2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

So he'll miss most of if not all of this year with back problems, and even assuming that doesn't pop up again(unlikely) with the spin he generates and torque he puts on his elbow you just feel that it's a matter of time before TJ comes knocking and he loses a season or 2 to that as well. 

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

So he'll miss most of if not all of this year with back problems, and even assuming that doesn't pop up again(unlikely) with the spin he generates and torque he puts on his elbow you just feel that it's a matter of time before TJ comes knocking and he loses a season or 2 to that as well. 

yeah - I wondered at the Tigers' excitement about the spin rate on his slider. In my totally uniformed opinion, good spin rate a your *fastball* and you get Justin Verlander - who granted did end up with TJ  - after a HOF career was already in the books. OTOH, super spin rate on your breaking ball and my guess it's a lot more likely to be "Hello Dr. Andrews." 

all that aside, bad back in any baseball player is just horrible news.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The spine is related to everything though.  I am not sure what kind of success pitchers have coming back from this.  I guess we'll just have to be patient with Jobe.  

so it didn't say they were doing any kind of surgical procedure - just hoping for it to go away....(?)

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so it didn't say they were doing any kind of surgical procedure - just hoping for it to go away....(?)

They haven't mentioned surgery.  He may just go the rehab route which I think is common for lumbar issues...unless the rehab does not work.  

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The spine is related to everything though.  I am not sure what kind of success pitchers have coming back from this.  I guess we'll just have to be patient with Jobe.  

The same could be said for Casey Mize, fwiw... he had a similar surgery.

17 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

There's also the new pickoff rule.  I am also skeptical about the Spring increase, but baseball has always been a game of inches.  Sometimes small changes can have big effects.  

Yeah, I would think that its a combination of rules changes having an effect on the running game.

For all of Manfred's warts, I think he deserves credit for putting forth some good rules changes that will benefit the game.  And its not just the actual rues changes themselves, but also trying out rules changes in the minors to see how they might play out during a season.  So there's the practical application of the rules and seeing what works and what doesn't and what might need to be tweaked.  But the younger players in MLB may have already been exposed to these rules, and so they're already in tune with how these rules work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They haven't mentioned surgery.  He may just go the rehab route which I think is common for lumbar issues...unless the rehab does not work.  

Surgery would likely be a last resort.   They will probably have him focus on strengthening his core and his legs.    They won't be contenders in 23 or 24, so why risk pushing him too hard.  

Illitch Family - fulfill your promise of building up The District or this curse will continue. 

9 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Please please do not draft a pitcher number 3. 

If he’s a well-vetted college pitcher drafted #3 who can step into the rotation as early as next year, I could be down.

As for Jackson Jobe—he may have been damaged goods coming in, and/or been (further) ruined by a year under the previous regime, and/or been (further) ruined by sudden changes in routine imposed by this regime (this one unlikely, but still possible, I guess). In any event, he was an 18-year-old drafted in 2021, so he probably wasn’t going to sniff a big league roster until at least 2026, anyway. So a loss of a year either means that gets pushed back to 2027, or it doesn’t make a difference on debut date anyway, which is still a long, long way off.

Edited by chasfh

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If he’s a well-vetted college pitcher drafted #3 who can step into the rotation as early as next year, I could be down.

As for Jackson Jobe—he may have been damaged goods coming in, and/or been (further) ruined by a year under the previous regime, and/or been (further) ruined by sudden changes in routine imposed by this regime (this one unlikely, but still possible, I guess). In any event, he was an 18-year-old drafted in 2021, so he probably wasn’t going to sniff a big league roster until at least 2026, anyway. So a loss of a year either means that gets pushed back to 2027, or it doesn’t make a difference on debut date anyway, which is still a long, long way off.

Depends.  If they rehab this season and then determine he does in fact need surgery, he could miss next year, as well. And then we hope there is nothing wrong with his wing through all of this.

I’m not counting on anything from him moving forward—any contribution will be a pleasant surprise.

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Depends.  If they rehab this season and then determine he does in fact need surgery, he could miss next year, as well. And then we hope there is nothing wrong with his wing through all of this.

I’m not counting on anything from him moving forward—any contribution will be a pleasant surprise.

I'd recently said I'm not writing off Jackson Jobe just yet because I wanted to see what this regime could do with him. But, honestly, I'm starting to trend toward that opinion as well.