2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hernandez is not part of the Tiger future. If they give him one AB that would be better to be given to anyone under 25 that is total mistake. They don't have the luxury of giving 10 seconds of concern about the risk of losing CH. He should only play if in the end none of the youngs manage to put up any reasonable challenge.

Thats how I feel.   Lipcius is very interesting.  His OBP last year looked great, but does it translate to the majors?   Only one way to know.   I think RK needs more time.   He fell so fast last year, you wonder if it's still the injury.  

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But honestly, losing Nevin or Cesar really doesn't move the needle much, does it?   Dime-A-Dozen guys.    Might be better to get a good long look at Kreidler or Andre to see what they have for the future,  unless they feel that would be overmatched in real game situations.      Nevin and Cesar feel more like seat-fillers.      Nevin's olbique injury certainly changes a few things.   Those can take awhile.  

I do not see why Nevin is a 'seat-filler' and Kreidler may be more the furure? They are both apx the same age. Nevin had a higher pedigree when drafted (former no. 1 and NOT by the Tigers). IMHO, Kreidler has to hit 'some'. Yes, he has a lot of defensive talent and seems to have a high BB IQ - but he will still have to hit some.

Maybe a couple hundred ABs and playing everyday at AAA can help Ryan. I would like to see him hit .260 or so there really.

Cesar has ability, has done this for a long time and is not 'over the hill yet' - again just IMHO. He may be getting closer to that point, however...

Depth is soooo under rated and maybe playing constant youngsters PT in the big leagues may not always be the best thing. Yes, we want to draft & develop young players - yet, as far as the MLB team, because of injuries most all in camp no doubt will get chances at both AAA and MLB.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But honestly, losing Nevin or Cesar really doesn't move the needle much, does it?   Dime-A-Dozen guys.   

Again, that's how we feel.... that may not be how Harris feels. 

Nevin is also a young guy in his own right, similar age to Kreidler and, honestly, his hit tool is probably better.

20 minutes ago, alex said:

I do not see why Nevin is a 'seat-filler' and Kreidler may be more the furure? They are both apx the same age. Nevin had a higher pedigree when drafted (former no. 1 and NOT by the Tigers). IMHO, Kreidler has to hit 'some'. Yes, he has a lot of defensive talent and seems to have a high BB IQ - but he will still have to hit some.

Maybe a couple hundred ABs and playing everyday at AAA can help Ryan. I would like to see him hit .260 or so there really.

Cesar has ability, has done this for a long time and is not 'over the hill yet' - again just IMHO. He may be getting closer to that point, however...

Depth is soooo under rated and maybe playing constant youngsters PT in the big leagues may not always be the best thing. Yes, we want to draft & develop young players - yet, as far as the MLB team, because of injuries most all in camp no doubt will get chances at both AAA and MLB.

First bolded point is spot on: I don't think Kreidler should be in the big leagues right now.... especially coming off the hand injury last year, he seems like a guy who needs playing time and he's not going to get it to a large enough degree in Detroit to warrant him having a 26 man roster spot.

Second bolded point cannot be emphasized enough.... after living through 2022, you would think people wouldn't necessarily look at depth players as "dime a dozen"

Edited by mtutiger

22 minutes ago, alex said:

I do not see why Nevin is a 'seat-filler' and Kreidler may be more the furure? They are both apx the same age. Nevin had a higher pedigree when drafted (former no. 1 and NOT by the Tigers).

Regarding this point, Nevin gets dinged in part because of how he was acquired (Trade following DFA) and because he's been in the minors for longer (similar to how people were writing off Parker Meadows and Wenceel Perez until recently)...

I tend to agree with you, I don't think Harris trades for him following a DFA (even if he didn't give up a ton) if he didn't think he provided some value.

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Again, that's how we feel.... that may not be how Harris feels. 

Nevin is also a young guy in his own right, similar age to Kreidler and, honestly, his hit tool is probably better.

The key for Nevin is his power potential. They'll find him PA if turns out he can put the ball in the seats as well they are hoping.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Even if he does garner a turnaround...

I think it's unlikely he is with the Tigers beyond the trade deadline.

I think that's probably true.  He'll either be released or traded before the end of the season.

But it does kind of beg the question, what if he has a good season and doesn't get traded (for whatever reason)?  Do the Tigers still release him or do they keep him to finish out the season?

32 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think that's probably true.  He'll either be released or traded before the end of the season.

But it does kind of beg the question, what if he has a good season and doesn't get traded (for whatever reason)?  Do the Tigers still release him or do they keep him to finish out the season?

He's a FA after the season.

He's gone (for next year purposes)...

unless there's a decision to offer another contract in the offseason...

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This is definitely Jonathan Schoop's last year with the Tigers, and unless he has a near-All Star season, I would bet he goes in July for someone deep in someone else's system who is on nobody's radar but Scott Harris's.

He would be fortunate to get anything for him.

29 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Has Jake Rogers every played 1st?  I'm still worried about Tork and I'm just wondering if Rogers keeps hitting as well as he has this spring... do you put him at first when Hasse is catching?

Rogers is not the guy I'd want at first.

I'd be looking more at guys like Nevin, Maton, Vierling, etc...

40 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Has Jake Rogers every played 1st?  I'm still worried about Tork and I'm just wondering if Rogers keeps hitting as well as he has this spring... do you put him at first when Hasse is catching?

So were gonna take a guy with a track record of hitting at every level and replace him with a guy who was a weaker hitter at every level?

People really need to cool it on Tork. We'll see what he does, but let's not panic and let's not replace him with light hitters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

In this scenario, you put Rogers at C and Haase elsewhere.

However, I reluctantly agree with KL2 that we shouldn’t be panicking with Tork yet.

Though I am ready to move on from Baddoo—OK with him toiling in Toledo, but don’t want to count on him for anything meaningful this season.

Very little reluctance on my end in saying that I'm less worried about Tork than I was coming into Spring Training. He got off to a slow start but his mechanics are clearly better than they were last season. And he's stinging fastballs in a way that he wasn't before as well

I asked ChatGTP to explain why Parker Meadows should start for the Tigers in the style of John Steinbeck:

In the dusty fields of Tiger Stadium, there was a young ballplayer named Parker Meadows. He was a fresh face on the team, a glimmer of hope for a city longing for a championship. Parker had the talent, the speed, and the power to change the course of a game, but he was still untested, unknown to many.

Yet, in the quiet of the dugout, Parker's determination burned like the hot sun over the diamond. He knew he had what it takes to start for the Tigers, to show the world what he could do. He had spent long hours practicing his swings, running the bases, and studying the game, and he was ready to take the field.

But there were those who doubted him, who saw him as just another rookie, another player trying to make it in the big leagues. They whispered behind his back, questioning his abilities, his experience, his age. They said he wasn't ready, that he needed more time in the minors, that he was too young to handle the pressure.

Parker heard the doubts, but he refused to let them get to him. He knew he had the heart of a lion, the spirit of a winner, and the courage to face any challenge. He knew that starting for the Tigers was not just a dream, but a destiny waiting to be fulfilled.

So, with a steady hand and a determined step, Parker Meadows took the field. He felt the roar of the crowd, the thrill of the game, and the weight of the responsibility on his shoulders. But he did not falter. He stood tall, focused, and ready.

And as the first pitch came hurling towards him, Parker Meadows swung with all his might. The crack of the bat echoed across the stadium as the ball soared over the fence, a home run for the Tigers. The crowd erupted in cheers, the players rushed to congratulate him, and Parker knew that he had proved his doubters wrong.

For in the dusty fields of Tiger Stadium, Parker Meadows had shown that he was not just a rookie, but a star in the making. He had earned his place on the team, and he was ready to lead them to victory. And with each game, each swing, each moment on the field, Parker Meadows would show the world why he deserved to start for the Tigers.

Regenerate response

Regenerate response
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I asked ChatGTP to explain why Parker Meadows should start for the Tigers in the style of John Steinbeck:

Regenerate response

Regenerate response

Either he's a time traveller going back to Tiger Stadium or he's so good, Comerica dollars be damned.