2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I predicted Tork would be the first true fluff piece but it seems I picked the wrong Spenny T. Shouldve known it would be a pitcher since they report first. 

I thought I'd been seeing a ton of fluff pieces by Petzold, but mostly on the minor league free agents and whatnot.

I tell this story a lot but what I like about the stirrups thing is I hear people lament they don't wear them like the good old days.  they aren't fans of how players today "do it".  But when stirrups became a thing in the 60s it was led by guys like Joe Morgan and other black players as a form of solidarity. and people complained about it being showboating.  Got that from Bouton's book.

If they only knew.

To be slightly serious for just a moment, it does seem early on that Spencer Turnbull is getting an outsized amount of hype from both the writers and the team (in form of Harris/AJ comments, social media).

He's kind of the forgotten man, but he has always seemed capable of coming back from TJ and being successful. We shall see.

15 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The replies to this tweet, I can't tell if they are serious, of people bemoaning the fact that Mize is injured this year (Not sure what they expected?)...

A combination of that and the fact that they didn't manage to somehow claim Carlos Correa on waivers

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

To be slightly serious for just a moment, it does seem early on that Spencer Turnbull is getting an outsized amount of hype from both the writers and the team (in form of Harris/AJ comments, social media).

He's kind of the forgotten man, but he has always seemed capable of coming back from TJ and being successful. We shall see.

The issue for Turnbull was never really coming back, it's more about what breaks next. His injury history is so extensive, going back to college, that it's hard to envision that suddenly stopping now.