2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

I don't believe that Miggy deserves scorn for the situation the Tigers are in, after all this comes down to a contract that the team offered him eight years ago and which he accepted.

On the other hand, performance and merit still does matter. Miggy will gets his ABs, especially early.... but if we get a version of second half Miguel in 2023, he oughtta be given more limited ABs in favor of younger players. Which, again, fits right in with the PBO's stated comments that ABs for younger players being a valuable commodity.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

If nothing else, Miggy gives this team a veteran presence, which this team doesn't have much of right now. He's not going to get many ABs in the first place, so the idea of him "taking crucial ABs away from younger guys" is a silly argument to me. 

In a year in which we are projected about 100 losses, Miggy should be the least of our concerns. Arguably it's the perfect year for the "farewell tour". He more than deserves it. 

This is his last year. This is it...  Let's enjoy him fam. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I don't believe that Miggy deserves scorn for the situation the Tigers are in, after all this comes down to a contract that the team offered him eight years ago and which he accepted.

On the other hand, performance and merit still does matter. Miggy will gets his ABs, especially early.... but if we get a version of second half Miguel in 2023, he oughtta be given more limited ABs in favor of younger players. Which, again, fits right in with the PBO's stated comments that ABs for younger players being a valuable commodity.

It depends on how the team does - I see 3 outcomes: If some of these lottery tickets hit and they are competitive, and he ends up at 500 OPS again, he's going to need to take a 60day DL and give the team a chance to do something. If, as is more likely, the team is non-competitive, then if he gets 250-300 poor AB it won't be the end of the world. And of course even more remotely possible than the 1st outcome is that he stays healthy, in which case he could possibly be productive playing around half-time.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

While I agree he doesn’t deserve scorn, he does deserve to take responsibility for not living up to the performance his salary suggests he should deliver. Yes, Papa Doc proactively offered him the money. And then Miggy took it. So he is a party to it. I think his hearing people whine about how he’s not earning his salary is a small price for him to pay to cash those checks.

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

While I agree he doesn’t deserve scorn, he does deserve to take responsibility for not living up to the performance his salary suggests he should deliver. Yes, Papa Doc proactively offered him the money. And then Miggy took it. So he is a party to it. I think his hearing people whine about how he’s not earning his salary is a small price for him to pay to cash those checks.

Its not necessarily the performance, but the lack of being in position to perform.  He's paid to be a professional athlete.  He looks like a DH in a beer softball league.  Maybe he could get away with that physique at 30, but certainly not 40.

18 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

If he had worked harder at 30...he probably wouldn't look like that today.  It seems like he didn't take conditioning and training seriously until he started having health issues

He worked out like a mad man in his 20’s.  Unfortunately, it was all 12oz curls.  

3 hours ago, MotorCityAlex said:

If nothing else, Miggy gives this team a veteran presence, which this team doesn't have much of right now. He's not going to get many ABs in the first place, so the idea of him "taking crucial ABs away from younger guys" is a silly argument to me. 

In a year in which we are projected about 100 losses, Miggy should be the least of our concerns. Arguably it's the perfect year for the "farewell tour". He more than deserves it. 

This is his last year. This is it...  Let's enjoy him fam. 

It seems like his farewell tour has already lasted 6 years.  

• Haha 1

According to bref we have paid Miggy 360 million dollars over his career and he has given us 49.5 wins. So despite us getting him at a "bargain" for several early seasons when it's all said and done we have paid close to free agent market value per win with him. Never would've thought that be possible back in the good old days. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

It seems like his farewell tour has already lasted 6 years.  

I understand that. All I'm trying to say is that being super concerned about still rostering Miggy at this point doesn't make much sense. He's not going to take crucial ABs away from anybody. You're not going to DFA one of the greatest Tigers of all time. So what's the point?

If we were contending, I'd be a lot more concerned. But as we all know, we're not sniffing contention. 

16 minutes ago, MotorCityAlex said:

I understand that. All I'm trying to say is that being super concerned about still rostering Miggy at this point doesn't make much sense. He's not going to take crucial ABs away from anybody. You're not going to DFA one of the greatest Tigers of all time. So what's the point?

If we were contending, I'd be a lot more concerned. But as we all know, we're not sniffing contention. 

No, they aren't going to DFA him.  If anything they will play him too much.  I am not "super concerned", but my preference is that they give more at bats to players who migjht be able to help when they do have a good team.  

• Like 1

His performance has nothing to do with his weight—his legs are irreparably damaged.  His physical downward spiral began when he hurt his core trying to separate Fielder and Garcia.  He’s basically the team mascot now and the only reason for some casual fans to attend a game.  I’m glad he’s on the team and will enjoy the sunset of his career.  I hope for his sake he can make a few memories along the way.

Quick, Thelma—please name one Tiger on the 2023 squad besides Miguel Cabrera?

Thelma: “Ummm….”

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

His performance has nothing to do with his weight—his legs are irreparably damaged.  His physical downward spiral began when he hurt his core trying to separate Fielder and Garcia.  He’s basically the team mascot now and the only reason for some casual fans to attend a game.  I’m glad he’s on the team and will enjoy the sunset of his career.  I hope for his sake he can make a few memories along the way.

Quick, Thelma—please name one Tiger on the 2023 squad besides Miguel Cabrera?

Thelma: “Ummm….”

The right knee is the primary issue - it's probably why he can't do aerobic work either other than maybe swimming. One the rare occasions last season when he could drive off it, he could still hit some. The rest of the time he's hitting purely from the waist up. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

No, they aren't going to DFA him.  If anything they will play him too much.  I am not "super concerned", but my preference is that they give more at bats to players who migjht be able to help when they do have a good team.  

Exactly, That was the same excuse we just heard as to why we didn't sign any salty vets this offseason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As much as the fanbase treats Pizza Jr. like a Scooby Doo villian, it's not clear that the players feel the same way.... 

I think the improvements are fantastic. This is the kind of thing that plays very well in the player community and will help make Detroit a more attractive option for players who are moving on, and if we want to move into the elite level of teams, we have to become an organization that top players want to come play for. No winner can build entirely from within. 

Baby Doc has moved up a notch in my estimation. 

Edited by chasfh

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I think the improvements are fantastic. This is the kind of thing that plays very well in the player community and will help make Detroit a more attractive option for players who are moving on, and if we want to move into the elite level of teams, we have to become an organization that top players want to come play for. No winner can build entirely from within. 

Baby Doc has moved up a notch in my estimation. 

I’m pretty sure these are all contingent on him getting the green light on that $800M taxpayer handout to build District Detroit for real this time.  I figure he’ll build one building and pocket the rest to pay for stuff exactly like a new team plane and clubhouse rehab.  No way he’s paying for this by himself.   

32 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m pretty sure these are all contingent on him getting the green light on that $800M taxpayer handout to build District Detroit for real this time.  I figure he’ll build one building and pocket the rest to pay for stuff exactly like a new team plane and clubhouse rehab.  No way he’s paying for this by himself.   

I'm assessing this only in terms of what he is delivering to the players, assuming he will actually deliver it, and the effect it may have on the view of players around the league about the Tigers organization.