2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

today's cuts. Faedo no surprise. They want him and Wentz starting at Toledo. Kreidler one spot closer to making the team.

Faedo and right-handed reliever Edwin Uceta were optioned to Triple-A Toledo.

Right-handed relievers Kervin Castro and Miguel Diaz, left-hander Miguel Del Pozo and utility players Brendon Davis and Jermaine Palacios also were reassigned to minor league.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2023/03/20/alex-faedo-cut-tigers-spring-training-triple-a-toledo/70028313007/

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Hinch was saying it was tough delivering the news to Diaz and Del Pozo. Neither of them have given up a run in spring training.

They were probably longshots since they weren't on the 40.  Diaz had 12 SOs in 6 1/3 IP along with 3 BBs and 3 Hs.  Not sure about the competition that he faced, but that's not bad.

Keith Law getting over his hatred of the Tigers as 2 out of his 10 breakouts stars of 2023 are Tigers. First one was of course Greene but second was a little surprise in Matt Vierling. He also added that he was very close to putting Tork on here too which wouldve made the Tigers make up about a third of the list. 

44 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Keith Law getting over his hatred of the Tigers as 2 out of his 10 breakouts stars of 2023 are Tigers. First one was of course Greene but second was a little surprise in Matt Vierling. He also added that he was very close to putting Tork on here too which wouldve made the Tigers make up about a third of the list. 

In the various recaps of the Soto trade, nobody was higher on Matt Vierling than Keith Law iirc.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Vierling has a chance to win an everyday job eventually and put up good numbers.

There is always a chance!  So far, he hasn't hit RHP well in a small sample.  I can't find minor league splits, but there is nothing in his minor league statistical profile that suggests he'll put up good numbers.  I know he has elite speed, but that doesn't go very far these days.  Is there something you've seen/heard?

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There is always a chance!  So far, he hasn't hit RHP well in a small sample.  I can't find minor league splits, but there is nothing in his minor league statistical profile that suggests he'll put up good numbers.  I know he has elite speed, but that doesn't go very far these days.  Is there something you've seen/heard?

His statcast numbers from 2022 are pretty tantalizing and presumably why Keith Law is a fan.

51 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

His statcast numbers from 2022 are pretty tantalizing and presumably why Keith Law is a fan.

That's what I see, too, plus Vierling has crushed it at times in the minors without a high BABIP, including last year in a short stint at AAA. Plus he had much better BIP luck against LHP (.337) vs RHP (.260). Flatten those out to league BABIP average of .291 and the numbers come a lot closer to each other (.241/.297/.335 vs. RHP, .254/.296/.377 vs LHP). Neither of those are fantastic, but he is still only 26 so probably a bit of room to grow.

He was the guy I liked best from the trade, so I would love to see him prove out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

That's what I see, too, plus Vierling has crushed it at times in the minors without a high BABIP, including last year in a short stint at AAA. Plus he had much better BIP luck against LHP (.337) vs RHP (.260). Flatten those out to league BABIP average of .291 and the numbers come a lot closer to each other (.241/.297/.335 vs. RHP, .254/.296/.377 vs LHP). Neither of those are fantastic, but he is still only 26 so probably a bit of room to grow.

He was the guy I liked best from the trade, so I would love to see him prove out.

Yes, his exit velocity and hard hit ball rate were good and the speed has always been there.  So, there seems to be some potential.  It's also interesting that his barrel rate was low.  That all suggests that he hit a lot of low line drives.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

This may have been discussed already, but why are the Tigers done with Spring training so early?  Some teams are playing through Tuesday which is typical of past springs.  

doubly dumb because as per Dan, they are not even coming back to Detroit. They are staying in Florida through the opener with TB  - so zero required travel time. 

Edited by gehringer_2

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A big (or small) external move coming today or tomorrow?  They must be working on something if they don’t want to announce the final roster.

It's gonna be like college signing day.    Harris & Hinch are going to sit at a table with a bunch of hats with  the players numbers on them and then pick up each hat like its the person they are picking only to put it back down and pick up another hat.   Because that bit NEVER gets old. 

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It's gonna be like college signing day.    Harris & Hinch are going to sit at a table with a bunch of hats with  the players numbers on them and then pick up each hat like its the person they are picking only to put it back down and pick up another hat.   Because that bit NEVER gets old. 

Or the Tigers are holding their own Pitch, Hit and Run competition on the back fields to inform their final roster selections.