March Game Threads

On 3/27/2023 at 6:48 AM, buddha said:

wings now up to 8th on the tankathon board.  realistically, they could get as low as 6th.  

islanders pick currently sitting at 17th.

I didn't want to answer this when you posted this...

Mostly because the Wings still had a game in hand on the Canucks & Blues...

And if the Wings win tonight (beating the Penguins 3-0 as sloth pointed out)...

We're back in the 10th spot again, or tied with the Blues for 9th/10, however anyone wants to look at it. (However... Canucks & Blues are playing each other tonight so that also complicates the short-term draft picture...)

In the other thread, I pointed out that the Wings were sort of stuck in the 10th spot. But that was March 11th and a lot has changed the past 2+ weeks... Mostly, at that point in time we were closer to dropping a spot or two in the draft versus getting any higher. And the teams ahead of us in the draft (Blues & Canucks) were several points away from us so...

That appears to no longer be true (in the 10-12th spot), as you have pointed out that we were holding onto #8 for at least a moment.

We might be back in the 10th spot tonight, but the teams just behind us (or ahead of us for those still looking at the playoffs) - the Capitals and Senators - have put a small amount of distance between us and the 11th or 12th spot in the draft. It's only a couple points (counting games in hand) so things could swing again if the Wings win a few games...

But since they haven't, and only 9 games left after tonight... I'll ignore the possible 11th or 12th spot for a moment and look at what's changed right in front of us in the draft.

In short, the Canucks went 8-2 in their last 10, the Blues went 6-3-1 in their last 10, whilst the Wings went 3-7.

That was helpful!!!

So... we might still be in the 10th spot after tonight, but even with a win, we are VERY close to usurping those two teams in the draft IF they continue winning and the Wings continue their losing ways...

I'm not stressing either way... To me it is what it is and I think it's useless to stress whether they win or lose games in the final 10 here... the team is going to do whatever it does in that sense. No sense in agonizing over it.

But, just for full disclosure... I wanted to point out how they were faring in this particular race. They are within shouting distance of the Flyers as well, so:

#7 to #12 draft spot is currently in range to end this season.

To anyone who is interested...

On 3/27/2023 at 6:48 AM, buddha said:

wings now up to 8th on the tankathon board.  realistically, they could get as low as 6th.  

islanders pick currently sitting at 17th.

PS: They can't get as low as 6th... at least at this point.

They could beat the Flyers to the 7th spot... but the next two teams:

Canadiens with 66 points (Wings currently at 71 pre-Penguins) but the Wings have 2 games in hand (72 vs. Montreal's 74)

Coyotes with 67 points but Wings have 3 games in hand pre-Penguins (Arizona with 75 games played.)

REALLY hard for the Wings to move up on those two teams. At this point in time.

So really in the 7th to 12th spots as I mentioned above....

31 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

3-0 over the Penguins early, haven't really been watching so no clue how that happened

Also not watching but the box score says a LOT of secondary players are scoring points and not really our primary players (Oesterle, Copp, Czarnik, Kubalik, Suter, Veleno, Lindstrom...).

Seider has an assist. Berggren with a goal if you consider him a primary player...? Is Copp a primary at this point? He hasn't really shown as a high-scoring 2C this year...

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Vrana scored twice togihht versus Canucks including OT winner. Now has 9 goals in 12 games for Blues 

I guess the Canucks have a 'system' Vrana is willing or able to play in. It appears we aren't going to find out what went down, but it sure seems like some bridges got burned down big time doesn't it?

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess the Canucks have a 'system' Vrana is willing or able to play in. It appears we aren't going to find out what went down, but it sure seems like some bridges got burned down big time doesn't it?

he plays for the blues.

he was the one hope they had as an elite finisher on that team.  this might have been a different season with a healthy bert and vrana.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

he plays for the blues.

he was the one hope they had as an elite finisher on that team.  this might have been a different season with a healthy bert and vrana.

haha - don't know where that transpo came out of. IDK. Bert's not exactly tearing it up in Bos. Maybe at 28 and all the accumulated physical damage he can't play the style that made him valuable so well anymore. He sure didn't look like the same player even starting out this year in the few games before the 1st hand injury.

Vrana - WTF. I guess Mantha for Cossa may end up OK overall in the end but the Vrana piece has sure been a screw-up. Who knows, maybe he'll just go back off the deep end again but right now he sure looks like an opportunity lost.

3 guys we figured in October as being in the top half of the roster - Hronek, Bertuzzi, Vrana- are gone without any NHL players back for them. Fine, but I definitely want picks to be swapped to acquire NH talent this summer. Seven years without playoffs four under Yzerman’s watch, are enough. 

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, do you think SY has done better as a trader or as a drafter? 

I like his trades and signings, overall.

Drafting has been fine, with Seider the big get and Raymond the right pick too. Jury's out beyond that. Will his 2nds so far turn out to be as good as a Bertuzzi (2nd round, 58th overall) or Hronek (2nd round, 53rd overall) or AA (4th round, 110 overall)? Let's hope. 

How much less bare is the cupboard than it was four years ago?

https://www.nhl.com/news/steve-yzerman-named-detroit-general-manager/c-306889276

"I think there's a good foundation in place in players like [center] Dylan Larkin, [forward] Anthony Mantha, [center] Andreas Athanasiou, [forward] Tyler Bertuzzi and [defenseman] Filip Hronek. You need players like that to build the core you need to reach the higher levels. Kenny has also accumulated a lot of draft picks, and it will be imperative that we draft well, but we already have some promising prospects in players like [forward Filip] Zadina, [center Michael] Rasmussen, [defenseman Jared] McIsaac and [center Joseph] Veleno. We also have an excellent young coach in Jeff Blashill."

Edited by lordstanley

I know I'm a homer because I like those drafts still haha.  Raymond is second in his draft class in points, 4th in games played.  I still have high hopes for Wallinder so we will see how that goes.  So far that draft hasn't produced much outside of the first round and there are even misses there.  Hanas probably is an AHLer but I don't think he's completely a lost cause, Sebrango and Viro seem to be decent depth from the minors. 

I think Soderblom is a NHL player so I'm happy with him and Seider from 2019.  It is a shame Mastro and Phillips' time at BU was so weird I really thought it was a good idea to get them both.  If Tyutyayev puts on some muscle he could be something?  Players from the later rounds of this draft seem to be trickling into the NHL a bit more now so it would be nice if another player could join Seider and Soderblom in the NHL.  But drafting is tough.

Edited by slothfacekilla

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Continuing on from the above post. Except for the Seider scoop, Yzerman's first two drafts were underwhelming.

Screenshot (1193).png

figure you need to average at least 2 or three guys each year on average, esp when you are rebuilding. If Soderblom  sticks eventually that's two for 2019, Same for Wallinder making it two for 2020. Three sure things each would have been nicer for sure....

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

figure you need to average at least 2 or three guys each year on average, esp when you are rebuilding. If Soderblom  sticks eventually that's two for 2019, Same for Wallinder making it two for 2020. Three sure things each would have been nicer for sure....

its WAY too early to make those projections.  i dont know why people are down on hanas, he's shown a lot, imo and looks like he can be a bertuzzi type rush the net offensive player.

johannson and especially wallinder look like very good prospects.  soderblom getting ANY nhl run as a 6th round pick is an absolute steal.

getting the calder trophy winner in draft one and the 3rd place finisher in draft two and youre complaining?  kasper is coming over here as an 18 year old.  edvinsson showed serious chops in the little time he was here.  they have built a bevy of defensive prospects. come on.

what they dont have is elite finishing.  that's hard to come by.  its why we were in for horvat and its why we'll be in for nylander if he goes on the market or pedersson or any other elite offensive winger.  its what we thought we had in vrana before that happened.

the criticism of yzerman is spending on glue pieces this offseason, particularly chairot, he has been a bust just as almost everyone predicted it would be.  also, he has been unable to find a solution in goal.  other than that, i dont have much to fault him for.  he robbed the canucks blind for hronek.  he got good value for an injured bertuzzi.  he signed larkin to a decent deal.  he has a future norris-level defenseman.  he stole walman and fabbri from the blues.

this team had almost nothing except larkin, hronek, bert, and maybe rasmussen when he got here: that's one a/b level center, a #3-4 defenseman, a poor skating pest plugger, and a project winger with height.  and the minors were empty!  they were the worst team in modern nhl history.  and they have had negative 100 lottery luck.  it is not easy to build a team from that.

again, the one criticism is spending too early.  but they have two #1 picks this year and (likely) two number one picks next year and a few seconds as well.  they have ammunition to find their brayden point or david pasternak.  have some patience.

how many top 2 or 3 picks has buffalo had and theyre STILL not a playoff team?  or ottawa?  detroit will get there, but they are still digging out of a decade of poor drafting and development.  that takes time.