2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sorry fellas, Cabrera is playing out the contract.  There was never the slightest chance that he wouldn't, not a snowball's.  If he is genuinely injured, he will go on an injury list.  Otherwise, he will get 400 PA's.

He's definitely playing out the contract. But if other guys are performing at a higher level than he is, I don't see 400 plate appearances happening 

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

It wouldn't bother me to have him as a cheerleader in the dugout. And let him glad-hand fans and opposing teams every single game.

And I don't care if they call it "Ambassador", "Ambassador Coach", "Detroit Fans Designated Coach", "Official Hat-Waving Coach", or whatever.

I could care less what position he holds. Coach or otherwise. He will have zero effect on the field, Hinch will make certain of that. So call it whatever you want to call it.

Sure, let him wear the Paws costume and shoot old boxes of Bit Bits into the crowd with air cannon from the dugout.  What a real hootenanny that will be.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If everything goes right, I see Cabrera as a one game per series guy, which would put him right around 50 games and perhaps 200 plate trips. If he gets substantially more than that, something has gone horribly wrong.

Unless he plays well.  Which I don't expect.

The new fences means he will be hitting some bombs!

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

There is no wishing there.

It's an educated guess and I stand by it.

Miggy will get closer to 40 PA's this year than 400.

Book it.

A year and a half ago, you told us to book that he would retire after getting the milestones in 2022.  Again, you can wish for it all you want, but it was never going to happen.  It was pure fantasy. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Unless he plays well.  Which I don't expect.

The new fences means he will be hitting some bombs!

Neither do I. Making it through a whole season of one-game-a-series might even be optimistic. I think there's at least a 50-50 chance he finds his way to the 60-day injured list at some point during the season.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

A year and a half ago, you told us to book that he would retire after getting the milestones in 2022.  Again, you can wish for it all you want, but it was never going to happen.  It was pure fantasy. 

I don't believe I "booked" that one. Don't remember...

That one was definitely wishful thinking.

But not this one.

It should be an interesting journey this year...

Not Superb or Brilliant or any other superlative... just interesting.

We'll see what the Tigers look like after 8 months.

That's what will be most interesting to me...

What they look like at the end of the season, as compared to what they look like at the beginning.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

If everything goes right, I see Cabrera as a one game per series guy, which would put him right around 50 games and perhaps 200 plate trips. If he gets substantially more than that, something has gone horribly wrong.

I think it will be better than that, given he's not really blocking anyone or there is no need to shuffle ABs to a DH spot (i.e. crowded outfield). I expect MIggy to play a lot early because of above. Then in the middle he won't play much as guys from AAA are calle up and given a shot. Then when we are far out of it and the season is over he will close out his career playing in a bunch of games in September. 

7 hours ago, KL2 said:

I think it will be better than that, given he's not really blocking anyone or there is no need to shuffle ABs to a DH spot (i.e. crowded outfield). I expect MIggy to play a lot early because of above. Then in the middle he won't play much as guys from AAA are calle up and given a shot. Then when we are far out of it and the season is over he will close out his career playing in a bunch of games in September. 

I don’t know.  As was mentioned earlier, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Tigers have 4 LHH OFs worthy of playing vs RHPs.  If it happens, those DH PAs have to go to the 4th OF, assuming Cabrera’s decline continues.  It might not look like a crowded OF now, but we’ll see what it looks like once some games get played.

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know.  As was mentioned earlier, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Tigers have 4 LHH OFs worthy of playing vs RHPs.  If it happens, those DH PAs have to go to the 4th OF, assuming Cabrera’s decline continues.  It might not look like a crowded OF now, but we’ll see what it looks like once some games get played.

I guess i don't see a guy like Badoo (Who was worse last year than Cabrera) as "Worthy"

Not to mention injury, days offs and what not. I don't think our "glut" of medicore outfielder need ABS over Cabrera. Now if Greene makes strides and Meadows is healthy then it could. But we aren't gonna know that until what 45 games in? Then Miggy will lose ABs, which I believe is what I wrote. That he would lose ABs in the middle of the season. 

I'm not sure you can look at Miggy's 2022 without acknowledging just how terrible he was after the All Star Break. .171 average with a cool ~.500 OBP. Obviously injuries factor in, but he is also nearing 40 years old and he's no guarantee to do as well as he did even at the beginning of the year either.

AJ will find him some ABs early, no doubt. But after that first month, if he isn't producing and other guys are, whether it's Baddoo or Carpenter or whoever, those ABs are gonna get spread around. As they should, given the GM's stated position about AB's for young players being highly valuable

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

I guess i don't see a guy like Badoo (Who was worse last year than Cabrera) as "Worthy"

Not to mention injury, days offs and what not. I don't think our "glut" of medicore outfielder need ABS over Cabrera. Now if Greene makes strides and Meadows is healthy then it could. But we aren't gonna know that until what 45 games in? Then Miggy will lose ABs, which I believe is what I wrote. That he would lose ABs in the middle of the season. 

Everybody on the roster should be getting at bats over Cabrera.  The idea this year is to find out who can contribute in the future.  Cabrera can't.  Guys like Baddoo, Carpenter and Vierling might.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

As rotten of a season as Baddoo had in 2022, he’s been a better hitter than Cabrera since Baddoo’s debut.

I believe you also wrote that Cabrera isn’t blocking anyone.  I disagree with that.  He offers nothing defensively, he can’t run the bases, and he’s just not much of a hitter anymore.  Essentially he’s a zero tool player at this stage in his career.  The Tigers should be in position to play a bunch of kids to see if any of them are worth keeping beyond this season.  His roster spot being taken up by a zero tool player is going to limit Detroit’s ability to platoon and the bench is going to be short an actual contributing player (even if it’s no more than a good fielding poor hitting player).

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Everybody on the roster should be getting at bats over Cabrera.  The idea this year is to find out who can contribute in the future.  Cabrera can't.  Guys like Baddoo, Carpenter and Vierling might.   

At bats are just a piece of it.  It’s overall playing time, which using the DH slot as a partial day of a position player would do.

And it’s the roster spot.  There going to carry 13 position players.  2 catchers.  An OF of Meadows, Greene, Baddoo, Carpenter (all LHHs) and Vierling, 5 OFs.  A probable starting IF of Torkleson, Schoop, Baez, and Maton.  There’s going to need to be a backup IF, so that’ll be a 5th IF.  So that’s 12 position players right there.  Cabrera is the 13th.  That doesn’t leave a lot of room for platooning, which the projected LHH heavy OF would need.  They could use Haase in the OF, but they likely won’t be able to do that against all LHPs.

Then they run into issues like they did last season where, because of poor roster construction, they can’t make moves late in the game to PH, PR, or have a defensive replacement.  Or someone gets dinged with a day-to-day injury which shortens the bench.

This version of Cabrera is a nightmare on this version of the Detroit Tigers.

And he absolutely is blocking ANYONE who can actually play in the field. I don't care if that's Baddoo, Kreidler, Nevin, Rogers... ANY of these guys has vastly more usefulness to the Tigers than the bloated corpse of Miggy the Whale.