2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

They've said nothing informative about what the injury is. 'Discomfort' could be anything, muscle tear, hairline fracture of one of the bony processes, damage to a lamella, nerve pinch, you name it, and the recovery prognosis could be anywhere from 100% with no after-effects to the prospect of a continuing chronic condition and predisposition to re-injury.  

Kinda to my point as well.... there seems to be more certitude about Jobe's injury/prognosis than warrants based on the information we actually have.

People are gonna do what they are gonna do, but there isn't any harm in keeping one's powder dry until more information becomes available.

15 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It takes a bit of the sting about the way UVa threw away their game against Furman. The late pass attempt was certainly Weberesque 

I wonder if he thought he had a better opportunity of getting that pass to a teammate than happened and/or if he thought enough time had drained off of the clock to where even if the pass was picked off, there's not enough time to return a shot attempt the other.  I guess either way, holding the ball and forcing Furman to foul was the better option to take.

Purdue and Virginia may have the egg on their faces as 1 seeds losing to 16 seeds, but Virginia did come back the next season to win the championship.  Maybe that's the angle Painter & Purdue need to take?

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

I wonder if he thought he had a better opportunity of getting that pass to a teammate than happened and/or if he thought enough time had drained off of the clock to where even if the pass was picked off, there's not enough time to return a shot attempt the other.  I guess either way, holding the ball and forcing Furman to foul was the better option to take.

Purdue and Virginia may have the egg on their faces as 1 seeds losing to 16 seeds, but Virginia did come back the next season to win the championship.  Maybe that's the angle Painter & Purdue need to take?

The fact that there's an established pattern of Purdue playing down to sub-13 seed competition in the First Round suggests that angle may be easier said than done.

27 minutes ago, casimir said:

UVA still had a timeout. That should have been the first option. You have no clue what was going on in the panic of the moment by this kid. 

They also just blew a 12 point lead…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

UVA still had a timeout. That should have been the first option. You have no clue what was going on in the panic of the moment by this kid. 

They also just blew a 12 point lead…

They did?  I missed that, maybe it was brought up afterwards, but I had flipped to another game by then.

Edit to add:  You’re absolutely right, I have no idea what’s going on in the mind of these kids.  In fairness to him, I’m not trying to kick the kid.  I’m sure he feels awful about that play, and he certainly has forgotten more basketball than I’ll ever know.  I just genuinely want to know how he saw the play.

Edited by casimir

While we're on or not on the subject, as the case may be, I simply don't see what anyone sees in Beau Brieske. The guy has, hands down, the worst stuff of any pitcher who appeared in the big leagues last season. The guy is getting crushed this spring. Shit, man, he's getting crushed by Cardinal AAAA players right now. The guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere in Comerica Park without buying a ticket.

I get it—the team needs to run him out there this spring and hope he can be at least passably decent in order to package him in a trade and get something anything out of the guy. But that's a defensible business imperative. I don't get why anyone would put any actual faith in this guy to be part of the next contending Tigers team. If anyone on the team is going to get written off, as we've been discussing, it should be this guy.

Edited by chasfh

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

While we're on or not on the subject, as the case may be, I simply don't see what anyone sees in Beau Brieske. The guy has, hands down, the worst stuff of any pitcher who appeared in the big leagues last season. The guy is getting crushed this spring. Shit, man, he's getting crushed by the Cardinal AAAA players right now. The guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere in Comerica Park without buying a ticket.

I get it—the team needs him to run him out there so he can be at least passably decent in order to package him in a trade and get something anything out of him. But I don't get why anyone would put any faith in this guy to be part of the next contending Tigers team. If anyone on the team is going to get written off, as we've been discussing, it should be this guy.

He's the current version of Buck Farmer. A guy who never pitches quite as well as his arm entices you to believe he should. He's still on the young side so they'll keep giving him chances to improve the stuff to the level of the arm - if he's at AAA that's painless enough.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He's the current version of Buck Farmer. A guy who never pitches quite as well as his arm entices you to believe he should. He's still on the young side so they'll keep giving him chances to improve the stuff to the level of the arm - if he's at AAA that's painless enough.

If he must stay with the organization, remaining at Toledo as an organizational soldier for the rest of his career would be fine with me. I would prefer we fob him off on a less savvy organization like the Angels or Rockies or Rangers or, maybe for old time's sake, Pirates, in exchange for something we can work with.

I’m not Brieske’s biggest fan, but he was unfairly rushed to the majors last season out of desperation. He really should be in Toledo this season, which is likely.  I’d like him stretched out as a starter in the event of an injury.  Not sure if he’s our next Kevin Ritz, but organizations need depth to log innings at every level.  Hopefully he can get Fetterized and unlock some more potential.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

So if I had to guess today - Torkelson is looking promising, Greene will be fine, Maton looks solid, Jake and Haase appear on track, Javy performed to his normal level at WBC. The other 4 lineup spots still looking pretty sketch to me.

Vierling hasn't played much, but I tend to believe him+Carpenter/Baddoo will be respectable enough. At least offensively, they badly need Meadows to show signs of his old self, but still some reason to have faith.

No argument on 2B and DH.

Agree that 2B, if Schoop, and DH will underwhelm this season.

2024 will be interesting as we will need to address those, as well as probably one OF spot.  Assume upgrades at each, along with healthy returns by Mize and Skubal, and we might be able to accelerate our race to mediocrity.

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree that 2B, if Schoop, and DH will underwhelm this season.

I think they they are set up pull the trigger on Schoop pretty quickly if he  doesn't hit. Between Palacios, Lipcius and Kreidler as options I don't think we are going to have to live through Schoop 2022 V2.0.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think they they are set up pull the trigger on Schoop pretty quickly if he  doesn't hit. Between Palacios, Lipcius and Kreidler as options I don't think we are going to have to live through Schoop 2022 V2.0.

Unless those three combine to be Schoop 2022 v3.0!

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Vierling hasn't played much, but I tend to believe him+Carpenter/Baddoo will be respectable enough. At least offensively, they badly need Meadows to show signs of his old self, but still some reason to have faith.

No argument on 2B and DH.

I think you can be a decently productive offense with 2 week slots in the batting order, but that's about it. And of course no team has any good excuse for one of those spots to be at DH.

In the Tigers case they have $40M excuses, but they still don't add up to a good excuse.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:44 PM, chasfh said:

While we're on or not on the subject, as the case may be, I simply don't see what anyone sees in Beau Brieske. The guy has, hands down, the worst stuff of any pitcher who appeared in the big leagues last season. The guy is getting crushed this spring. Shit, man, he's getting crushed by Cardinal AAAA players right now. The guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere in Comerica Park without buying a ticket.

I get it—the team needs to run him out there this spring and hope he can be at least passably decent in order to package him in a trade and get something anything out of the guy. But that's a defensible business imperative. I don't get why anyone would put any actual faith in this guy to be part of the next contending Tigers team. If anyone on the team is going to get written off, as we've been discussing, it should be this guy.

From Eno Sarris:

Beau Briske, Tigers

Owner of the second-highest velocity jump in spring training so far, Beau Briske also has the fewest pitches per appearance in this sample. So maybe take his jump in fastball Stuff+ — from 96 Stuff+ last year to 121 this spring — with a grain of salt. Maybe he’ll drop more than five points if the Tigers push his pitches per appearance.

Or maybe, even though we were looking for starting pitchers here, we’ve found a sleeper in the Tigers’ pen. In his last outing, Brieske threw 10 fastballs and had a Stuff+ over 140 on them. He’s alternated being better with the changeup and slider, but overall, both look like real weapons, too.

The Tigers are going to need someone to step up behind Alex Lange in the bullpen, and they might have their Beau.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Boy, wouldn’t that be a testament to the power of a full organizational commitment to modernization.

And the thing is, transitions like that can take time to bear out even once you have the mechanics part down. If a guy has always thrown a flat FB, he had to learn to keep it down in the zone. If he learns to get high backspin in it, he has to learn to throw it up in the zone as a backspin FB thrown at the bottom of the zone is often a serious mistake. So all that muscle/perceptual muscle trained to throw that FB low has be retrained to throw it up.

Edited by gehringer_2