2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The best argument I see is that Parker needs everyday reps, and he probably doesn't get them if he's in Detroit. The same likely applied to Lipcius as well.

I am a little surprised they didn't get more consideration though.

These moves were likely already decided before Spring Training.  Despite a lot of open roster spots, I don't think either of them were seriously considered unless there were a lot of injuries.  That being said, both are probably going to make their ML debut at some point during this season, especially if they perform well in AAA.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2023 at 9:17 PM, Tiger337 said:

I'd rather they keep Schoop.  He is a better defender, two years younger and had a good offensive season more recently than Hernandez.  I'd just hate to see them keep both.  

I mean, its not like the Tigers have some vast array of players that are MLB Caliber. Its not as if they would be taking playing time away from a good player. Injuries happen and Schoop's ability to play multiple positions is going to be needed. At the least let him struggle in April/May then cut him.

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Bold move by Shep being on Twitter...

Didnt even realize it was Shep that posted it, I sometimes go on autopilot on Twitter where I just look at the tweets and forget about the tweeter. Anyway now that I see it's Shep I'm holding out hope that the info is wrong. 

I expected Meadows to be optioned.  I couldn't see them rushing him to the majors after one good but unspectacular year in AA.  He will get more regular at bats in AAA.  I thought Lipcius had a chance only because his future seems to be more utilityman than regular.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I expected Meadows to be optioned.  I couldn't see them rushing him to the majors after one good but unspectacular year in AA.  He will get more regular at bats in AAA.  I thought Lipcius had a chance only because his future seems to be more utilityman than regular.  

Yeah - I thought Lipcius might get a longer look due to plate discipline he showed last year.

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Welp, the Tigers killed Kreidler's future by optioning him to the minors when the fan base knew he should'of been with the Tigers out of camp last season.  The same will probably happen with MeadowsP now.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah Im speaking more in jest about Parker since I just adopted him but I was hoping to see him a little longer in ST...or are we getting to the point where its the norm for teams to start reassigning the guys that they know weren't coming up with the big league team?

There is actually a rule that players added to the 40 man over the offseason can't be optioned until 20 days before the season.

Just now, Edman85 said:

There is actually a rule that players added to the 40 man over the offseason can't be optioned until 20 days before the season.

Thanks, I was just going to ask if there was some sort of rule behind when to option/reassign players.

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The best argument I see is that Parker needs everyday reps, and he probably doesn't get them if he's in Detroit. The same likely applied to Lipcius as well.

I am a little surprised they didn't get more consideration though.

There's what like 10 games left in spring? 

They weren't gonna make the team cause they have limited minors success. There is no reason to rush em, remember when the team put up tork last year? Let them go down, play everyday and improve.

Sending them down now frees up spring at bats for the guys who need to get ready and for guys on the fence like badooo.

20 minutes ago, KL2 said:

There's what like 10 games left in spring? 

They weren't gonna make the team cause they have limited minors success. There is no reason to rush em, remember when the team put up tork last year? Let them go down, play everyday and improve.

Sending them down now frees up spring at bats for the guys who need to get ready and for guys on the fence like badooo.

OK

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Freddy Pacheco is a great name to work in their Toledo underground network.

He also has nice k rates.  He has tightness in his elbow though.  All around, he should fit in well!

I see the name and automatically think Fight Doctor. His first name was Ferdie

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Freddy Pacheco is a great name to work in their Toledo underground network.

He also has nice k rates.  He has tightness in his elbow though.  All around, he should fit in well!

The walk and strikeout numerals are pretty cartoony.