2022 Fiesta Bowl: #2 Michigan Wolverines (13-0) v. #3 TCU Horned Frogs (12-1)

MichiganCardinal

26 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Ohio State didn't... most seemed to think that Georgia would win. 

Michigan? They should have beaten TCU... they are a more talented football team and (despite some of the bad officiating) just made too many mistakes.

Can't give up two pick sixes, plus a third turnover, and expect to win in a big game, against a top tier opponent like TCU. JJ's mistakes really hurt independent of the disgraceful officiating that occurred.

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Big Ten sucked this year.    The 3rd best team was Penn State and Penn State was not good............  I don't think anybody Michigan or Ohio State played this year prepared them for the playoffs and it showed in the end.   You put either one of those teams in the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 12 and they don't go unscathed.   

The Big 12 isn't good either, fwiw

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

We had New Year's from New York on one TV (we're old, we watch the East Coast midnight at 9pm our time then go to bed soon after) and the OSU game on my PC. The PC may have been a bit delayed, but it literally came down on my screens to the kick going wide with exactly 3 seconds until midnight.

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m still trying to comprehend these teams scored TD’s in 8:25 of game time in the 2nd half.  Absolute madness! I can’t recall ever seeing something like that before.  

EDAB8094-CE38-46A2-8EF5-0C99DACC3943.thumb.jpeg.57f1e3aa9b97ad008c9d026446954183.jpeg

A lot of dynamic offense.  The Roman Wilson TD where he spun into the end zone was the high point of my day for sure.

Defensive breakdown was always lurking there as possibility with this team, but for me the killer was that after the first play, the  O-line didn't move anyone all night - in the second half even though the O was scoring it was too fast, leaving the D still spending too much time on the field.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The combination of terrible red zone play calling and piss poor tackling played a bigger role in the loss than officiating, injuries, quality of prior schedule, or long layoffs.  

My hypothesis is that the long layoff allowed them to coach too many clever wrinkles and they tried to do too much.  

10 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My hypothesis is that the long layoff allowed them to coach too many clever wrinkles and they tried to do too much.  

The team was obviously distracted by the Mazi Smith incident.  They win this game by 4 TD if Jim & Warde handled it differently. 

9 hours ago, buddha said:

to all of you young fans under 50: this is what being a michigan fan has always been like.

really great regular seasons followed by a disappointing bowl loss.

welcome to the 70s and 80s!

And the past two years is the very top end of what being a Michigan fan in the ‘70s and ‘80s was like. Bo’s teams were rarely if ever in the national title conversation in the interval between the OSU game and the bowl games.  This may have been the 2nd most successful Michigan season of the past 70 years. Typical Michigan season even between 1980 and 2007 was 3 or 4 losses. Only in 1970-1979 decade was 1 or 2 losses the norm  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_Wolverines_football_seasons

Edited by lordstanley

I’m sure there are a ton of crazy stats or oddities coming out of yesterday’s game. Here are two:

- in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half, Michigan scored 32 points

- Michigan had 4 2nd half TD drives of 1:15 or less  

A question  I have:

- has Michigan ever scored 45 points and lost?

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I’m sure there are a ton of crazy stats or oddities coming out of yesterday’s game. Here are two:

- in the first 16 minutes of the 2nd half, Michigan scored 32 points

- Michigan had 4 2nd half TD drives of 1:15 or less  

A question  I have:

- has Michigan ever scored 45 points and lost?

didnt they lose a game like that to northwestern when atrain fumbled?  i think they lost an ot game to illinois during the richrod era.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

And the past two years is the very top end of what being a Michigan fan in the ‘70s and ‘80s was like. Bo’s teams were rarely if ever in the national title conversation in the interval between the OSU game and the bowl games.  This may have been the 2nd most successful Michigan season of the past 70 years. Typical Michigan season even between 1980 and 2007 was 3 or 4 losses. Only in 1970-1979 decade was 1 or 2 losses the norm  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Michigan_Wolverines_football_seasons

this was probably the third best michigan team i can really remember.  the early 70s teams are generally thought of as bo's best, but the 85-86 teams with harbaugh at qb were the best i can remember from bo's days.

lloyd's best team was 97 obviously, but the brady teams were right there too.  for some reason the 06 team just doesnt rate as highly for me considering what happened to them at the end.

mo had some good squads too.  the team that tied 3 games was good.  desmond's hesiman year was a really good team who just met up with a juggernaut washington team in the rose bowl and got embarassed.

Edited by buddha