Week Fifteen: Detroit Lions (6-7) @ New York Jets (7-6)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I hope the Lions don't complete break the Jets. We need them to beat Seattle. I think 9 wins can get in. For 9 wins to make it, Seattle 1st needs to go 1-2. Very doable. 

Seattle: KC, NYJ, LAR. They can easily lose to KC and NYJ. Seattle is fading fast.

New York and Washington play each other. One or the other needs to go 1-3. I think It's more likely New York does. They lose to Washington. That means 1-2 against Minnesota, Indianapolis, and Philadelphia. I can see them losing to the Vikings and Eagles. Even if the Eagles are resting players, they can't rest everyone and that is a deep team. We will also want to root for Dallas so that final game against the Giants has meaning.

These are scenarios are if the Lions go 3-1. If they go 4-0, Seattle would need to win out. The Giants would need to also win out if they lose to Washington. Bottom line, Lions are probably 99% favorites to make the playoffs if they win and the Lions have the easiest schedule of all these teams. 

The best outcome this weekend would be for the Giants and Commanders to tie again (believe it or not) or a Commanders win because of the tough remaining schedule for the Giants, the Lions win the tiebreaker if they go 9-8 and the Giants and Commanders go 8-7-2 and if it's a 3 way tie with Seattle also going 9-8, the Lions would win that tiebreaker because of conference record so a tie or Washington win is what we should root for in that game.

I'm having a hard time envisioning the Lions winning all 3 road games in December conditions so I'm looking at the path at 9-8. 10-7 and the Lions will almost certainly be in I'd think.

Edited by NYLion

42 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Not excited about facing Wilson—he’ll have a chip on his shoulder and look to get the team, and his job, back.  Unless he’s a total moron.

He may have a chip on his shoulder, but that doesn't mean he'll be able to play well.  He averaged ~180 yards per game, completing just 55.5% of his passes.  He also has more INTs than TDs.

Like Wayne Fontes coaxing a winning streak out to save his job in the 90's, these boys are on a roll and should win on Saturday. With all the key pieces missing for the Jets and how good this team has played the past month I think we are going into New York and winning. A win against the Jets sets us on the course for the playoffs as I think we have a real shot to win out against some very bad opponents.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

These are scenarios are if the Lions go 3-1. If they go 4-0, Seattle would need to win out. The Giants would need to also win out if they lose to Washington. Bottom line, Lions are probably 99% favorites to make the playoffs if they win and the Lions have the easiest schedule of all these teams. 

The scenarios are all fun to talk about it, but to paraphrase AJ Hinch, they need to focus on winning this week's game from here until the end.

I know it isn't 100%, but with something like 97% odds by going 4-0, they basically control their own destiny at this point.

Edited by mtutiger

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Not excited about facing Wilson—he’ll have a chip on his shoulder and look to get the team, and his job, back.  Unless he’s a total moron.

I'm just hoping he doesn't try to bang Goff's mom..that could rattle Goff...and possibly his mom

Edited by Shinzaki

"Goff has been surprisingly productive in 2022, ranking third in Football Outsiders' passing DYAR. But he still struggles to throw deep passes to the outside. His QBR on deep passes (16-plus air yards) outside the numbers is 39.1, which ranks 28th among qualifying quarterbacks. He was much better on these passes in 2021 with a 62.8 QBR -- but that still ranked him 23rd in the league.

For a comparison, Goff's QBR on deep passes between the numbers is 98.3, tied for seventh in the NFL."

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

"Goff has been surprisingly productive in 2022, ranking third in Football Outsiders' passing DYAR. But he still struggles to throw deep passes to the outside. His QBR on deep passes (16-plus air yards) outside the numbers is 39.1, which ranks 28th among qualifying quarterbacks. He was much better on these passes in 2021 with a 62.8 QBR -- but that still ranked him 23rd in the league.

For a comparison, Goff's QBR on deep passes between the numbers is 98.3, tied for seventh in the NFL."

So what might happen if you had wide outs that aren't very good at beating NFL quality corners but just maybe you have an inside receiver that really good at getting open? Just asking for a friend.   🤔

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Probably the most important game for the Lions since week 16 of the 2017 season where we were 8-6 and the then 7th seed heading into Cincy. We needed to win out and get some help to make it but we were right in the thick of things.

Had the Lions not got screwed on the 10 second runoff against Atlanta, they would have made the playoffs. Had they made the playoffs, they would have faced none other than Jared Goff and the Rams.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Had the Lions not got screwed on the 10 second runoff against Atlanta, they would have made the playoffs. Had they made the playoffs, they would have faced none other than Jared Goff and the Rams.

Damn didn't realize that game was that year, doesn't seem like it was over 5 years ago, atleast to me anyway. I would've guessed it was in 2019 maybe 2018 at the latest. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I didn't want to let it happen but I've become emotionally invested in this team again;

Screenshot_20221217-094959_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.0ef9639fe508fee51a94c0490095c5d5.jpg

At this point, the worst that could happen is that they end up exceeding my preseason expectation (six wins) by one. But they very easily could win out and sneak into the playoffs one year early. 

Now if Minnesota loses out and we win out, and we win the division, that will be both awesome and hilarious. 

It’s all gravy from here. 

• Haha 1

Oh, they have us believing..............Isn't this what they always do, only to let us down?    

We've been here before.    I remember the year with Schwartz where all they had to do was win 2 of their last 4 and they lost all 4?        It would be so Lions for them to go into the Bears game needing to only win 1 game to get into the playoffs, only to lose both.   I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't believe.     It would take a Festivus Miracle !

Just now, sagnam said:

The Lions could realistically beat the Bucs/Panthers or Vikings in the playoffs too.

I think the Lions could beat anyone in a playoff game in good weather conditions.   They almost beat the Eagles before their rookies knew what they were doing.      Ever since Aubrey Pleasant left they have played like a team that could beat anyone, really.   The secondary got so much more physical and aggressive after he left and yes, they still get burned,  but they also make some big plays............before they got that way they were just getting passively ground down.    Aubrey wasn't following the script and the whole defense broke down.  I get why they sacked him.  

I think the NFL needs to chuck this idea that a division winner gets the auto bid.   The playoffs should be the best 7 teams in each conference.  Still have division for scheduling purposes.  This idea of an 8-9 or 7-10 team hosting a playoff game is awful.   Nobody in the South deserves to be in the playoffs.   Tampa Bay is puke.  Carolina gave up.  Atlanta lingers and the second Winston went down it was over in NOLA.     

If Carolina somehow gets into the playoffs at 8-9 or 7-10,  shouldn't Wilkes get the gig permanently?      Don't make the mistake the Raiders made by firing Rich Bisaccia.  Rich had them playing really well and they almost beat the Bengals in the playoffs (on a flukey play that might have been a bad call).   They hired Josh McJerkface and took a big step backwards.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think the NFL needs to chuck this idea that a division winner gets the auto bid

I'd agree it made more sense when the divisions were larger so 50% of your games were in division. You could better argue that the team that won the division pretty much had to be the better team regardless of it non-div record because it was hard to win your division without beating the other teams in it head to head. There are now only 6 divisional games out of a 17 game schedule to that shifts the logic IMV. But you still have an issue with strength of schedule variation in the NFL being so large. Maybe the 'best' way would be some formula where SOS was a factor, but if the NCAA experience is any precedent, the fans would end up hating it.