2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I read this as it is encouraging that TORK! has exit velocity rates similar to the current best power hitter in the game.

Yeah - 'irresistable' is a good word. I'm trying not to get too excited about this, after all the pitching he's facing is going to improve, but man it's a nice sign.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What position battles are left.     Is it down to Backup Catcher (Rogers vs. someone else) and Utility infielder (Hernandez vs. Short vs. Kreidler) ?  

I don't know who the starting third baseman is or the starting left fielder.  

8 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't know who the starting third baseman is or the starting left fielder.  

Its going to be Maton with  Hernandez, Short or Kreidler backing up).    They don't have an everyday starting leftfielder, it's going to be a combo of Baddoo, Carpenter and Vierling.   Barring injury all three guys are on the team.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think Jake has already left Knapp in the dust, unless he gets hurt again...

It appears Rogers is to be ready to go north.  I was wary that he might have had a longer climb to get into game speed given how much time he lost and how catching is literally involved in every pitch of the game.

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Its going to be Maton with  Hernandez, Short or Kreidler backing up).    They don't have an everyday starting leftfielder, it's going to be a combo of Baddoo, Carpenter and Vierling.   Barring injury all three guys are on the team.

Disagree, if you bring both Carpenter and Baddoo, you don't have a true corner infielder backup.... Torkelson and Maton aren't gonna play every single game, and they aren't sending out Cesar or Kreidler (or Miguel) to man 1B.

One of Nevin or Ibanez will make the team, IMO... with Nevin at least, he comes with the ability to cover a corner OF position as well, and is an additional right handed bat to balance out a heavy left handed OF to the extent that they need him out there. Ibanez is also versatile in his own right and can play 2B.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

you don't have a true corner infielder backup...

If Torkelson can hold down the everyday 1b gig, then Schoop is probably adequate depth for 1st, depending on what they think of Schoop by the end of ST. He didn't show much at WBC. I would think(hope!) that after last season's disaster he can't have too much time left to show something. I'd like to see Nevin get a shot though, some HR potential there maybe.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Torkelson can hold down the everyday 1b gig, then Schoop is probably adequate depth for 1st, depending on what they think of Schoop by the end of ST. He didn't show much at WBC. I would think(hope!) that after last season's disaster he can't have too much time left to show something. I'd like to see Nevin get a shot though, some HR potential there maybe.

I don't believe they are going to use an otherwise starting player as their backup plan at 1B, and I really don't think they should.... let alone Jonathan Schoop, who people seem close to writing off anyway.

Even setting that aside, think about it logically, despite all of the versatility they like to say they have, do people think it's really smart to carry only one IF who can actually play on the diamond (sorry Miggy) on the bench come the regular season in general? I just don't see it happening.

Edited by mtutiger

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Disagree, if you bring both Carpenter and Baddoo, you don't have a true corner infielder backup.... Torkelson and Maton aren't gonna play every single game, and they aren't sending out Cesar or Kreidler (or Miguel) to man 1B.

One of Nevin or Ibanez will make the team, IMO... with Nevin at least, he comes with the ability to cover a corner OF position as well, and is an additional right handed bat to balance out a heavy left handed OF to the extent that they need him out there. Ibanez is also versatile in his own right and can play 2B.

Vierling can play first base.     Maton could probably play first as well.    Nevin will make the team if he's healthy, but it seems like he's going to be out for awhile. 

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Vierling can play first base.     Maton could probably play first as well.    Nevin will make the team if he's healthy, but it seems like he's going to be out for awhile. 

Vierling, Haase, Carpenter, Maton etc. have yet to put on a first base glove this ST as far as I can tell. 

When that changes, maybe I'll start giving credence to the idea that they are going to back that position up from alternative sources. 

• Like 1

I don't think the Tigers are going to have traditional starter and bench roles this year.  They are going to have a lot of multi-position players moving around the field and the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy.  They have enough players who can play 1B and 3B even if they keep Carpenter and Baddoo.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think the Tigers are going to have traditional starter and bench roles this year.  They are going to have a lot of multi-position players moving around the field and the Toledo shuttle is going to be busy.  They have enough players who can play 1B and 3B even if they keep Carpenter and Baddoo.  

This all can be true simultaneously with the idea that they aren't likely to carry both Carpenter and Baddoo out of camp.

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Vierling, Haase, Carpenter, Maton etc. have yet to put on a first base glove this ST as far as I can tell. 

When that changes, maybe I'll start giving credence to the idea that they are going to back that position up from alternative sources. 

But he (Vierling) has played 57 innings there, so, in a pinch, they can use him there.   I don't think they are expecting to give a young guy like Tork a lot of days off.     Greene, Tork, Javy are going to be your everyday guys, the rest of it is like Lee said,  mix & match, which is how AJ likes it.    Generally, if you can't play more than one position, you probably aren't going to be on this team.   Wouldn't be shocked to see Jake Rogers take practice at first base.    I would guess that Schoop starts 80% of the games at 2nd (unless he can't hit) and Maton probably starts 75% of the games at 3rd.    Nevin will be on the team when he's healthy and ready, so I think then we see either Carpenter or Baddoo get sent to Toledo.    But I also think there is a strong possibility that Miguel is on the DL frequently this season.    I don't know that Baddoo has earned it this Spring.   If Nevin is ready by Opening Day then I think it's very likely Akil goes to Toledo.   They can use Vierling in CF, Meadows in both corners and Nevin in the corners.    Baddoo was a great story two years ago, but it may have been one of those stories where he was just so green that he was just playing (knowing he would stay on the team).   With actual expectations he hasn't thrived.   He seems to be that Mikey Mahtook/JaCoby Jones type of athletic guy who just can't hit consistenly..........the athletic talent is there.  

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This all can be true simultaneously with the idea that they aren't likely to carry both Carpenter and Baddoo out of camp.

IMHO - Yes. There also has to be alot depth as injuries will occur (with all teams) and that will keep the Toledo shuttle quite active. The players who start at AAA initially - will hopefully have the right attitude (ex Ibanez/Baddoo/Carpenter/Nevin if on IL, etc.).

It seems JSchoop has to get off to a decent start (first showing now in the Spring he still has it).  It more than likely will be a short leash if not - yet, he is still young enough (and reported in actual better shape) to simply bounce back after an off year.

CHernandez so far is looking decent and he works the count and is playing around the IF dirt.

I would not even be surprised if there a is a deal for another multi-positional type younger player ex VBrujan of Tampa, or someone similar (He does have 1 more option I believe, but perhaps nowhere to really play there as they have alot of IF depth). Speed is coming back to baseball and the Tigs, playing out of Comerica, can take advantage of that if they get the right players. So far possibly with Vierling, Baddoo even JDavis as possible depth. PMeadows would also be in this category - but he really also has alot of upside in several areas.

If Torkelson bats even a little better than last year, he’s going to start 140 games at first. If Nevin aand/or Ibanez is on the squad they will probably relieve here and there, and Schoop may throw on the glove for a game or two, but Eric Haase may also end up seeing some of the remaining 22 starts there.

As for third, we’re probably going to have four different guys starting at least 20 games each there, and no one guy starting 80, unless one guy can suddenly and unexpectedly break away from the pack.