2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

He’s going to need it.  I think his defensive “success” had a lot to do with favorable shift results.  And of course his offense needs to rebound.  This is probably not only a free agency season for him, but quite possibly a significant fork in the road for his future.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Games

You’re probably correct about 60 games.  60 plate appearances is probably an unlikely possibility unless injury creeps in.

On the other hand, if he’s not in shape and the Tigers have enough guys that looks to determine their futures, does Cabrera find himself relegated to PH rather than DH?

Edited by casimir

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

You’re probably correct about 60 games.  60 plate appearances is probably an unlikely possibility unless injury creeps in.

On the other hand, if he’s not in shape and the Tigers have enough guys that looks to determine their futures, does Cabrera find himself relegated to PH rather than DH?

I'd like him relegated to the dugout as a "coach/ ambassador" and off the 40.

buddha suggested ambassadorship. I concur.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, casimir said:

The answer should be "yes"... 2022 has made everyone cynical as all get out, but in terms of outfield, there is a world where Riley/Meadows are putting up really good numbers and  Vierling/Baddoo/Carpenter are playing well enough where they should be in the lineup most days.

Not saying that world happens, certainly injuries will play a factor as well, but if it does, I don't know how easy it is to give Miggy regular ABs... 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'd like him relegated to the dugout as a "coach/ ambassador" and off the 40.

buddha suggested ambassadorship. I concur.

If he’s off of the 40 man roster, he needs to not be in the dugout unless he has serious chops as a coach.  Otherwise, he’s just a sideshow (which I kind of think he is at this point anyway) as a “dugout ambassador” once the regular season begins.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

If he’s off of the 40 man roster, he needs to not be in the dugout unless he has serious chops as a coach.  Otherwise, he’s just a sideshow (which I kind of think he is at this point anyway) as a “dugout ambassador” once the regular season begins.

I think he is EXACTLY nothing but a sideshow at this point.

It wouldn't bother me to have him as a cheerleader in the dugout. And let him glad-hand fans and opposing teams every single game.

And I don't care if they call it "Ambassador", "Ambassador Coach", "Detroit Fans Designated Coach", "Official Hat-Waving Coach", or whatever.

I could care less what position he holds. Coach or otherwise. He will have zero effect on the field, Hinch will make certain of that. So call it whatever you want to call it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sorry fellas, Cabrera is playing out the contract.  There was never the slightest chance that he wouldn't, not a snowball's.  If he is genuinely injured, he will go on an injury list.  Otherwise, he will get 400 PA's.

Let’s hope he can make the best of them.  I don’t think he has a Pujols final season in him, but let’s hope he can contribute.

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Let’s hope he can make the best of them.  I don’t think he has a Pujols final season in him, but let’s hope he can contribute.

it's very likely going to look just like last year. He'll hit for a little average, maybe a couple of HRs, then at some point, probably still relatively early in the season, the knee will reach its limit of use, any remaining power will go, and his OPS will crater though he might still manage a 300 OB

Edited by gehringer_2

40 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sorry fellas, Cabrera is playing out the contract.  There was never the slightest chance that he wouldn't, not a snowball's.  If he is genuinely injured, he will go on an injury list.  Otherwise, he will get 400 PA's.

He is going to be...

A whole lot closer to 40 PA's this year than 400.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

it's very likely going to look just like last year. He'll hit for a little average, maybe a couple of HRs, then at some point, probably still relatively early in the season, the knee will reach its limit of use, any remaining power will go, and his OPS will crater though he might still manage a 300 OB

Yes this is likely I think although I think it will be later in the year, end of July probably.

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

There is no wishing there.

It's an educated guess and I stand by it.

Miggy will get closer to 40 PA's this year than 400.

Book it.

Oddly enough - if Hinch only played him twice a week there might be a chance for him to stay productive enough for it not to be so painful to watch. If you decide to cap him at 200AB going in you have a shot a 200 decent AB. Let him start playing consecutive days you are sure to get last year over again.

Edited by gehringer_2