Jump to content

Of historical importance...


Cruzer1
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm kind of a history buff, and I love old interactions such as this between President Kennedy and President Eisenhower. I was shocked that Kennedy referred to him as General, unless Ike had told him to call him that before this call...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After leaving office JFK restorer Ike’s army status.  That’s the cliffs notes version.  He did that to soothe the old man and butter him up.  It was his preferred title and especially at that moment in time JFK needed Ike’a support to convince the country. He’d have called him Master Ike the Supreme if that would have worked. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

After leaving office JFK restorer Ike’s army status.  That’s the cliffs notes version.  He did that to soothe the old man and butter him up.  It was his preferred title and especially at that moment in time JFK needed Ike’a support to convince the country. He’d have called him Master Ike the Supreme if that would have worked. 

Ike served as President, but found a lot about politics to be silly and pointless, so he preferred General.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I'm kind of a history buff, and I love old interactions such as this between President Kennedy and President Eisenhower. I was shocked that Kennedy referred to him as General, unless Ike had told him to call him that before this call...

 

First of all - very cool that this is recorded on an album..............that's how they recorded things

 

Secondly.   Could you imagine anyone having a meaningful conversation like that with Trump?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oblong said:

After leaving office JFK restorer Ike’s army status.  

I'm a bit confused by this.  In the United States, you get to keep your highest title, correct?  Ergo some people still call Rudy "Mayor Giuliani", and Hillary is still "Madame Secretary"?  If that is true, wouldn't Eisenhower be entitled to be called General if he wanted to be, regardless of his active status?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm a bit confused by this.  In the United States, you get to keep your highest title, correct?  Ergo some people still call Rudy "Mayor Giuliani", and Hillary is still "Madame Secretary"?  If that is true, wouldn't Eisenhower be entitled to be called General if he wanted to be, regardless of his active status?

 

 

 

 

 

 

AFAIK, post duty titles in the US are nothing more than courtesies. They can be offered or ignored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      199
    • Most Online
      119

    Newest Member
    gvhoff97
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...