2023 Michigan Football

djhutch

With the Spring Game behind us & recruiting slowing down a bit as we head toward summer, I figured this was as good a time as any to start fresh with a thread for the new season.

Saw this on the Athletic, which is a paywall but fairly cheap.  Feldman calls this Harbaugh's best team.

https://theathletic.com/4402667/2023/04/12/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-most-intriguing-team/

feldman loves michigan.  they give him a lot of access.

that said, this michigan team has few obvious question marks (depth at corner and potentially offensive tackle) and has harbaugh's usual pansy ooc schedule.

they have 3 games on the schedule that should be tough: at penn state, at michigan state, and ohio state at home.

it would be a big disappointment to lose more than one game if jj stays healthy.  the expectation should be 12-0.

• Like 1

Feldman brings up some good points about the usual loaded SEC juggernauts and OSU having to replace some key players but those teams always reload, they're chalked full of 5 star recruits just ready to step in and play so the team doesn't miss a beat. 

They probably would've gotten steamrolled by UGA anyway but last year was probably their best chance to win a CFP game, not that TCU was a bad team but by CFP standards you are unlikely to get an easier matchup. It's too bad UM came out of the gates slow and JJ's mistakes were of the catastrophic variety. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Feldman brings up some good points about the usual loaded SEC juggernauts and OSU having to replace some key players but those teams always reload, they're chalked full of 5 star recruits just ready to step in and play so the team doesn't miss a beat. 

They probably would've gotten steamrolled by UGA anyway but last year was probably their best chance to win a CFP game, not that TCU was a bad team but by CFP standards you are unlikely to get an easier matchup. It's too bad UM came out of the gates slow and JJ's mistakes were of the catastrophic variety. 

I purposely made a 2023 thread so I wouldn't have to relive that. Thanks. 🤕 😁

• 2 weeks later...

As of now they still got a home and home with Oklahoma in 25 and 26 as well so this appears to be the last year for awhile that they don't have and quality teams on their non conference schedule. 

Btw I guess the reason for the UT switch was because of Texas moving to the SEC now if they held the game in Austin then FOX wouldn't have the rights to broadcast iy but apparently if it's in Ann Arbor they can so they were the main reason behind the flip. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan hasnt panicked and bought the game out yet?  i mean, they might need to bring in central hawaii or southeasteen connecticut womens college.

Vancouver's Simon Fraser University got dropped from the Lone Star Conference (NCAA Division II) so could use a game. Make it happen, Michigan.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/02/canadas-only-ncaa-football-team-simon-fraser-to-be-dropped-by-lone-star-conference/

Michigan got two more 4 star recruits including the number 2 TE in the country. With those additions UM moves up to number 1 in 247s rankings. Assuming they keep all of them this is a major turnaround vs. last year and an obvious welcome sight.

Admittedly ignorant to the NIL stuff but did Michigan finally make the changes needed to beable to recruit with the big boys?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

He had tweets suggesting slavery and Jim Crow laws help strengthen African Americans.

I had a hard time reconciling that guy being in recruiting and Michigan retaining a top 5 recruiting class if some of those recruits were sentient.  His Dad was a great coach and a mediocre human being (e.g., Ernie Harwell, Dr. Anderson).   I also have a hard time reconciling Jim Harbaugh who had the world's greatest "woke storyline" player on his team in Colin Kaepernick, but who resolutely wanted to watch "American Sniper" but who campaigned for Obama and Hillary but who supported the anti-abortion campaign in Michigan.   He's a weird dude but a very good football coach.   Not to make too much of a virtue of the weirdness but in a smaller sense, i feel frankly, America could use more people who are all over the map and aren't' cookie cutter on politics..

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

I had a hard time reconciling that guy being in recruiting and Michigan retaining a top 5 recruiting class if some of those recruits were sentient.  His Dad was a great coach and a mediocre human being (e.g., Ernie Harwell, Dr. Anderson).   I also have a hard time reconciling Jim Harbaugh who had the world's greatest "woke storyline" player on his team in Colin Kaepernick, but who resolutely wanted to watch "American Sniper" but who campaigned for Obama and Hillary but who supported the anti-abortion campaign in Michigan.   He's a weird dude but a very good football coach.   Not to make too much of a virtue of the weirdness but in a smaller sense, i feel frankly, America could use more people who are all over the map and aren't' cookie cutter on politics..

im not sure how to read that post.  you have a hard time reconciling harbaugh being pro-kapernick and anti-abortion yet you wish we had more weird people in politics?

bo was a great football coach, what he was outside of that was as a man of his time.  imperfect in all sorts of ways.

shemy's personal politics shouldnt keep him from a job, but we live in 2023 where everything is political and there is no boundary between the public and the private.

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

shemy's personal politics shouldnt keep him from a job,

well, maybe. As a practical matter if you connect yourself in public  - which social media is - with things that are going make you personna non grata in the target population where your job has a public facing responsibility, then you have cut yourself off at the knees as an effective employee and that's a situation it's fair for any employer to consider.

>but we live in 2023 where everything is political and there is no boundary between the public and the private.

Too true and who knows where it ends, but maybe this case will not turn out to be the hill to die on about it. And we will probably also  get 10 different versions of it before long.

Edited by gehringer_2

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

im not sure how to read that post.  you have a hard time reconciling harbaugh being pro-kapernick and anti-abortion yet you wish we had more weird people in politics?

bo was a great football coach, what he was outside of that was as a man of his time.  imperfect in all sorts of ways.

shemy's personal politics shouldnt keep him from a job, but we live in 2023 where everything is political and there is no boundary between the public and the private.

Being all over the map isn't the same as being racist.  Deal-breaker.

He should’ve stuck to anti-semitism.  That doesn’t even get a suspension.  Not sure how they rationalize the response to Edwards retweet of Kanye versus whatever this guy did.   Guess it doesn’t matter since he’s was effectively done as any type of recruiter once these came out.   

And frankly, Warde Manuel has no business having his position.   Just too many questionable things have been happening.  Coverups upon coverups.  It's been disgraceful and certainly makes Michigan's claims of integrity and honor look like a joke.     You didn't have anyone check the man's Social media posts?    You just fired a coach for hacking into co-worker's emails a year ago, you think they would have thought of it.   Nepotism blew up in their face.    

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He should’ve stuck to anti-semitism.  That doesn’t even get a suspension.  Not sure how they rationalize the response to Edwards retweet of Kanye versus whatever this guy did.   Guess it doesn’t matter since he’s was effectively done as any type of recruiter once these came out.   

They can always use "youthful ignorance" for Edwards but he and Smith didn't even get suspensions, not even a half for what they did last year.   Could have suspended them for one of the weaklings on the schedule and nobody would really question them. 

And yes, how do you recruit young black men and face their parents believing that stupid **** about slavery.    Jesus, it's the same attitude Calvin Candie had in Django Unchained.   

surely the narrative will now be that the younger Schembechler goes to OSU and kills it as a recruiter.   Although I don't see any evidence that Mattison or Washington succeeded at OSU when they did their heel turns.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

surely the narrative will now be that the younger Schembechler goes to OSU and kills it as a recruiter.   Although I don't see any evidence that Mattison or Washington succeeded at OSU when they did their heel turns.

Mattison's D at OSU was generally better than ours under Brown other than maybe Brown's 1st year. I get the idea of needing enough youth on the staff to stay connected with young players, but you weren't actually getting that in hiring Brown who was hardly a young coach. He as a 'flavor of the month' hire that turned out to be a one trick pony. I think Mattison was the better coach at core. That said, Harbaugh did succeed in transitioning to a younger staff in the post Covid re-org.

Edited by gehringer_2