So..........What's your batting lineup for 2023?

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1 - Austin Meadows, rf

2 - Nick Maton, 3b

3 - Riley Greene, cf

4 - Javier Baez, ss

5 - Eric Haase, c

6 - Miguel Cabrera/Kerry Carpenter, dh

7 - Spencer Torkelson, 1b

8 - Jonathan Schoop, 2b

9 - Matt Vierling/Akil Baddooo, lf

Bench - Donny Sands, Ryan Kreidler

Phil doesn't agree...

(Assume Opening Day, lineup will change a LOT day to day)

1. Riley Greene (CF)

2. Matt Vierling (LF)

3. Javier Baez (SS)

4. Austin Meadows (RF)

5. Eric Haase (C)

6. Spencer Torkelson (1B)

7. Miguel Cabrera (DH)

8. Nick Maton (3B)

9. Jonathan Schoop (2B)

Bench: Donny Sands, Ryan Kreidler, Tyler Nevin, Kerry Carpenter 

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

(Assume Opening Day, lineup will change a LOT day to day)

1. Riley Greene (CF)

2. Matt Vierling (LF)

3. Javier Baez (SS)

4. Austin Meadows (RF)

5. Eric Haase (C)

6. Spencer Torkelson (1B)

7. Miguel Cabrera (DH)

8. Nick Maton (3B)

9. Jonathan Schoop (2B)

Bench: Donny Sands, Ryan Kreidler, Tyler Nevin, Kerry Carpenter 

Opening day is against the Rays, who will likely throw Shane McClanahan. I doubt Maton is in the lineup, and Meadows is that high up if in at all.

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Opening day is against the Rays, who will likely throw Shane McClanahan. I doubt Maton is in the lineup, and Meadows is that high up if in at all.

I took that into account when filling it out... these are fair comments, Nevin or Kreidler could play over Maton for sure.

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I will be depressed if Nevin makes the team and is in the Opening Day starting lineup. Was hoping he was AAA depth.

Also part of why I listed Maton in the starting lineup despite McClanahan... hard to see either Nevin or Kreidler getting that start on Opening Day. Although they may take a more utilitarian approach, we'll see.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Also part of why I listed Maton in the starting lineup despite McClanahan... hard to see either Nevin or Kreidler getting that start on Opening Day. Although they may take a more utilitarian approach, we'll see.

Platoons matter on opening day too.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Maton has hit lefties better than righties...in a very small sample size.  I do think he'll be platooned though.  Harris was targeting a LH hitting infielder, probably for that reason.  

I think they'll start out slow with Malloy, wanting to get him some AAA at-bats. He might wow in spring training and just make the team... I'm just playing cautious with him as I think the team will also. But he could surprise.

If not, I have Nevin place-holding the spot until he gets pushed out (and back to AAA for him, or does he hold onto a bench spot...?)

The entire team sucks with OBP, so I put Vierling and Baez in the top two spots as challenges to them to get on base. I think Hinch will challenge them exactly as such. Vierling actually has a minor league obp of .333, a .364 obp his 1st season in a small sample size of 77 pa's and a .297 obp last year in a larger sample of 357 pa's... so I don't know how that will work out. But, again, I think Hinch/ new batting coaches will challenge him. And he does have enough speed to not clog the basepaths, and maybe even take extra bases... If it's a platoon, the same challenge can go out to Baddoo, if he makes this team. Just get on base.

I think the same challenge goes out to Baez, who has been spotty, at best. And probably still swings wildly at any and all sliders but... I want this challenge on him. If it's a righty on the mound (I have this as a Lefty facing opening day lineup), he can swap lineup positions with Austin Meadows and drop to 6th. If it's consistent: 2nd against lefties and 6th against righties... he'll just have to live with that. And Meadows the reverse.

Greene will be fine in the #3 spot, usually reserved for our best hitter. That's Greene.

Tork! in the #4 spot, for now, to challenge him, and to show belief/ confidence in him. We'll see if he can live up to that.

Miggy will get the #5 spot... because. But we can put Carpenter at the DH spot against righties and still slot him here to see how that works out.

Bottom of the order is Schoop, Nevin, and Rogers (for now). Rogers for his defense. Which, if it's not there, he'll get pushed out by Sands (defense first)/ Haase.

Haase can play RF? Or LF only? Either way, he can replace Meadows against occasional lefties if we're looking for more at-bats for him. Or Miggy at DH.