Mike McDaniel, having Hill and Waddle to throw to, and his own rookie contract that allows Tyreek Hill to be traded for in the first place.

Daniel Jones also threw 2 INTs and had a 74 QB rating against the Lions. That 74 QB rating was the fourth lowest of the season for Jones, the 61.4 completion percentage was the third lowest, and he came into the game having thrown 2 INTs the entire season. He also attempted a season high 44 pass attempts against the Lions so he did rack up some yards late. It's ok to admit the Lions played well. 

Edited by Motown Bombers