2023 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

RatkoVarda

I've mentioned this before but I think playing for a winner means more in other sports namely basketball than it does in baseball cause in other sports your legacy is completely tied to how well your team does.  Baseball being a much more individual stat based sport it really doesn't matter how your team fairs as evidence of Trout being viewed as the consensus best player in baseball for the past decade.  Any other sport there'd be no way he'd even be in the conversation due to his team's success no matter how good his stats were. 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think that's a big reason why the Rangers are able to get good players to go there even without a recent track record. Another reason, mentioned here, is that Texas is a preferred geography for a lot of players: it's in the South, which American southerners like, and they have an embedded Hispanic culture there, which appeals to Latinos. Detroit has neither of those things. And, of course, the Tigers weren't going to throw 5/185 or 10/325 or 7/175 at anyone, anyway, so there's that, too.

FWIW, people around the org and local media think the new stadium / facilities are the best in baseball and are a draw as well.

(I dont know personally, it may just be that standard "everything's bigger (better) in Texas mentality that everyone projects here lol)

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

FWIW, people around the org and local media think the new stadium / facilities are the best in baseball and are a draw as well.

(I dont know personally, it may just be that standard "everything's bigger (better) in Texas mentality that everyone projects here lol)

Is there not some tax benefits as well? Not a major reason if so - but does not hurt.

4 minutes ago, alex said:

Is there not some tax benefits as well? Not a major reason if so - but does not hurt.

Correct, Texas does not have a state income tax.

(Property taxes are another matter, but that's a tradeoff multimillionaire athletes will make, particularly if they live somewhere else in the offseason)

44 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Pitchers and Catchers report.   The holiday season has begun.   HAPPY HOLIDAYS !

Dude...

None of this "Happy Holidays" BS!

Call the holiday by its REAL name!!!

HAPPY SPRING TRAINING OPENING DAY

ladies & gents!!!

(I'm just being a smartass here but... you know...)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Correct, Texas does not have a state income tax.

(Property taxes are another matter, but that's a tradeoff multimillionaire athletes will make, particularly if they live somewhere else in the offseason)

The state income tax savings alone will save Jacob deGrom close to $19 million during the course of his contract versus if he’d made the same salary with the Mets,

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Right now it's 60 degrees in Dearborn at 9am on February 15th. 

There is no way Opening Day is going to be as nice as the last 3 days here.   

This has been the easiest February of my life (in Detroit anyway).

this has been the easiest Michigan winter of my life.

9 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Between this, the shift ban, the pitch clock, and, I assume, a juiced ball, run scoring is going to leap by perhaps a whole run per team per game. The only thing that’s going to keep it down will be record strikeouts by a record number of pitchers per game.

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Last year, it said 68 wins and everyone laughed.  What does Pecota know?

Harris gets this year as a mulligan, but they had better start improving quickly after that.   That may seem unfair, but I think we've had enough of this crap.   Great front office and stadium moves this offseason (at least I think they were great) and just awful roster construction, but I get it, he's got to see what he has and maybe Meadows, Schoop and Baez return to career averages, but I just dont see "Wait until 2026" as acceptable.  

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Between this, the shift ban, the pitch clock, and, I assume, a juiced ball, run scoring is going to leap by perhaps a whole run per team per game. The only thing that’s going to keep it down will be record strikeouts by a record number of pitchers per game.

I know, with all this maybe the Tigers can hit .,235 as a team this year !

Wait a minute, .241 put a team in the top half of hitting last year?   Oh my god.   10 points down from 2017.   Wow.   No wonder the game is struggling to attract fans.   In 2008 that number was .264.    

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I know, with all this maybe the Tigers can hit .,235 as a team this year !

Wait a minute, .241 put a team in the top half of hitting last year?   Oh my god.   10 points down from 2017.   Wow.   No wonder the game is struggling to attract fans.   In 2008 that number was .264.    

Without doing any math on actual BABIP from the last few years, I could see batting averages leaping by 20 points or more, tempered, of course, by the strikeout increase.

BTW, here’s a clarification on the rule limiting throws over to first that I did not realize: the technical limitation is not on throws, but on “disengagements”, meaning, a disengagement of the pitcher’s foot from the pitcher plate to engage with the runner on first. IOW, a step off the rubber and a movement toward first counts the same against the limit as an actual throw. I don’t love the rule, but if they’re gonna have it anyway, I rather like this.

The fear (and my belief) is that Chris Illitch will NEVER spend money.   He reached out for Baez and it failed and he's probably saying "see, it doesn't work".    I want a fan boy for an owner, not a profit margin guy.   Team is with probably 30 times what his dad bought it for. Sell it to someone who cares about winning. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Last year, it said 68 wins and everyone laughed.  What does Pecota know?

what kind of a reflection is it on Harris if we backslide even further?  Last year was classic Murphy's Law--significant injuries, key players missing time (ERod and Meadows), not a single offensive player hitting close to their career averages/potential?

Can we really be worse, and should that be excused?  I don't think this is the same situation that Dombrowski was in--when he joined, the cupboards were literally bare.  That's not the case now, though admittedly there are a ton of question marks.

Personally, I don't see us being worse, although the schedule changes where we don't face our AL Central rivals a disproportionate amount, could have negative implications.