2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For sure they don't much like Carpenter in the OF.  I could see them being perfectly happy to let him marinate in Toledo to verify the HR pop is still there, waiting to call him up to the DH spot when Cabrera inevitably goes to the DL.

Hmmm......  You know, it might be just as simple as that.  There's one spot available for a nondefense hitter.  If Cabrera is not on the injured list, Carpenter is in Toledo.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

True, they did not make a single MLB starting bat acquisition. Now I suppose you can read that as meaning that Harris is more optimistic about the talent Avila left him (e.g. Green, Torkelson, Meadows(s)) than we are. Or that's he's writing off 2023. The latter take being the more widespread reading.

I agree with your points here, and I also read it as players who have a choice simply did not want to come to Detroit. The reputation we had under Avila was terrible, and Harris was/is an unknown quantity. Pus, everyone expects the team to lose 100 games this year, including many fans who believe in the Scott Harris hiring, and no player who has a choice wants to rush into that.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So far Vierling hasn't really proven (in limited sample size) he's much better than Victor Reyes.  Hopefully he changes that this year.   Just one of those guys where it looks like everything's there, but he needs to put it all together.   Hopefully our coaches unlock him and several others. 

Ain't a lot of position players on the 40 that have proven much more than each other.  And there are a lot of puzzle pieces to sort through, some of whom which have minor league options which will factor into the decisions as tiebreakers or maybe more than that.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This all can be true simultaneously with the idea that they aren't likely to carry both Carpenter and Baddoo out of camp.

I just don't think it's stricty a position battle.  I believe that if they think Baddoo and Carpenter will contribute offensively, they will keep them both.  I don't think They will drop one of them just because they need a back-up first baseman.  However, if one or both doesn't look like a contributor, they may go for more flexibility.  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I just don't think it's stricty a position battle.  I believe that if they think Baddoo and Carpenter will contribute offensively, they will keep them both.  I don't think They will drop one of them just because they need a back-up first baseman.  However, if one or both doesn't look like a contributor, they may go for more flexibility.  

That's fine.... but I don't think either Carpenter or Baddoo are good enough offensively to carry both of them. And I don't believe the organization thinks they are either.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

i'd like to see which week of ST some of these stats come from..... if alot of the difference comes from pitchers adjusting from the pitch clock the first couple of weeks or  is it a consistent rate for the whole spring

Edited by Toddwert

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

i'd like to see which week of ST some of these stats come from..... if alot of the difference comes from pitchers adjusting from the pitch clock the first couple of weeks or  is it a consistent rate for the whole spring

You know, there are a couple of other variables that need to be considered.  The shortened spring training last season and the WBC this season.  Maybe they factor in, maybe they don’t, I’m not sure.  But I would guess the former to some extent.

There are definitely many variables to be considered, but I would expect more stolen bases this year with the larger bases and pickoff rule change.  64% seems like a lot, but it would be pretty cool if it happens.  I think there needs to be more action in the game.    

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There are definitely many variables to be considered, but I would expect more stolen bases this year with the larger bases and pickoff rule change.  64% seems like a lot, but it would be pretty cool if it happens.  I think there needs to be more action in the game.    

More hit and runs too maybe with no shift?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There absolutely needs to be more action and/or a quicker flow to the game.

I don’t like the shift rules.  I think teams should be allowed to place the 7 non battery defenders wherever they so choose.  But I understand the intent behind it.

The pitch clock was needed, although I wonder if it might become a detriment in late & high leverage situations.  I’d hate to see an otherwise clean playoff game come down to a 9th inning clock violation.

I didn’t think the bigger bases would lead to more base running.  It’s only a few inches.  I would like to know what players/coaches think about it.  Is the increased action due to the bigger bases or are there other variables more at play here?  What do I know, the increase might be mostly due to bigger bases.  It just doesn’t seem likely to me.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

There absolutely needs to be more action and/or a quicker flow to the game.

I don’t like the shift rules.  I think teams should be allowed to place the 7 non battery defenders wherever they so choose.  But I understand the intent behind it.

The pitch clock was needed, although I wonder if it might become a detriment in late & high leverage situations.  I’d hate to see an otherwise clean playoff game come down to a 9th inning clock violation.

I didn’t think the bigger bases would lead to more base running.  It’s only a few inches.  I would like to know what players/coaches think about it.  Is the increased action due to the bigger bases or are there other variables more at play here?  What do I know, the increase might be mostly due to bigger bases.  It just doesn’t seem likely to me.

There's also the new pickoff rule.  I am also skeptical about the Spring increase, but baseball has always been a game of inches.  Sometimes small changes can have big effects.  

It doesn't happen often in the draft due to a lack of information, but the Jobe pick was an instance where it would have been better if the Tigers fanbase chose the #3 pick instead of the Tigers GM and amateur scouts.  It was an obviously wrong pick at the time and it has gotten even worse since then.

Edited by Scottwood