2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Now, Mr. Manuel & Mr. Ono - Do the right thing and credit those 4 victories to Sherrone Moore and give him the 4-0 start he deserves.  

If I had to guess, this will be done.... eventually. I think as Harbaugh wanes from people's minds and Moore begins his legacy, people will eventually look back and make this move, very quietly. It might be a year or two from now, but he'll get them back.

Giving them to Harbaugh was an emotional move done as a middle finger to the NCAA, it's not based in logic.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like the latest is that Cullen is backing out and Wink Martindale might interview tomorrow.  I don't like that we are getting Don Brown ish guy when we want young and hungry recruiters.  But, if he does sign, it will mean the scheme won't have to change much. 

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

sounds like the latest is that Cullen is backing out and Wink Martindale might interview tomorrow.  I don't like that we are getting Don Brown ish guy when we want young and hungry recruiters.  But, if he does sign, it will mean the scheme won't have to change much. 

they'e lost half their coaching staff, have a middling recruiting class coming in, and have a killer schedule.  their rival spent $13 million accumulating the best players in the portal, have a top class, brought almost everyone back, and get michigan at home.

save all your 2023 tapes because i have a feeling this is the high point of michigan football for a while.

IF Martindale is hired he will bring his LB coach with him..  A fellow named Drew Wilkins. 

The fear is an older coach isn't going to recruit well.  Hopefully, Moore can hire the GM to be a person dynamic enough to recruit and retain in the modern era.  

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

IF Martindale is hired he will bring his LB coach with him..  A fellow named Drew Wilkins. 

The fear is an older coach isn't going to recruit well.  Hopefully, Moore can hire the GM to be a person dynamic enough to recruit and retain in the modern era.  

macdonald didnt recruit either.  as long as they have some younger coaches around, that should help with recruiting.

the "gm" spot will be very important.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

macdonald didnt recruit either.  as long as they have some younger coaches around, that should help with recruiting.

the "gm" spot will be very important.

Concur.  that guy hopefully has Mojo Nixon-on-cocaine levels of energy. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

According to Rivals, Ohio State has 3 5stars and 14 4star recruits coming in.  Michigan has no 5star and 17 4stars coming.  It's not like there's an real difference in the quality of the recruiting classes even though Ohio State is ranked 4th and Michigan 13th.  

there is a significant difference, especially when you add the portal transfers in.

michigan has recently been able to make up that difference through development.  with harbaugh and half the staff now gone, i dont know if that will continue.

the rules are changing.  the portal is the wave of the future.  and paying those kids in the portal is paramount.  michigan has so far declined to go that route.  if they continue to do that, they are likely to fall behind.

michigan survived because it had one of the best coaches in football who's dream job was to coach them.  if moore is a unicorn like harbaugh, maybe it will work?  i have my doubts.

michigan has had one top 10 recruiting class since 2020.  ohio state has never had anything less than a top 5 class.

michigan recruits like penn state and notre dame, not like ohio state, bama, georgia, lsu, and (lately) oregon.

like i said, they make up for it with development and coaching.

michigan's bball team has been destroyed by an inability to get substantial recruits in the portal and to keep their best players out of the portal.  michigan couldnt (wouldnt?) outbid kansas for hunter dickinson.  the halcyon days of michigan not paying kids (over the table) to be athletes is over.  they need to get with the modern times.

if the football team starts to fail, they will.  once they wise up and get rid of warde manuel they will.  but it will take some time and letting the younger generation of michigan regents/leaders to take over from all the stuffy fuddy duddies like g2.  🙂

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan has had one top 10 recruiting class since 2020.  ohio state has never had anything less than a top 5 class.

michigan recruits like penn state and notre dame, not like ohio state, bama, georgia, lsu, and (lately) oregon.

like i said, they make up for it with development and coaching.

michigan's bball team has been destroyed by an inability to get substantial recruits in the portal and to keep their best players out of the portal.  michigan couldnt (wouldnt?) outbid kansas for hunter dickinson.  the halcyon days of michigan not paying kids (over the table) to be athletes is over.  they need to get with the modern times.

if the football team starts to fail, they will.  once they wise up and get rid of warde manuel they will.  but it will take some time and letting the younger generation of michigan regents/leaders to take over from all the stuffy fuddy duddies like g2.  🙂

It's all about the money Buddha. And under NIL the U can't even spend its own money on the athletes - that's the absurdity of if. It's not like the Regents can put $20M in a pot (even if they wanted to)  that the coaches can dole out, they have go through the dog and pony show of paying more people in development to go out and rustle up outside donors of those funds. It's pretty clear why and OSU or Alabama is already better at doing that. Plus the State of Michigan isn't silicon valley - the business $ pool in MI is a lot thinner here than it used to be in the glory days of the big three.

But it's even more than that. Even under direct payments - which are probably coming, the 'U' is going to make a calculation about whether they get a real return on the money they put out or not. If they get just as much ticket and media revenue at 9-4 with little prospect of winning another championship but without spending another $20-30M as they do with top recruiting teams and the occasional trip to the playoff, don't expect them to value wins over dollars. That's the real "Michigan Difference" -  that they their eye firmly on the bottom line. Maybe Ono is a big enough sports fan that could shift, but that has been the real tradition. They will only play to win if it's profitable. It may be but under the current system it may also not be.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Aside from the fact we don't know how any of these kids are going to develop, it's not like there's some huge gap between a 5 star and a 4 star recruit.  Michigan has beat Ohio State 3 years in a row even though Ohio State supposedly had a better recruiting class in 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023.  

are you just ignoring all i'm saying about development?  i've said over and over that michigan's "secret sauce" has been their ability to develop players.

and you're ignoring the portal too.  osu has made it rain in the portal and pulled in a number of other great players.

michigan recruits at a high level.  but not the highest level.  that was not a problem for the last three years versus osu and last year versus alabama.  it was a problem for the previous 20 years.

it's only a "problem" if michigan wants to compete for national championships.  they were a solid football team under harbaugh before the last three years, they just couldnt beat ohio state.

and i think beating osu had more to do with ditching don brown, harbaugh going back to his roots, and osu having to get rid of scumbag urban meyer than anything else.

but michigan doesnt beat osu without 5 star will johnson, 5 star jj mccarthy (who wanted to go to osu and notre dame but they turned him down) and 5 star donovan edwards.

5*s matter at some positions more than others (cornerback and quarterback).  again, michigan has done a great job of unearthing talent and developing it.  but to continue to be at the top of a now uber competitive big ten (remember, michigan only had two tough games last year, next year they have 5), they will need to do a better job of getting (and paying) top tier talent.  

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

are you just ignoring all i'm saying about development?  i've said over and over that michigan's "secret sauce" has been their ability to develop players.

and you're ignoring the portal too.  osu has made it rain in the portal and pulled in a number of other great players.

michigan recruits at a high level.  but not the highest level.  that was not a problem for the last three years versus osu and last year versus alabama.  it was a problem for the previous 20 years.

Development is great, but is that a sustainable advantage? I don't see any built in reason to say M is likely to stay better at it than their competition. It seem like just a passing property of a particular coaching staff, and coaching staffs turn over pretty fast.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Development is great, but is that a sustainable advantage? I don't see any built in reason to say M is likely to stay better at it than their competition. It seem like just a passing property of a particular coaching staff, and coaching staffs turn over pretty fast.

i agree with you.  

Oregon has deeper pockets than Ohio State.  Phil Knight is the perfect benefactor and has poured millions into players this offseason.   They got 2 of the top portal QB’s, the top WR and CB.  He also personally ensured their head coach didn’t go Alabama.  That’s big, big dollars and  I think he’s just getting started and will write whatever checks it takes to get Oregon their first title.  

Edited by Hongbit

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Oregon has deeper pockets than Ohio State.  Phil Knight is the perfect benefactor and has poured millions into players this offseason.   They got 2 of the top portal QB’s, the top WR and CB.  He also personally ensured their head coach didn’t go Alabama.  That’s big, big dollars and  I think he’s just getting started and will write whatever checks it takes to get Oregon their first title.  

phil knight will die at some point and oregon likely dies with him.

• Like 1

I saw some Michigan fan tweet about "what is Stephen Ross doing?" and i'm like...screw these f'in billionaires as saviors.   Of course they do have the ability to change the World with their eyebrows.  What if our billionaires suck?  What if they want to replace the dollar with bitcoin?  What if they want everyone to change their underwear twice a day and insist that it be worn on the outside so we can check?

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Phil Knight is the perfect benefactor

as long as NIL is the thing, a single big donor is going to be able have a big impact - which is one of the reasons that at any given time, most the teams want to see the NIL system end in favor of something they can better control. But even with big donors, most want themselves memorialized, and NIL is an ephemera - it's paid and gone; there is no remembrance, so I think the number of guys doing what Knight is doing is probably going to fall as the novelty wears off.

Too bad 80’s corporate raider T Boone Pickens isn’t alive for this era.  He poured in hundreds of millions trying to get Oklahoma State football to be a power.  He actually paid to build the entire stadium.  I can’t imagine how crazy he’d go if he could get the money right to players and recruits.