2022 Fiesta Bowl: #2 Michigan Wolverines (13-0) v. #3 TCU Horned Frogs (12-1)

MichiganCardinal

Just now, lordstanley said:

These probably were the four right teams for the CFP. 

B1G didn't embarrass themselves, so there's that.

I kind of disagree.  Michigan embarrassed themselves defensively tonight.    They didn't take their opponent seriously.  The bought their own hype - just like the Lions did last week.     So much better when they are underdogs. 

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

These probably were the four right teams for the CFP. 

B1G didn't embarrass themselves, so there's that.

Ohio State didn't... most seemed to think that Georgia would win. 

Michigan? They should have beaten TCU... they are a more talented football team and (despite some of the bad officiating) just made too many mistakes.

We had New Year's from New York on one TV (we're old, we watch the East Coast midnight at 9pm our time then go to bed soon after) and the OSU game on my PC. The PC may have been a bit delayed, but it literally came down on my screens to the kick going wide with exactly 3 seconds until midnight.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Ohio State didn't... most seemed to think that Georgia would win. 

Michigan? They should have beaten TCU... they are a more talented football team and (despite some of the bad officiating) just made too many mistakes.

Agreed, Michigan players and coaches will be kicking themselves for years over this one. But the biggest degradation to Michigan's big win over OSU would have been if TCU had held onto what at one point was a 19-point lead and then OSU got blown out by Georgia. These were two exciting games for neutrals involving four top teams. TCU may only be the 7th or 8th best team in the country, but good enough to beat Michigan (or Ohio State or anyone not named Georgia) if things fall the right way, like it did for them today.

Admittedly I root for the other team in-state, but when it comes to this setting, I root conference. 

Maybe it's because I live in SEC/Big 12 country, but the losses for both of these programs reflect poorly on the conference as a whole and how it is perceived... they are objectively the next best conference after the SEC in terms of talent, but continually watching B1G teams **** the bed on the big stage isn't a positive for any of its programs.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Admittedly I root for the other team in-state, but when it comes to this setting, I root conference. 

Maybe it's because I live in SEC/Big 12 country, but the losses for both of these programs reflect poorly on the conference as a whole and how it is perceived... they are objectively the next best conference after the SEC in terms of talent, but continually watching B1G teams **** the bed on the big stage isn't a positive for any of its programs.

The Big Ten sucked this year.    The 3rd best team was Penn State and Penn State was not good............  I don't think anybody Michigan or Ohio State played this year prepared them for the playoffs and it showed in the end.   You put either one of those teams in the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 12 and they don't go unscathed.