2023 WBC Tournament

Figured it could support it’s own thread.

Miggy will now have participated in all 5 WBC’s

The eight participants from the Tigers: designated hitter Miguel Cabrera (Venezuela), left-handed starter Eduardo Rodriguez(Venezuela) shortstop Javier Báez (Puerto Rico), second baseman Jonathan Schoop(Netherlands), third baseman Andy Ibáñez(Cuba), infielder John Valente (Italy), right-handed reliever Chavez Fernander (Great Britain) and left-handed reliever Jack O'Loughlin(Australia).

I am going to be in Tokyo on vacation next week and we have tickets for next Wednesday’s quarterfinal at the Tokyo Dome. It’s for the #2 seed in Japan’s group vs #1 in the other, so the tickets for the Thursday quarterfinal were sky high. But if Japan unexpectedly drops to #2 in the group we will be in luck for a great atmosphere. My wife is from Taiwan so them making it to our quarter final would be cool as well. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I are headed down to Miami to meet up with a buddy of mine who's coming in from Boston, and we will be taking in the Venezuela-Dominican game Saturday night. This will probably be the last game I see without the pitch clock, and if my experience in Cuba is any indication, it will be a four-plus-hour nine-inning extravaganza with vuvuzelas going off constantly around us. It's gonna be a blast. Can hardly wait!

On 3/9/2023 at 3:36 AM, Toddwert said:

watching the WBC always reminds me how lame we are as fans.... all the singing and noise making helps make the sport more interesting 

I'm looking forward to the singing and noise, but not the 90% masking.

Watching Italy-Taipei now and Korea-Japan. I had to chuckle how the 3rd out last inning for Japan was made by Lars Nootbar of the Cardinals. Born in California but his mom is Japanese. 

On 3/9/2023 at 6:36 AM, Toddwert said:

watching the WBC always reminds me how lame we are as fans.... all the singing and noise making helps make the sport more interesting 

It is interesting how the baseball atmosphere can be so different from culture to culture.  Oakland's home crowds, especially in the playoffs, are quite a contrast to the rest of MLB.

On 3/11/2023 at 11:55 PM, lordstanley said:

Potential for chaos in Pool A. I am rooting against that for once, as a Taiwan win in final game is all they need to win the group and we’d get to watch their quarter final in person. 

1C593B20-8406-4291-A3AF-BCB615043CB4.jpeg

So the 5-way tie at 2-2 did happen. This was the tiebreaker mechanism.  If only the tiebreaker had been decided by putting each team captain into one room and whoever solved that math formula quickest would be the winner. Accuse me of bias or of (positive) stereotyping, but I would have liked the Taiwan guy’s chances. Instead it ended Cuba, Italy, Netherlands,  Panama and Taiwan in that order. 

32563781-93F2-4FAD-8941-31934B74DE59.jpeg

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

So the 5-way tie at 2-2 did happen. This was the tiebreaker mechanism.  If only the tiebreaker had been decided by putting each team captain into one room and whoever solved that math formula quickest would be the winner. Accuse me of bias or of (positive) stereotyping, but I would have liked the Taiwan guy’s chances. Instead it ended Cuba, Italy, Netherlands,  Panama and Taiwan in that order. 

Looks like my son's 15U tourney rules based on run differential.

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

The sabers have taken over the WBC!  Those bastards ruin everything.