So..........What's your batting lineup for 2023?

My lineup is more based on who will get the most AB's over the season. I have Greene and Baez 1 and 2 because I think they are the two best hitters we have. I am also thinking Miggy plays very little and Badoo beats out Carpenter.

But I expect to be wrong as this is a tough call in January.

Greene CF

Baez. SS

Meadows RF

Haase  C

Maton 3B

Verling LF

Torkelson 1B

Schoop 2B

Badoo DH

Assuming reasonable health and no other significant changes between now and then:

Green will be the CF.  He's earned it.

Baez will be the SS.  He's earned it (over the course of his career).

Meadows will be the RF vs RHPs for sure.  He's earned it (over the course of his career).

Cabrera will be the DH around every other day at minimum when healthy.

Haase will be the primary C.

Everything else is probably up in the air, and lineups will likely be different on a day to day basis.  Certainly there is hope that Torkelson earns 1B out of camp and that they can cobble together a roster that is well rounded and flexible as there are probably going to be many platoons, call ups, send downs, etc.

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

Assuming reasonable health and no other significant changes between now and then:

Green will be the CF.  He's earned it.

Baez will be the SS.  He's earned it (over the course of his career).

Meadows will be the RF vs RHPs for sure.  He's earned it (over the course of his career).

Cabrera will be the DH around every other day at minimum when healthy.

Haase will be the primary C.

Everything else is probably up in the air, and lineups will likely be different on a day to day basis.  Certainly there is hope that Torkelson earns 1B out of camp and that they can cobble together a roster that is well rounded and flexible as there are probably going to be many platoons, call ups, send downs, etc.

My guess is that you can write in Schoop, too, at least to start the season.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

... Haase will be the primary C...

I don't think this is true. I think Haase is the backup catcher UNLESS both Rogers and Sands flop. I think both are better defensive catchers and that will be the priority at that position. Also, unless... Haase ups his game behind the plate and then his chances to be the primary kick up a notch.

But I think the reality will be that Haase platoons in LF some, DH's when Miggy is not healthy, and he will back up catcher.

Just a guess...

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think this is true. I think Haase is the backup catcher UNLESS both Rogers and Sands flop. I think both are better defensive catchers and that will be the priority at that position. Also, unless... Haase ups his game behind the plate and then his chances to be the primary kick up a notch.

But I think the reality will be that Haase platoons in LF some, DH's when Miggy is not healthy, and he will back up catcher.

Just a guess...

Rogers has missed a lot of game time.  He might show well enough in camp, but I’d wait on it.

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think Haase is the backup catche

My guess - Haase is going to get the ABs, and where he plays depends on whether Rogers or Sands hits. If they don't, they will suffer his defense and catch him, if one of the others hits enough to be viable, Haase will get his AB in the OF, but I think he is likely to play regularly one way or the other. Not getting Haase more than 350 AB was one of the more glaring personnel errors last season.

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am more interested in the typical line-up versus RH than the opening day line-up, but either way it's going to change frequently and none of the permutations look good.

I thought bbref had number of different lineups used in a season, but maybe they don't?  It'd be interesting to see what the total was last season and this year will stack up next to it.

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

1 - Matt Vierling, LF

2 - Javier Baez, SS

3 - Riley Greene, CF

4 - Spencer Torkelson, 1B

5 - Miguel Cabrera, DH

6 - Austin Meadows, RF

7 - Jonathan Schoop, 2B

8 - Tyler Nevin, 3B

9 - Jake Rogers, C

That was my against-LH'ers lineup. In the service of active platooning in 2023, my against-RH'ers lineup:

1 - Akil Baddoo, LF

2 - Austin Meadows, RF

3 - Riley Greene, CF

4 - Spencer Torkelson, 1B

5 - Kerry Carpenter, DH

6 - Javier Baez, SS

7 - Eric Haase, C

8 - Nick Maton, 3B

9 - Wenceel Perez, 2B

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: Just a guess... Schoop gets pushed out the door relatively quickly this season...

I think they'll keep him around as a useful utility guy, but really hoping that someone else (Maton, Kreidler, Wenceel) pushes him out of a starting spot before the AS break.

Edited by Tenacious D

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think they'll keep him around as a useful utility guy, but really hoping that someone else (Maton, Kreidler, Wenceel) pushes him out of a starting spot before the AS break.

I don't see them keeping him around beyond the trade deadline, and maybe a trade even prior to that...

Just guessing...