2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

It's fine not to expect much from Jobe going forward - really there's a large variance in results that happens with MLB Draft picks and it's probably best not to have too high of expectations anyway, particular when Avila was picking them - but wholesale writing him off seems premature at this point. And at some level shows a lack of faith in the new people the org brought in after Avila was fired.

Edited by mtutiger

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's fine not to expect much from Jobe going forward - really there's a large variance in results that happens with MLB Draft picks and it's probably best not to have too high of expectations anyway, particular when Avila was picking them - but wholesale writing him off seems premature at this point. And at some level shows a lack of faith in the new people the org brought in after Avila was fired.

How about we put him in the same bucket as all the other pitching prospects?  He was unproven and now he's hurt and won't pitch all year.  He may come back, but I think it's fair to say he is not a top pitching prospect in baseball at the moment.  

30 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Expectations are higher for a #3 pick, so this is a major disappointment that many believe could have been avoided by not selecting a HS pitcher over a position player.  In full transparency, I was supportive of the signing at the time—now I feel much shame.

I don’t know how the new administration factors in?  First off, they’ve not accomplished anything to warrant any faith at this point.  Secondly, are any of them medical doctors?  If anything, Jobe appears to have got injured under their watch.  I’m not blaming them, but I don’t see the relevance of a new administration here.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

How about we put him in the same bucket as all the other pitching prospects?  He was unproven and now he's hurt and won't pitch all year.  He may come back, but I think it's fair to say he is not a top pitching prospect in baseball at the moment.  

According to the prospect pundits, he wasn’t a top pitching prospect prior to his injury, so nothing has changed.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

How about we put him in the same bucket as all the other pitching prospects?  

Isn't that where he was prior to the injury as well?

I get it, people don't like the draft pick, we've had the conversation endlessly about that. This is just another log on the fire. But the guy who drafted him is gone, there has been a lot of turnover in the development and strength and conditioning staff since his ouster, and I would like to at least give them time to work with him and see if he will improve before writing him off completely.

That was my feeling before the injury news yesterday, and it's my feeling now.... others may feel differently.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t know how the new administration factors in?  First off, they’ve not accomplished anything to warrant any faith at this point.  Secondly, are any of them medical doctors?  If anything, Jobe appears to have got injured under their watch.  I’m not blaming them, but I don’t see the relevance of a new administration here.

I agree that the new administration has nothing to do with it.  I have chosen to think positively about the new admin for a couple of years, but realistically they are still largely an unknown.  

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Isn't that where he was prior to the injury as well?

I get it, people don't like the draft pick, we've had the conversation endlessly about that. This is just another log on the fire. But the guy who drafted him is gone, there has been a lot of turnover in the development and strength and conditioning staff since his ouster, and I would like to at least give them time to work with him and see if he will improve before writing him off completely.

That was my feeling before the injury news yesterday, and it's my feeling now.... others may feel differently.

the owner who let the horrible GM draft again last year... making another iffy draft pick is still around and hasnt proven anything special

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If he is just another prospect, why are you concerned about fans writing him off?  

I'm not concerned. I just think it's premature to write him off and it shows a lack of faith in the new administration.

Others are free to disagree.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Expectations are higher for a #3 pick, so this is a major disappointment that many believe could have been avoided by not selecting a HS pitcher over a position player.

Trust me, I'm aware.... this conversation has been covered endlessly since he was drafted.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I don’t know how the new administration factors in?  First off, they’ve not accomplished anything to warrant any faith at this point.  

First of all, even before Harris was brought in, we have seen in a couple of cases (Parker Meadows and Wenceel Perez most notably) prospects who were written off have some of their stock recovered, and that Garko and others may have had a hand in that. (Certainly Stavenhagen and others seem to think this is the case)

Second, just because the administration is new doesn't mean that they shouldn't be afforded time or some faith to implement their program. As much as people gripe about Pizza Jr., I'm pretty sure he didn't hire the guy with the expectation that he would be a failure.

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Secondly, are any of them medical doctors? 

They have had a lot of turnover in their medical and strength and conditioning staffs since Harris took over.... this was widely reported at the time.

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Write him off from what?  I am not really understanding your point.  

Multiple posters have suggested that they don't expect anything from him going forward. "Write him off" seems like an appropriate euphemism for that position. 

Given that this is a message board and people are allowed to take differing positions, I am expressing that while I understand tempering expectations, I think that it is premature to take that position that we shouldn't expect anything from him going forward.

Others are free to disagree, as always.

Edited by mtutiger

Not expecting anything from a prospect is not the same thing as eliminating him from consideration.  I don't expect anything from most of the Tigers prospects, but that doesn't mean I have written them off.  I don't expect anything from Brieske or Wentz either, but I still think they have chance to be decent.  I am just not counting on them.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Not expecting anything from a prospect is not the same thing as eliminating him from consideration.  I don't expect anything from most of the Tigers prospects, but that doesn't mean I have written them off.  I don't expect anything from Brieske or Wentz either, but I still think they have chance to be decent.  I am just not counting on them.  

exactly it means to me that im not getting emotional invested in the guy making it

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If he is just another prospect, why are you concerned about fans writing him off?  

They've said nothing informative about what the injury is. 'Discomfort' could be anything, muscle tear, hairline fracture of one of the bony processes, damage to a lamella, nerve pinch, you name it, and the recovery prognosis could be anywhere from 100% with no after-effects to the prospect of a continuing chronic condition and predisposition to re-injury.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

18 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m writing him off.  Probably a coping mechanism for me, but I’m not confident that he’ll be able to avoid surgery, given the 3-6 month recovery window.  Will be happy to be proven wrong.

I rest my case.

Edited by mtutiger