2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Could Mize make it back at some point this season?  While I wouldn't count on much productivity, it would be nice to get him pitching and shaking off the rust so he's ready to go to start 2024.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Per Beck on twitter...Mize had back surgery as well as TJ.  Not counting on anything from him

Are you doing some evil tag team routine here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But really, it's the pitching.    You know Manning is going down to injury. 

In McCosky's column about Faedo the boy says right out he believes that his TJ was the result of the Tigers asking him to change his delivery from one that didn't hurt to one that did. He's gone back to his old one with the blessing of the new bio-mechanics regime.

EDIt; Chasfh quotes an Atheltic story up thread that covers similar ground.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In McCosky's column about Faedo the boy says right out he believes that his TJ was the result of the Tigers asking him to change his delivery from one that didn't hurt to one that did. He's gone back to his old one with the blessing of the new bio-mechanics regime.

EDIt; Chasfh quotes an Atheltic story up thread that covers similar ground.

I recall hearing JV not directly complain about the Tigers health staff.... just that he went his own way on treatment after his issues in 2014/2015.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers signed Jace Fry to a minor league contract. They now have two Jaces in the organization.   

First time I heard the name was when my childhood friend named his son that in 2005. He sent me a text when he was born with the name and I responded with something like "is that Jake with a C or did you just mistype?" He smartened me up that it rhymes with pace. Now I see that name everywhere. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I know this is not of interest to maybe most of you, but Topps just released their 2023 cards.  Best design they have had in years. Also a rarity—a smiling picture of Eduardo Rodriguez in a Tigers uniform,

4B96D6AC-1CC5-484B-BDEC-B72DE5EF3882.png

26A27E1A-9A36-4263-B19D-72CF0DDA9B31.png

96E4A05F-D96F-4BFF-A4E3-2B0344CB74C6.png

2B4DDF5A-5D42-4416-81E6-99454BE01078.png

67DDCE56-BE19-4CD1-AEB7-1ECED7CC89C3.png

I haven't really collected cards since I was a kid, but that is a pretty good design.  I like to buy a pack every year or two just for old times sake and most of the recent designs have been awful.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

First time I heard the name was when my childhood friend named his son that in 2005. He sent me a text when he was born with the name and I responded with something like "is that Jake with a C or did you just mistype?" He smartened me up that it rhymes with pace. Now I see that name everywhere. 

I don't remember seeing it before Jace Jung.

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

With the puff pieces, spring is right around the corner!

I think he’s going to rebound well.  He’ll be ready for the WBC.  He may be streaky, but we know he’ll be ready to go for Opening Day.  Plus, like it or not, he can play his way out of Detroit.  It’s not a good middle infield free agency pool after 2023.  Even though he’s got 4/$100M awaiting him, he might be able to scratch out an extra season and/or higher average annual salary.

7 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Per Beck on twitter...Mize had back surgery as well as TJ.  Not counting on anything from him

I wonder if back discomfort was part of the reason his velo seems to be dropping even before the forearm failed.

After TJ a guy may be throwing in a year, but 18mo isn't unusual to get reasonable command back. Maybe he'll be lucky.

Edited by gehringer_2

Will Smith is as decent a flyer to take as anyone. He’s been bubbling around league average for the last three or so year so I wouldn’t expect much from him, but another LHP out of the pen can’t hurt. Sure, he’s not the future, but we gotta put big league pitchers on the field today while we’re waiting.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Will Smith is as decent a flyer to take as anyone. He’s been bubbling around league average for the last three or so year so I wouldn’t expect much from him, but another LHP out of the pen can’t hurt. Sure, he’s not the future, but we gotta put big league pitchers on the field today while we’re waiting.

League average is a potential all-star representative for the Tigers.  

• Haha 1