2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think the improvements are fantastic. This is the kind of thing that plays very well in the player community and will help make Detroit a more attractive option for players who are moving on, and if we want to move into the elite level of teams, we have to become an organization that top players want to come play for. No winner can build entirely from within. 

Baby Doc has moved up a notch in my estimation. 

It's been happening, fwiw.... the lighting and fences are part of this as well, finally getting that stuff done fits into the pattern as well.

I don't like Chris Ilitch or think he's even a scrupulous businessman for that matter. But if you aren't totally hung up on free agency, it's not hard to see this stuff happening. But free agency is also the biggest and highest profile thing that happens in the offseason and ultimately how judgments are made in terms of improvements among fans.

38 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It's been happening, fwiw.... the lighting and fences are part of this as well, finally getting that stuff done fits into the pattern as well.

I don't like Chris Ilitch or think he's even a scrupulous businessman for that matter. But if you aren't totally hung up on free agency, it's not hard to see this stuff happening. But free agency is also the biggest and highest profile thing that happens in the offseason and ultimately how judgments are made in terms of improvements among fans.

I'm not totally hung up on free agency. I do think it's important to make this team competitive for the better free agents when it's our time, perhaps as soon as next year, and I think it's important that not only on-field improvements like lighting and fence depth are addressed, but off-field amenities like improved travel and clubhouse experience as well. All this is a big step in the right direction and sends a big message to the industry about striving to actually become a truly first-class organization, not just giving the idea cheap lip service. And it's even better that it came from the mouth of Chris Ilitch directly to the players, coaches and staff inside of the clubhouse, in their environment, looking all of them in the eye, instead of communicating it through an intermediary or a memo, because that face-to-face delivery of the message makes his personal responsibility for making it happen even more heightened, and puts him squarely on the hook if it doesn't. His entire credibility as an owner with his players is right on the line.

I'm not a big fan of Baby Doc, either, as anyone who's seen me post here over the years could attest. But he did move up a notch in my estimation with this move.

Edited by chasfh

Daniel Norris signs with the Reds.

Reminds of the TV series Taxi, when Bobby Wheeler gets a real acting job and Louie DePalma says "he'll be back.........trust me........the only person who ever made it out of this garage was James Caan............and he'll be back"

Norris will bomb in Cincy, get release and will pitch for the Tigers before the end of the season.        

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Money...it's all about the money. Gold plated toilets? That's fine, just offer the free agents more money than anyone else and they will sign.

58 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Norris will bomb in Cincy, get release and will pitch for the Tigers before the end of the season.        

I know this is probably more sarcasm, but I really don't see that happening this year. Team is in a much different position pitching wise.

44 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Money...it's all about the money. Gold plated toilets? That's fine, just offer the free agents more money than anyone else and they will sign.

"Welcome to the Detroit Tigers ... this is the clubhouse ... here's your first month's check for $5 million ... just hang your street clothes on the nail on the wall over there by the toilet ... "

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And here we go.  

Reese Olson has been working through some elbow soreness in Tigers' camp. 

The Tigers have been bringing Olson along slowly this spring, but he's slated to throw live batting practice on March 1. In other words, it's not expected to be a long-term issue. Olson, 23, was added to the Tigers' 40-man roster over the winter after posting a 4.14 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 168/38 K/BB ratio across 119 2/3 innings (26 appearances, 25 starts) in Double-A last season. 

SOURCE: Chris McCosky

José Cisnero has been receiving treatment for a muscle spasm in his neck. 

He's been dealing with the issue for the past week. It doesn't sound like a major concern as of now, so there's still plenty of time for him to get ramped up for the season. The 34-year-old Cisnero missed time with a shoulder injury last year before posting a 1.08 ERA with 23 strikeouts and 19 walks in 25 innings. 

SOURCE: Cody Stavenhagen

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

And here we go.  

Reese Olson has been working through some elbow soreness in Tigers' camp. 

The Tigers have been bringing Olson along slowly this spring, but he's slated to throw live batting practice on March 1. In other words, it's not expected to be a long-term issue. Olson, 23, was added to the Tigers' 40-man roster over the winter after posting a 4.14 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 168/38 K/BB ratio across 119 2/3 innings (26 appearances, 25 starts) in Double-A last season. 

SOURCE: Chris McCosky

José Cisnero has been receiving treatment for a muscle spasm in his neck. 

He's been dealing with the issue for the past week. It doesn't sound like a major concern as of now, so there's still plenty of time for him to get ramped up for the season. The 34-year-old Cisnero missed time with a shoulder injury last year before posting a 1.08 ERA with 23 strikeouts and 19 walks in 25 innings. 

SOURCE: Cody Stavenhagen

can we still blame Doug Tetter and Kevin Rand?

Oh my god, this is so thrilling to read.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/jeff-seidel/2023/02/26/detroit-tigers-top-secret-lab-giving-pitchers-new-tools-to-dominate/69942299007/

Check out what Chases Shreve says here:

In January, after left-hander Chasen Shreve signed a minor league deal with the Tigers, with an invitation to major league spring training, he met with Hinch and pitching coach Chris Fetter.

“We were talking about analytics and what they want me to do,” he said.

And he found it so refreshing.

“I've never really been on a team that told me how to use my analytical numbers,” he said. “Nobody's really ever been like, ‘Hey, this is what we think you should throw your fastball, your splitter and in what counts.”

This is a guy who has nine MLB seasons behind him, as part of five organizations.

“On the teams I’ve been on, nobody has ever been like, OK, this is analytically what we see and this is how you should pitch,” he said. “Nobody's ever said that to me until I got here. In our meeting, they were telling me what they thought, and I told them what I thought, and we were bouncing ideas off each other and I was like, ‘I've never done this, like, with a team before.’ ”

He found it refreshing and encouraging.

Think about that: here is a guy who spent a ton of time in the Braves’, Yankees’, Cardinals’, and Mets’ systems—all considered top tier systems—and here he is saying that no one told him how to use the numbers from analytics until he came to the Tigers this year.

The Detroit Tigers, on the forefront of applied analytics. WOW!

I never imagined I’d ever see something like that!

Edited by chasfh
  • Thanks 1