Week Fifteen: Detroit Lions (6-7) @ New York Jets (7-6)

MichiganCardinal

On 12/13/2022 at 11:39 AM, Motown Bombers said:

My prediction: winner of this game goes to the playoffs. I think the Lions win 13-10. Jets jump out to an early 1st quarter lead of 10-0 but do not score the rest of the game. The Lions win is aided by a controversial INT in the end zone by Okudah. Mike White struggles with the crowd noise which is odd since it's a home game for him. Swift rushes for 184 yards with a big 53 yard run under 2 minutes to ice the game. 

Now that Wilson is starting, I'm changing my prediction. Goff starts the game by throwing a pick six on the very first play of the game. Goff settles down and the Lions lead 17-10 at half time. Jets come out of the half and tie it at 17. However, the Lions proceed to score 31 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter. It turns out the Jets still use the same playcalls from 2001 when Glenn last played there. The Lions defense knows exactly what the Jets are doing. After a 4 INT game by Wilson, Jets wave the white flag and insert Flacco. Final score 48-17 Lions.

25 years ago - last game of the season.  Jets @ Lions at the Silverdome.     The last game I ever saw at the Silverdome

Both teams needed a win to get into the playoffs.  Parcells vs. Fontes

The noise level was the loudest thing I have ever experienced (louder than a Smashing Pumpkins concert).    

The game was stopped on several occasions because Jets QB Neil O'Donnell couldn't hear anything.  The refs finally gave up asking the crowd to be quiet because that wasn't going to shut us up. 

I walked into the suite of my friend's radio station and the windows were sealed shut and you couldn't hear any crowd noise - it sucked.   

That was the game were it also got eerily quiet when Reggie Brown got hurt and we saw Lions players running full speed to get help, so we knew it was bad.  He never played again but he can walk

Barry broke the 2,000 yard barrier on a 2 or 3 yard run and the crowd erupted

Then I said to my friend  "What if he loses 3 yards on the next play?" and about 3 seconds later he busted one for 53 yards down to about the 2 yard line, Lions got in victory formation and it was game over.   

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

25 years ago - last game of the season.  Jets @ Lions at the Silverdome.     The last game I ever saw at the Silverdome

Both teams needed a win to get into the playoffs.  Parcells vs. Fontes

The noise level was the loudest thing I have ever experienced (louder than a Smashing Pumpkins concert).    

The game was stopped on several occasions because Jets QB Neil O'Donnell couldn't hear anything.  The refs finally gave up asking the crowd to be quiet because that wasn't going to shut us up. 

I walked into the suite of my friend's radio station and the windows were sealed shut and you couldn't hear any crowd noise - it sucked.   

That was the game were it also got eerily quiet when Reggie Brown got hurt and we saw Lions players running full speed to get help, so we knew it was bad.  He never played again but he can walk

Barry broke the 2,000 yard barrier on a 2 or 3 yard run and the crowd erupted

Then I said to my friend  "What if he loses 3 yards on the next play?" and about 3 seconds later he busted one for 53 yards down to about the 2 yard line, Lions got in victory formation and it was game over.   

Opposite experience for me when I think of Lions/Jets. 

I was there for MNF week one 2018, the last time these teams played. By “there”, I mean I was still in line at security (they implemented something new and it went terribly, everyone was there for 45+ minutes) when the Lions picked off Sam Darnold to start his career… Turned out that was the best play of the season.

I was in my seat for the rest of the thrashing though! I remember booing after Stafford threw his 4th interception and thinking how worried I was if this was Matt Patricia’s debut. We lost 48-17.

Another underrated Lions-Jets game was in 2000 when the Lions won 10-7. It was late in the season I believe second to last game. The Lions needed to win to keep pace with the Rams. I believe the only TD for the Lions was a fumble recovery by Jeff Hartings. The win set up the big game against Chicago where all the Lions had to do was beat the last place Bears.