2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

Some random numbers with one week to go before pitchers and catchers report:

1934 – 1st year the Tigers played in Lakeland

.441 – Hinch’s 2 year winning percentage with the Tigers

.632 - the 2022 Tigers had a .632 OPS, the worst team mark in 120 years

37% - Tigers finished last in team HRs, and lost players who accounted for 37% of total

0 – number of major league free agents Harris signed to help the offense

$17,000,000.00  - the 2023 Tigers are on pace to have a payroll $17M less than 2022

$40,000,000.00 – Tigers owe Miggy $32M for 2023 + $8M buyout for 2024

2023 – early prediction for 2023 team MVP: Regressionto Themean (IF/OF)

• Confused 1

I've said it a few times, but regarding the stat above on major league free agents signed to help the offense, one way to look at it going into 2023 is that Austin Meadows and Jake Rogers both effectively are like free agent acquisitions for this team going into 2023 given that they either didn't play or barely played at all in 2022.

How good of a performance they provide remains to be seen, but one imagines that both will produce more this year than in 2022.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I've said it a few times, but regarding the stat above on major league free agents signed to help the offense, one way to look at it going into 2023 is that Austin Meadows and Jake Rogers both effectively are like free agent acquisitions for this team going into 2023 given that they either didn't play or barely played at all in 2022.

How good of a performance they provide remains to be seen, but one imagines that both will produce more this year than in 2022.

I'm taking Kerry Carpenter as my dark horse impact player. Guy's been underestimated/ignored at every level but just goes out and gets it done.

It's a long list of broken Tigers that are coming back from injury or need to have their bat/ approach fixed:

Meadows

Rogers

Turnbull

Mize (2024)

Faedo

Skubal (s/b 2023 mid-season?)

Kreidler (partial)

Eduardo (partial)

Greene (partial)

Baddoo (broken bat)

Torkelson (broken bat)

Baez (partial broken bat)

Schoop (broken bat). 

I'm sure there are several others I haven't mentioned.

Of all of these candidates, I think only Baez and Schoop are actual regression to the mean candidates. All the others are recoveries from lost time or, too new to the league to actually have an established mean (Baddoo/ Tork). That's why I would call this the Year of Fixing Broken Players. As for Baez, I think he already healed himself the second half of last season, to a degree... and I think the emphasis on approach by the new regime will also help him. So I expect some significant improvement on his part. Schoop I think can regress to the mean both at bat (getting better) and in the field (getting worse)... and he's both getting too old for where this team is at, and is at the end of his contract so I don't really care much about him as a player for the Tigers. Not in a mean way, I'm just ready to move on. Same with Miggy... who has no mean left to regress to. He's just playing out the last year of his career... whatever that amounts to. Probably not a whole lot.

And there is also a long list of newbies too new to actually know what their mean is... and I would rather liken them to growth curve newbies trying to establish their mean level... I think Greene can get substantially better and establish a high-level mean, as can Tork! Not certain about other guys like Kreidler/ Baddoo/ Wentz/ Brieske/ Lange/ can amount to. Or how much growth they have left. Haase I think, he is what he has shown himself to be. So no learning curve from him. He has already established, and performed to his mean. Is that the same with Maton & Vierling? Have they shown/ performed exactly who they are at this point...?

The Learning Curve Growth Candidates (a mean not yet established) to me are:

Greene

Tork!

Manning (How much better can he get? Can he get better? Has he established his mean or is there still room for growth?)

Kreidler

Baddoo

Carpenter

Wentz

Brieske

Lange (maybe a little bit?)

Donny Sands (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Wenceel Perez (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Justyn-Henry Malloy (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Tyler Nevin (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Reese Olson (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

I don't even want to get into the bullpen, that will be crazy. Except for Lange and only in the sense that I don't know if he has still some room to grow, or not.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I had to serve early detention once; worse than after school.

I don't even remember.

I think I had to go to the principal's office about a dozen times in 3rd or 4th grade because I was raising hell... And my grades were dropping...

St. Suzanne's Catholic School just down the road from Cody High...

The nuns cured me of my desire (and dad too... yeeks!!!) to visit the principal's office right quickly after that spell and my grades went right back up... commensurately.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I had to serve early detention once; worse than after school.

got nailed once in about 4th or 5th grade. A huge windstorm had hit the neighborhood and ripped shingles off all the roofs around the school and the pieces were all over the school playground. So at lunch/recess kids started frisbee-ing them around at each other and some of us thought we were likely to get killed. So a couple buds and I started collected them and taking them off the field. Of course what do we know about dumpsters at that age(which were probably locked anyway)? So we found an out of the way niche around the side of building to stash them. The bidie of an art teacher whose room windows overlooked the area turned us in. We got no hearing that we were removing the stuff from the field. Probably turned me into a bomb throwing LE sceptic on that very day.....

💣🥷

Edited by gehringer_2

On 2/8/2023 at 11:46 AM, 1984Echoes said:

It's a long list of broken Tigers that are coming back from injury or need to have their bat/ approach fixed:

Meadows

Rogers

Turnbull

Mize (2024)

Faedo

Skubal (s/b 2023 mid-season?)

Kreidler (partial)

Eduardo (partial)

Greene (partial)

Baddoo (broken bat)

Torkelson (broken bat)

Baez (partial broken bat)

Schoop (broken bat). 

I'm sure there are several others I haven't mentioned.

Of all of these candidates, I think only Baez and Schoop are actual regression to the mean candidates. All the others are recoveries from lost time or, too new to the league to actually have an established mean (Baddoo/ Tork). That's why I would call this the Year of Fixing Broken Players. As for Baez, I think he already healed himself the second half of last season, to a degree... and I think the emphasis on approach by the new regime will also help him. So I expect some significant improvement on his part. Schoop I think can regress to the mean both at bat (getting better) and in the field (getting worse)... and he's both getting too old for where this team is at, and is at the end of his contract so I don't really care much about him as a player for the Tigers. Not in a mean way, I'm just ready to move on. Same with Miggy... who has no mean left to regress to. He's just playing out the last year of his career... whatever that amounts to. Probably not a whole lot.

And there is also a long list of newbies too new to actually know what their mean is... and I would rather liken them to growth curve newbies trying to establish their mean level... I think Greene can get substantially better and establish a high-level mean, as can Tork! Not certain about other guys like Kreidler/ Baddoo/ Wentz/ Brieske/ Lange/ can amount to. Or how much growth they have left. Haase I think, he is what he has shown himself to be. So no learning curve from him. He has already established, and performed to his mean. Is that the same with Maton & Vierling? Have they shown/ performed exactly who they are at this point...?

The Learning Curve Growth Candidates (a mean not yet established) to me are:

Greene

Tork!

Manning (How much better can he get? Can he get better? Has he established his mean or is there still room for growth?)

Kreidler

Baddoo

Carpenter

Wentz

Brieske

Lange (maybe a little bit?)

Donny Sands (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Wenceel Perez (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Justyn-Henry Malloy (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Tyler Nevin (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

Reese Olson (whatever MLB time he's able to earn this year)

I don't even want to get into the bullpen, that will be crazy. Except for Lange and only in the sense that I don't know if he has still some room to grow, or not.

Good points, mediums to play out to, many players looked at (minus the bully).

Nice post !

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Good move as in 'nothing' to lose. Amazing - how every year there are several MLB players that have to go to camp on MiLB contracts (at least to start).

I actually think there 'may' be 1-2 more of these in the next 10 days or so as a few players will be scrambling to get to camp. Perhaps the Tigs may be a 'choice' now.