2022 Fiesta Bowl: #2 Michigan Wolverines (13-0) v. #3 TCU Horned Frogs (12-1)

MichiganCardinal

CFP_SEMIFINAL_FIESTA_BOWL_DUAL_SIG_LT_BG.thumb.jpeg.a1b6b2ee06c20ead0e2e1800de7badd5.jpeg

logo.png.54d8570fb80cccfb838f7bd7eec89369.png.9356f588ef594e91ef959ab24ede730d.pngvs. TCU-Logo-1965-768x432_3_350x256.png.c735101f5dce0fc515c5c83e0346bf70.png

Setting: 12/31/2022 4:00pm EST on ESPN

Site: State Farm Stadium in Glendale, AZ

Weather: Retractable Roof

Opening Spread: Michigan -7.5

All-Time Series Record: First Ever Matchup

#3 TCU Horned Frogs

Head Coach: Sonny Dykes (13th Season: 83-64, 1-3 in Bowl Games)

Projected Starting QB: Max Duggan (Senior: 24-17)

Big 12 Championship: 31-28 L (OT) v. #9 Kansas State Wildcats (10-3)

GettyImages-1245340522.thumb.webp.27eb1241fc93f58f42833964ff4bad49.webp

#2 Michigan Wolverines (13-0)

Head Coach: Jim Harbaugh (15th Season: 74-24, 2-6 in Bowl Games)

Projected Starting QB: JJ McCarthy (Sophomore: 12-0)

B1G Championship: 43-22 W v. Purdue Boilermakers (8-5)

Michigan-football-v-Purdue-5986.thumb.webp.3789786f4d93ecc22502a0ac3421d0c6.webp

College Football Playoff History

1790570053_ScreenShot2022-12-14at12_28_11PM.thumb.png.832aee5e0ff4968a82a14656b958ed16.png

Edited by MichiganCardinal

24 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Michigan wins by 10+.

I think it's a very stereotypical Michigan game for this year. They get off to a slow start, TCU goes up by two scores at some point in the first half, Michigan is down at the half, and completely dominates the second half. I think their margin of victory depends on how poorly they play in the first half. If they're down 3, or find themselves up at the half, I think they win by double digits. If they are down double digits at the half, I still think they probably pull out a win, but there might be a little sweat involved.

Max Duggan is no joke. That kid showed some Dan Campbell esque GRIT in the Big 12 Championship. I've never seen a kid just completely lay it all on the line and put a team on his back like he did on the drive where TCU tied it.

I will say that I think Ohio State vs. Georgia could shape up to be a phenomenal game. I think Michigan made Ohio State look a lot worse than they actually are in the second half, and I think that Ohio State's offensive firepower could test the Georgia defense in ways they haven't been tested this year. The Georgia offense is a better matchup for them than the Michigan offense was too.... Or I could be wrong and Georgia will roll them. Either way, I'l be entertained.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think ohio state is soft up front and georgia is going to physically beat them more than michigan did.  georgia's pass rush will bother stroud.  

i think georgia is on a different level than michigan or ohio state.

It took Ohio State three tries before they finally beat Clemson during their run. Could well be the same case for Michigan taking on Georgia. Jim has built this team to beat Ohio State and succeeded. Now he needs to adapt it to beat the SEC, which is a whole new beast.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It took Ohio State three tries before they finally beat Clemson during their run. Could well be the same case for Michigan taking on Georgia. Jim has built this team to beat Ohio State and succeeded. Now he needs to adapt it to beat the SEC, which is a whole new beast.

i hope youre right, but i would be very surprised, especially without corum.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

With Mullins for short yardage and a healthy Edwards they won't miss Corum too much. But does Edwards have both hands back by then?

i disagree.  i think corum brings something edwards doesnt.  and corum + edwards is better than edwards + mullings.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i disagree.  i think corum brings something edwards doesnt.  and corum + edwards is better than edwards + mullings.

you're trading yards after 1st contact for big play potential. So it's going to depend on M's O-line push. If they can't move TCU's D-line, then the one or two yards after contact will be mucho missed trying to keep the chains moving; if they are making holes, Edwards will do as much or more damage - again, if he has both hands by then. M is pushing their luck when they have to give 25 carries to a one handed back. 

You wonder how TCU will try to defend, will they bring everyone up and risk the big play like OSU did or will they play straight up and hope they can still force a few punts?

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 1:28 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it's a very stereotypical Michigan game for this year. They get off to a slow start, TCU goes up by two scores at some point in the first half, Michigan is down at the half, and completely dominates the second half. I think their margin of victory depends on how poorly they play in the first half. If they're down 3, or find themselves up at the half, I think they win by double digits. If they are down double digits at the half, I still think they probably pull out a win, but there might be a little sweat involved.

Max Duggan is no joke. That kid showed some Dan Campbell esque GRIT in the Big 12 Championship. I've never seen a kid just completely lay it all on the line and put a team on his back like he did on the drive where TCU tied it.

I will say that I think Ohio State vs. Georgia could shape up to be a phenomenal game. I think Michigan made Ohio State look a lot worse than they actually are in the second half, and I think that Ohio State's offensive firepower could test the Georgia defense in ways they haven't been tested this year. The Georgia offense is a better matchup for them than the Michigan offense was too.... Or I could be wrong and Georgia will roll them. Either way, I'l be entertained.

I still feel the same way about both of the games.  I do think Max Duggan will be a problem for the Michigan defense. They haven’t seen a mobile QB this year, and Duggan is one of the best.

RE Ohio State, I think they have the most offensive talent of any team in the country, and I think they’ll be playing pissed off after hearing nothing but how bad they are since late November.

Michigan 37 TCU 26

Ohio State 45 Georgia 42

Michigan and OSU are good teams but I can’t tell how good since the rest of the B1G was so much weaker than normal, especially on offense.   We will find out tomorrow but I wouldn’t be shocked if both teams disappoint.   I’m taking the points with TCU and laying with Georgia.  

Edited by Hongbit

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

That OSU line on Michigan should be printed and posted in the M locker room all week if that game happens.

I was just thinking about that today before I saw this. Line surprises me a bit. I was guessing Michigan would be favored by around 2 in a re-match but that I personally would make OSU slight 2 point favorites. That of course is before seeing how the teams look tomorrow.